Gloss clearcoat or mattle clearcoat spray paint

Related:
Create New Tag

8/21/2015 8:01 PM

So my friend wants to raw his friend but he don't know what kind of spray paint to buy which one would you recmmond on getting and why and what's the difference between the two.

|

8/21/2015 8:22 PM

gloss clear
Photo

Matte clear
Photo

|

8/21/2015 8:33 PM

Gloss looks better in my opinion. When he raws it you can use sandpaper but it takes forever use aircraft stripper or clean strip. If he wants a shiny raw sand it with high grit sandpaper 800-1500 if he wants the dark grey leave it alone and just clear it.

|

8/22/2015 12:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2015 12:56 AM

CamelOnAcid wrote:

Gloss looks better in my opinion. When he raws it you can use sandpaper but it takes forever use aircraft stripper or clean ...more

Gloss does look way better honestly. I brush rawed my last frame and it took like 3-4 hours straight and my hands were numb in the end because of the power drill. Lol. But if your buddy is doing it to get the weld bluing marks like the above frames, don't use sandpaper or a wire brush because it will take them off within seconds! Strip the paint with paint stripper only and leave it on as long as possible too so it gets ALL the paint off in one wipe with a towel/rag or whatever you're using, and don't use a flat razor either as it will scratch it. Oh and don't get that shit on your hands cuz it burns like a mofo! Then wash the frame with very lightly soapy water and clean every inch of it perfectly(can't stress this enough, even inside the ht/bb tubes) with iso alcohol or whatever. Make sure that's all cleaned off and dried, then paint it in multiple light even coats, allowing dry time between coats. Clear coat drips very easily compared to regular paint, and you can't see it unless you're literally right up next to it. Only problem with spray can clear compared to factory powdercoat is it's going to crack at some point and the frame will start rusting underneath, and powder dirt will get stuck in the cracks making it really obvious. This happened on my last frame, and while it does look good with a little patina imo(like an old car/truck), rust is never good regardless. And I know you have this thing called winter in PA, so it will destroy it quick. I don't know anything about that being from So Cal/AZ tho. Haha. We only have one season in both states. Only other good advice I can give is leave it somewhere with good airflow for like 2-3 days before putting it back together to give the paint time to dry and harden. This is pretty important, so tell him to fight the urge if he's impatient(I know I am, so that's why I'm saying this. Lol), because it will make a difference in the end and may save him from having to do this all over again

|

8/22/2015 5:20 AM

Liking that matte finish though.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

8/22/2015 10:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2015 10:25 AM

Photo

Here are some bars I rawed last night with paint stripper and sandpaper. I put gloss clear on them. Not the best pic but you get the idea.
|

8/22/2015 10:53 AM

What's the mattle?

|

8/22/2015 11:05 AM

no coat FTW Photo

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

8/22/2015 5:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2015 5:34 PM

Another point I'd like to add is, brushing/sandpaper also removes the rust proof coating on the metal, where as paint stripper doesn't. This will void the warranties on your parts! Just a heads up

|

8/22/2015 5:43 PM

Gloss looks better in my opinion

|