Gnarliest Underrated Riders

Related:
Create New Tag

10/13/2020 1:40 PM

I'm street oriented here so here are my picks..

Zack Gerber (One of the most known riders in this list, still underrated nonetheless)



Logan Penberg (New and upcoming rider)

* No edit * @loganpenberg

Jordan Hango (Another known rider, still doesn't get enough credit for his INSANE power)



Denis Yakimov (I say maybe the best Russian street rider ever)


^ crappy instagram edit oh well^

Maycon Duarte (No edit, just know this man MANUALED UP a double kink rail)

@mayconduarte4pegs

Juan Andriano (Craziest flatland tech I've seen)

@juanandrianobmx
|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

10/13/2020 2:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2020 11:30 PM

See. This is what I like.

Sergio Layos does NOT get the respect he deserves. This man was a triple threat. Street, dirt, & vert. His style & smoothness is right there with Ruben.



Will Taubin needs to be in those bmx history books. Old school street riders love him but we need the modern day riders to go watch Don't Quit Your Day Job & the first Animal video.



Charlie Crumlish is my favorite modern rider. He looks at shit the way I do. Everything is rideable. He makes me want brakes... But I suck at keeping wheels straight & I hate messing with them... But Charlie makes me want them.



Ricky Lopez aka Montana Ricky is ballet on 2 wheels. Not only is he one of my best friends but dude is so entertaining to watch on a bike. Fucking bike control for days.



And my final one

Brian Fucking Terada. I say this daily. His Etnies Forward part needs to play in the Smithsonian. Everything was tight & smooth... Pause.



There's so many others I could name that no one talks about. Mike Tag, Mike Griffin, Max Gaertig, Andrew Faris, Tobias Wicked, Markus Wilke, Mike Ardelean. And that's just from the 90s/2000s. Casey Sterling, Jarren Barboza, Brandon Gauthreax.
|

10/13/2020 2:24 PM

hango hango hango

|

10/13/2020 3:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2020 3:14 PM

Jared swafford- pegs hard 180 whip a rail in 2013 and super dialed whips, 180 whipped a 26” tons of Smith combos

Danny hickerson- dude could ride everything and had the most dialed whips back in like 2005

Max geartig- hop whips both ways in 06 and tons of burly tricks

seth Peterson- iirc he did a decade on street in like 08 and had a good part in “it do”

Loz Taylor- great east coast street style, good whips, bars, and tons of rail and coaster lines

Dan cox- best free coaster style

Bob scerbo- not that he’s unknown but his 2007 skavenger part is literally how everyone rides now. Him and Edwin really created the current street riding

Edit-
spencer foresman I know he’s a YouTuber and such but If you watch his clips in props mega tour he was doing lots of dialed shit like 3 flips and all kinds of big drops at like 19

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/13/2020 8:46 PM

Alright.. between that other who shouldn't be pro thread, and this thread..

Take into account, street= kinda flat, and bike control= bike control...

This dude is underrated enormously...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2oRF-jZPUpk


Pretty sure he sold his soul to be that badass...

|





10/13/2020 10:22 PM

Matt Ray, tho I am biased since I am a New Englander.

|

10/14/2020 1:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 1:05 AM

Park guy checking in. tongue

Jack Borthwick
Technical wizard, bike control is unreal.



Tristan Aarts
I'm a little biased towards his riding since he does scooter tricks, but c'mon it's insane.

View this post on Instagram

Sneaky new little one from today🔥 @actionsportperformance.com.au @fitstop_westend #bmx #ausbmx #instabmx

A post shared by Tristan Aarts (@tristanaarts) on





Tyler Lichkay
Just watch this clip.

View this post on Instagram

NOSY 720! 😁@thekitchenskatepark 🎥@brettbanasiewicz @thewebbieshow

A post shared by Tyler Lichkay (@tylerlichkaybmx) on

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

10/14/2020 3:14 AM

Liam Fahy Hampton.

|

10/14/2020 4:32 AM

Oh boy there are some solid choices listed already.

I'm old, and have 21+ years under my belt, so this list will be biased to the mid-school era some:

Brian Wizmerski
Brian Terada
Biz
Beringer-should have been WAY more in the limelight
Brian Vowell -360 to hang 5 over a spine like 15 years ago, bar to hang 5 before everyone did hang 5s everywhere
Josh Stricker
Josh Harrington
Josh Heino
John Heaton
Dave Osato
Adam Baker
Cory Nastazio
Cory Bohan
(even though he went off the deep end) Guettler
Tom Haugen
Dustin Grice (super good rider, owner of Life Brand (Think Ride with your state in the word)
CRANDALL
Eric Holley
Adam Banton


I could go on, but it would basically be a list of pretty much all of the dudes from around 2000-2006 or so that were in the limelight but seem to have been pretty well lost in the history books.

If you need some stuff to watch, youtube any one of those names. They are all awesome. Of just watch Road Fools and Mega Tours.



|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/14/2020 5:16 AM

So many really fuckin cool riders in this thread. If he wasn’t already mentioned I’d have gone Sergio for sure. Since he has, I’m gonna throw Will Gunn into the ring. This is his best section (admittedly from a few years ago), and his riding is definitely best witnessed in person, but he rides it all, and does so with power and style.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhBN0qWahXE

|

10/14/2020 5:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 6:22 AM

Brian Wizmerski- When he put out his Resist part, i thought he could be the next corey martinez...he just didn't have the longevity but he was talented

Matt Ray- I know he's top of the game but he doesn't get the same respect as ppl like chad, garrett, dennis....he should have won gold at the xgames 2 years ago

Hobie Doan- I feel like he's better than travis hughs who has a signature frame from the same sponsor, i know travis has been with the company longer

Spencer Foresman- I know someone mentioned him, just when you watch his youtube, it seems like he finds a spot and just can call out whatever he wants and he just does it, i know he falls a lot and maybe its the husky nation thing but he seems like he can do whatever he wants on a bike

Colin Varanyak- I know he gets a ton of attention but i honestly prefer watching him over garrett, really think he's top tier street rider

|

10/14/2020 6:15 AM

younggotti wrote:

Brian Wizmerski- When he put out his Resist part, i thought he could be the next corey martinez...he just didn't have the longevity but he was talented

Matt Ray- I know he's top of the game but he doesn't get the same respect as ppl like chad, garrett, dennis....he should have won gold at the xgames 2 years ago

Hobie Doan- I feel like he's better than travis hughs who has a signature frame from the same sponsor, i know travis has been with the company longer

Spencer Foresman- I know someone mentioned him, just when you watch his youtube, it seems like he finds a spot and just can call out whatever he wants and he just does it, i know he falls a lot and maybe its the husky nation thing but he seems like he can do whatever he wants on a bike

Colin Varanyak- I know he gets a ton of attention but i honestly prefer watching him over garrett, really think he's top tier street rider

Wiz in Wide Awake Nightmare was INCREDIBLE.

Chris Doyle. Guy is a style MACHINE. Podiumed a TON without ever going upside down. Killed the streets, park and trails.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/14/2020 7:19 AM

Wayne S wrote:

Matt Ray, tho I am biased since I am a New Englander.

I would agree with you on this. The guy can throw down but hardly gets any attention.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/14/2020 7:21 AM

I would say Nick Bruce.
He is out there but if you ever see him ride in person... Wow.

Jaie Toohey as well. He doest get half the attention that Logan or Brandon gets but he can throw down with the best of them.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/14/2020 7:32 AM

Four wrote:

Jared swafford- pegs hard 180 whip a rail in 2013 and super dialed whips, 180 whipped a 26” tons of Smith combos

Danny hickerson- dude could ride everything and had the most dialed whips back in like 2005

Max geartig- hop whips both ways in 06 and tons of burly tricks

seth Peterson- iirc he did a decade on street in like 08 and had a good part in “it do”

Loz Taylor- great east coast street style, good whips, bars, and tons of rail and coaster lines

Dan cox- best free coaster style

Bob scerbo- not that he’s unknown but his 2007 skavenger part is literally how everyone rides now. Him and Edwin really created the current street riding

Edit-
spencer foresman I know he’s a YouTuber and such but If you watch his clips in props mega tour he was doing lots of dialed shit like 3 flips and all kinds of big drops at like 19

100% agree with dan cox. He was on the freecoaster game fairly early and had the nicest style. There’s others from his scene like Tom Blythe, Josh Bedford (pegless!), Marv, and Dan’s brother joe. Voices and tomorrow we work are my favourite dvds of all time, they really shook up the uk street scene

|

10/14/2020 7:56 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Park guy checking in. tongue

Jack Borthwick
Technical wizard, bike control is unreal.



Tristan Aarts
I'm a little biased towards his riding since he does scooter tricks, but c'mon it's insane.

View this post on Instagram

Sneaky new little one from today🔥 @actionsportperformance.com.au @fitstop_westend #bmx #ausbmx #instabmx

A post shared by Tristan Aarts (@tristanaarts) on





Tyler Lichkay
Just watch this clip.

View this post on Instagram

NOSY 720! 😁@thekitchenskatepark 🎥@brettbanasiewicz @thewebbieshow

A post shared by Tyler Lichkay (@tylerlichkaybmx) on

Great choices!

|

10/14/2020 8:51 AM

Four wrote:

Jared swafford- pegs hard 180 whip a rail in 2013 and super dialed whips, 180 whipped a 26” tons of Smith combos

Danny hickerson- dude could ride everything and had the most dialed whips back in like 2005

Max geartig- hop whips both ways in 06 and tons of burly tricks

seth Peterson- iirc he did a decade on street in like 08 and had a good part in “it do”

Loz Taylor- great east coast street style, good whips, bars, and tons of rail and coaster lines

Dan cox- best free coaster style

Bob scerbo- not that he’s unknown but his 2007 skavenger part is literally how everyone rides now. Him and Edwin really created the current street riding

Edit-
spencer foresman I know he’s a YouTuber and such but If you watch his clips in props mega tour he was doing lots of dialed shit like 3 flips and all kinds of big drops at like 19

.pegless. wrote:

100% agree with dan cox. He was on the freecoaster game fairly early and had the nicest style. There’s others from his scene like Tom Blythe, Josh Bedford (pegless!), Marv, and Dan’s brother joe. Voices and tomorrow we work are my favourite dvds of all time, they really shook up the uk street scene

Agreed with ya man those are two of my favorite videos as well, watched them both tons. I bought a coaster years ago because of Dan Cox part, he was nice on the cassette too. His TWW leftovers were just as good as his video part. Both videos had a good soundtrack too. Marv’s voices part was sick. Marvs another underrated stylish east coast street type rider. Josh Bedford, Liam earnshaw (pretty sure he was pegless too), Dan and Joe, Marv, etc.

On the note of underrated UK riders:
Benny L. His part in both of The Makes videos were super good. Riding that old beat up bike with the bent front wheel doing whips, handrails, curved wall 270,nollie 3s and bars in like 06. I think it was their cut the crap video. I didn’t watch much of his stuff once he got on fit but his old stuff was nice.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/14/2020 3:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 3:14 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Oh boy there are some solid choices listed already.

I'm old, and have 21+ years under my belt, so this list will be biased to the mid-school era some:

Brian Wizmerski
Brian Terada
Biz
Beringer-should have been WAY more in the limelight
Brian Vowell -360 to hang 5 over a spine like 15 years ago, bar to hang 5 before everyone did hang 5s everywhere
Josh Stricker
Josh Harrington
Josh Heino
John Heaton
Dave Osato
Adam Baker
Cory Nastazio
Cory Bohan
(even though he went off the deep end) Guettler
Tom Haugen
Dustin Grice (super good rider, owner of Life Brand (Think Ride with your state in the word)
CRANDALL
Eric Holley
Adam Banton


I could go on, but it would basically be a list of pretty much all of the dudes from around 2000-2006 or so that were in the limelight but seem to have been pretty well lost in the history books.

If you need some stuff to watch, youtube any one of those names. They are all awesome. Of just watch Road Fools and Mega Tours.



dude all the names you quoted are legends and no one of them is underrated .....

|

10/14/2020 5:09 PM

Props to Ready for listing all dudes I've never heard of that are literal bike wizards.

|

10/14/2020 6:27 PM

Tom Justice
Photo

|

10/14/2020 6:57 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

Tom Justice
Photo

Truth!

|

10/14/2020 8:55 PM

Four wrote:

Jared swafford- pegs hard 180 whip a rail in 2013 and super dialed whips, 180 whipped a 26” tons of Smith combos

Danny hickerson- dude could ride everything and had the most dialed whips back in like 2005

Max geartig- hop whips both ways in 06 and tons of burly tricks

seth Peterson- iirc he did a decade on street in like 08 and had a good part in “it do”

Loz Taylor- great east coast street style, good whips, bars, and tons of rail and coaster lines

Dan cox- best free coaster style

Bob scerbo- not that he’s unknown but his 2007 skavenger part is literally how everyone rides now. Him and Edwin really created the current street riding

Edit-
spencer foresman I know he’s a YouTuber and such but If you watch his clips in props mega tour he was doing lots of dialed shit like 3 flips and all kinds of big drops at like 19

.pegless. wrote:

100% agree with dan cox. He was on the freecoaster game fairly early and had the nicest style. There’s others from his scene like Tom Blythe, Josh Bedford (pegless!), Marv, and Dan’s brother joe. Voices and tomorrow we work are my favourite dvds of all time, they really shook up the uk street scene

Four wrote:

Agreed with ya man those are two of my favorite videos as well, watched them both tons. I bought a coaster years ago because of Dan Cox part, he was nice on the cassette too. His TWW leftovers were just as good as his video part. Both videos had a good soundtrack too. Marv’s voices part was sick. Marvs another underrated stylish east coast street type rider. Josh Bedford, Liam earnshaw (pretty sure he was pegless too), Dan and Joe, Marv, etc.

On the note of underrated UK riders:
Benny L. His part in both of The Makes videos were super good. Riding that old beat up bike with the bent front wheel doing whips, handrails, curved wall 270,nollie 3s and bars in like 06. I think it was their cut the crap video. I didn’t watch much of his stuff once he got on fit but his old stuff was nice.

The stuff Benny L is doing since he’s been pegless is nuts! He got a lot of good coverage when he was on fit, loads of signature stuff. Since he left it’s like he’s intentionally gone a bit underground. But riding is weird, a lot of people are more impressed by big or super technical stuff than weird stuff and style.

I said stuff a lot in this post

Matt Miller is underrated.
And Elf, he’s been around years and done a hell of a lot with not much recognition

|

10/15/2020 4:41 AM

julien wrote:

dude all the names you quoted are legends and no one of them is underrated .....

In their time many of them were well known for a bit, yea. I call them underrated because many of these riders are STILL killing it and riding at levels on par with those who are currently in the limelight, but they are just on their own.

Also so many new riders have never heard of these dudes, so a solid list is a good thing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/15/2020 5:10 AM

^ oh yea, share that mid-school goodness to us new schoolers

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

10/15/2020 12:45 PM

BrodieB wrote:

So many really fuckin cool riders in this thread. If he wasn’t already mentioned I’d have gone Sergio for sure. Since he has, I’m gonna throw Will Gunn into the ring. This is his best section (admittedly from a few years ago), and his riding is definitely best witnessed in person, but he rides it all, and does so with power and style.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhBN0qWahXE

Will Gunn for sure. Along with Chris Harti.

Dude straight launches:

|

10/15/2020 2:55 PM

check this guy out: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFID5B6pZlD/ . icepick to hard three to manny 180. as far as im aware he isnt that well known so i'll count him.

|

10/15/2020 3:04 PM

One name NO ONE has mentioned, but the top pros know of is Nic Bonner! He can do every trick everyone else could but both ways But back in the mid 2000’s. He could throw on front brakes and do a standard bykes worthy edit.

Mat Olsen is a boss, never has good filmers but he’s one of the ones you need to see in person and he’ll drop your jaw.

Zack Gerber all day!!!!!

Adrian Vigil (wallride 540 bars in 2004, bar to ice picks on legit rails second only to Brian Terrada)

Matt Sparks lead the way on a ton of the tricks being done today as well.

And most of all Johnny Devlin! Could keep going but those are the first that come to mind, all these guys were way before their time

|

10/15/2020 6:01 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGF2XSnHszT/?igshid=rl4vakq11bol

WOW!! I almost forgot!! I think this guy is the craziest underrated dirt rider I’ve seen... massive jumps with massive tricks he’s got these banger tricks down no sweat pfttt

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFpWgNJHDC3/?igshid=14ofaypa6utqi

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me