Ghettorigonomotry!

Related:
Create New Tag

8/24/2013 6:04 PM

Hey guys! As you all may know my friend maximus bikes is a professional at ghettorigonometry. if you dont know what that is it's the art of ghetto rigging. Well anyhow I was riding today with him and stocksy having a great time! My knurling on my bars is stripped off while my stem isn't the greatest, and while we were riding today all my bars did was slip it was getting me intensely angry. Everyone there was saying get new bars and i stem but i don't have the money for that! So my dad is an amazing mechanic so i am gonna have him weld the bars to them stem until i get enough money for new parts! I just thought this may be enjoying to some of you! Give me your feed back or tell me about one you ghetto rigged something!

|

SHIT HAPPENS

8/24/2013 6:07 PM

Everything i owned has at one time been ghetto rigged.. Everything i touch or break then becomes ghetto rigged.. lol

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/25/2013 3:19 AM

i ghetto rigged a seat once. it involved LOTS of duct tape...

|

Bruh

8/25/2013 3:32 AM

I think a successful ghetto rig is almost if not as much satisfying when you make it work then just putting a new part on haha. I just rigged up a upper gyro cable with a too small gyro cable some knarps and extra cable housing and that gyro runs smooth as fuck now

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

8/25/2013 3:33 AM

Pretty sure you can't weld aluminum to steel. Aluminum's melting point is a lot lower than steels

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

8/25/2013 5:09 AM

Welding won't work. Different metals

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

8/25/2013 5:45 AM

Wow....just wow

|

It’s all bmx

8/25/2013 7:45 AM

What I did when i had that issue was get a very thin piece of aluminum sheet metal and cut a shim out of it to wrap around my bars at the knurling. It filled up the extra space so that my bars stopped slipping, took like 30 seconds, and I could use the bars and stem on other bars and stems. Try that before even thinking about welding, which most likely won't work anyways.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

8/25/2013 9:01 AM

future FBM wrote:

Exactly one is chromoly and other is aluminum.

|

A bike is not a bike if it doesn't have air in the tires.
Bike Check
BSD Front Street Hub Review
Primo Mix Review
Why You WEAR a mouthguard!
Refs.
\BMX-1995/

8/25/2013 9:02 AM

future FBM wrote:

its possible long as his dad puts more heat on the steel so it mealts around the same time the aluminum dose. it is extremly hard to get them to fue together but it is possible

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/25/2013 9:05 AM

my rigged stem . dont have it anymore tho lol
|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check

8/25/2013 9:54 AM

I'm not sure it will work but put skateboard grip tape or sand paper around that part of the bars.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

8/25/2013 4:53 PM

No you aren't.

Stem = aluminum

Bars = Chromoly steel.

You cannot weld them together.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2013 4:54 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

What I did when i had that issue was get a very thin piece of aluminum sheet metal and cut a shim out of it to wrap around my ...more

This. Soda can works AWESOME.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2013 4:59 PM

future FBM wrote:

jj0996 wrote:

its possible long as his dad puts more heat on the steel so it mealts around the same time the aluminum dose. it is extremly ...more

My degree in welding says you are wrong.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2013 5:33 PM

future FBM wrote:

jj0996 wrote:

its possible long as his dad puts more heat on the steel so it mealts around the same time the aluminum dose. it is extremly ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

but you know is what the book says, and what they say in school. i have seen it done before

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check

8/25/2013 6:40 PM

Wow I completely forgot about this thread! So much hate! My dad can do it. He just said it would be a waste of time because it wouldnt be as strong as steel to aluminum. So he did something else that i didnt pay atention to but it worked!

|

SHIT HAPPENS

8/25/2013 6:46 PM

chaz.bryan wrote:

Wow I completely forgot about this thread! So much hate! My dad can do it. He just said it would be a waste of time because it ...more

Probably brazed it.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

8/25/2013 6:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/25/2013 6:54 PM

jj0996 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

jj0996 wrote:

but you know is what the book says, and what they say in school. i have seen it done before

I know what my experience also says. If you heat the steel up hot enough to weld it, and the aluminum next to it would just melt to liquid and NOT bond them. The metals are too chemically different to correctly bond like welding steel to steel.

I bet what you saw was aluminum melted onto the steel that ACTED like putting glue on it.

And to anyone saying otherwise, show me legitimate proof. I am 100% certain that you CAN NOT weld aluminum to steel legitimately with strong and safe results. Your filler between the two would only mesh with one correctly, and not at all for the other.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2013 6:57 PM

Dave is defo right on this, if not i will eat my dog.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12