GhettoWheelSlammerHowTo

Related:
Create New Tag

4/16/2015 6:57 PM

Not exaggerating when I say GHETTO. There's many ways/materials you can use to do this, but I been using these for years and they hold up. I've made some for friends as well, it's ghetto but it works. So if you're a cheap ass and have loose chain issues during a sesh, you're in the right place. (hopefully you can find what you need for free)..(any small scrap metal that's easy to manipulate will work, if you can't find solder)

1. you'll need: spool of solder, pliers, wire cutter, hammer, any tape (just noticed no pliers inda pic fuuu)
2. snip a piece of solder, 1 1/2" inchs or so, exact size doesn't matter right now
3. fold in half
4. like this
5. take your hammer, gently flatten it, not too flat
6. grab the pliers and work it
7. about this much
8. use the cutters to snip off excess, not too much
9. make as many as you need, lay it on some tape
10. rap it
11. shove into dropout
12. screw on a nut, not tight(protect them threads) Gently tap it until the solder conforms

So, make two, install them and hammer away. You may need to add a couple more thin layers to really dial it in. Eventually you'll end up with solid, custom wheel slammers. CUSTOM AS F$@#

Photo

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

4/16/2015 7:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2015 7:56 PM

Almost forgot about these, thanks for making this haha, and that looks way better than the rocks i used to shove in my dropout might have to try it

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

4/16/2015 7:58 PM

Rocks!??! Thats some manly shit right there lol

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

4/16/2015 8:06 PM

Neat idea for sure haha.

I remember seeing people use pins from chains as makeshift wheel slammers too, but your method looks to be more precise than that.

|

4/16/2015 9:05 PM

if you really want to get dedicated:
buy a shitty cracked stock frame, saw the dropout off
drill it and nail it to a table
measure how offset your wheel needs to be
fill with solder and melt until it reaches the desired offset and pull out of dropout

might work if you can keep the solder from bonding to the dropout

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

4/16/2015 10:50 PM

Yeah Steve, I've thought of that actually. I added welds to the dropouts of my previous frame for slamming. Making some removable ones as to not void warranty is even better, I agree. And I've got everything I need to do so... but I'm a lazy, satisfied mother frucker hahaha.

More than content with my ghetto shit.

|

4/17/2015 1:20 AM

I've been riding for 16 years and never heard of slammers. This is some crazy shit, haha. I just throw my ratchet handle between my tire and chainstay bridge and crank the shit out of the bolts. I had built in tensioners, but I took them out 'cause they always came loose, anyways. Whatever works...cool idea.

|

Check my bikecheck
Eat shit or die tryin', yo!

4/17/2015 2:16 AM

WaldoBMX wrote:

I've been riding for 16 years and never heard of slammers. This is some crazy shit, haha. I just throw my ratchet handle between my tire and chainstay bridge and crank the shit out of the bolts. I had built in tensioners, but I took them out 'cause they always came loose, anyways. Whatever works...cool idea.

This, I've always stuck something in my seatstay bridge and pulled it back for maximum tightness of the chain while tightening my rear wheel. I never understand how people can get decently tight chains with holding just the rear wheel with their bare hands.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/17/2015 7:39 AM

Im happy im back to riding a suday so i don't have to worry about this stuff haha

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

4/17/2015 8:07 AM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Im happy im back to riding a suday so i don't have to worry about this stuff haha

Yeah, that's how I feel about it. haha

Plus with 25/9 and a ratchet hub, i can run my Sunday almost slammed without any trouble and just a little tightening of the tensioners.

I love tensioners. They're great and yet another reason I love my Sunday. They do get mangled after a long time but the looser my chain gets, the more crank flips i can do. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

4/17/2015 8:22 AM

Buddies of mine used anti rotation pins for pegs before. They would put the pin in front of the axle in the dropout for this very purpose.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura