Go back to Cassette for Learning?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/10/2020 7:28 AM

I've ridden bmx bikes my whole life, a bit of racing here and there, but only within the last year I've been getting into freestyle bmx. Back in December I decided it was time to for a new ride, as my 2003 redline barely rolled anymore. I got a complete, and it came with a Freecoaster, which I was a fan of because most of my favorite riders ride Freecoasters and I love the style. But all I've really learned how to do is hop, manual, and roll fakie. Should I get myself a cassette and learn how to do it all the right way before riding a Freecoaster? I feel like it would benefit me in learning proper technique. Or should I just stick with the Freecoaster until I can fakie manual 4 blocks?

|

5/10/2020 8:02 AM

Its Dabington wrote:

I've ridden bmx bikes my whole life, a bit of racing here and there, but only within the last year I've been getting into freestyle bmx. Back in December I decided it was time to for a new ride, as my 2003 redline barely rolled anymore. I got a complete, and it came with a Freecoaster, which I was a fan of because most of my favorite riders ride Freecoasters and I love the style. But all I've really learned how to do is hop, manual, and roll fakie. Should I get myself a cassette and learn how to do it all the right way before riding a Freecoaster? I feel like it would benefit me in learning proper technique. Or should I just stick with the Freecoaster until I can fakie manual 4 blocks?

A cassette is not the one and true, freecoasters are not false prophets. They both have their place in the realm of man.

|

5/10/2020 1:13 PM

Yeah, I wouldn’t call cassettes the “right” way, it’s kinda whatever you like! smile

It’ll be a nice breathe of fresh air though, I ride cassette 99% of the time, I swap out for my coaster wheel a couple days a year just to have fun.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/10/2020 1:18 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn’t call cassettes the “right” way, it’s kinda whatever you like! smile

It’ll be a nice breathe of fresh air though, I ride cassette 99% of the time, I swap out for my coaster wheel a couple days a year just to have fun.

I agree, I've just watched a lot of people shit on learning with a Freecoaster so I had been doubting my choice. But I think I'm just gonna stick with it

|

5/10/2020 2:19 PM

People shit on brakes. They shit on brakeless. They shit on freecoasters and cassettes. They shit on taller or longer or shorter bars, backends, and top tubes. They shit on raw frames and pink bikes. They shit on anything they can find to throw shit at.

If you like the options a freecoaster brings, ride it. Neither way is right or proper, there is only preference and opinion. People who throw shit can eat it too.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

5/10/2020 2:33 PM

MJbmx wrote:

People shit on brakes. They shit on brakeless. They shit on freecoasters and cassettes. They shit on taller or longer or shorter bars, backends, and top tubes. They shit on raw frames and pink bikes. They shit on anything they can find to throw shit at.

If you like the options a freecoaster brings, ride it. Neither way is right or proper, there is only preference and opinion. People who throw shit can eat it too.

Facts

|

5/10/2020 3:37 PM

If anything, riding a coaster makes you a better cassette rider.

You already know how to half cab or slider properly using only backward carving, body weight and fine timing.
Unlike a cassette newcomer who’ll use pedal pressure to do ugly pivots on the back wheel to get around.

Transferring approximative cassette skills on a coaster will make the coaster hard to ride, the slack, the fakie balance and no pedal pressure...
But transferring coaster skills to a cassette is super easy, you just have to add backpedaling.

The main thing is that it changes the way you approach things, so just ride whatever feels good.

Personally I ride a coaster most of the time because I like half cabing stuffs at high speed and do some lines involving long fakies, which I don’t do on on a cassette because it doesn’t feels as smooth, but cassette offers a different feeling and it’s nice to switch things up sometimes.

|

5/11/2020 6:36 AM

Cassette is such a cheater wheel.

So is a freecoaster.

mix it up, have fun.

|

5/11/2020 5:23 PM

No need. If you like the style, stick with it. I love riding both.

|

5/12/2020 1:28 AM

Freecoasters don't last as long, they seem to shit themselves faster for guys who do trick heavy stuff and I would say crank flips are a main factor in that situation.

To me it is like going brakeless, unless you throw bars frequently what is the point besides wrecking your shoes?

I see coasters the same way, unless you are into tech tricks I don't see the need for them at all. Learning back pedal during fakie stuff is a very minor thing to deal with, I'd take that any day over dealing with sloppy coaster slack.

|

5/12/2020 4:16 AM

streethack wrote:

Freecoasters don't last as long, they seem to shit themselves faster for guys who do trick heavy stuff and I would say crank flips are a main factor in that situation.

To me it is like going brakeless, unless you throw bars frequently what is the point besides wrecking your shoes?

I see coasters the same way, unless you are into tech tricks I don't see the need for them at all. Learning back pedal during fakie stuff is a very minor thing to deal with, I'd take that any day over dealing with sloppy coaster slack.

Just wanted to comment to your brakeless "unless you throw bars frequently what is the point" with:

Ryan Nyquist.

Does more barspins than anyone on Earth and has front and rear brakes.

Most kids start it to emulate their favorite riders-some do it for looks or the maybe 14 oz difference. Some do it cause truing wheels is "too hard" (It's not).

Love it or hate it, there is always someone who thinks the opposite of you.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/12/2020 7:00 AM

No one runs brakeless because they don't want to have to run a gyro and front brakes like some mid school vert rider setup, they mostly do it because brake levers are a pain and an unnecessary risk when throwing bars.

Your need to reply to my comment was the opposite of necessary.

|

5/12/2020 7:07 AM

if you prefer doing tricks that benefit from pedal pressure, you will gravitate towards a cassette.

If you prefer doing tricks that benefit from perfect fakie foot placement, you will gravitate towards a coaster.

most likely you will just copy your fave rider at first.

Brakes: more than 50% of the people i see riding brakeless have no biz riding brakeless as they can barely control their bike. bar spins or not, its just what the cool kids do. it shouldn't even be a "preference" discussion anymore.

|

5/12/2020 8:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2020 10:02 AM

streethack wrote:

No one runs brakeless because they don't want to have to run a gyro and front brakes like some mid school vert rider setup, they mostly do it because brake levers are a pain and an unnecessary risk when throwing bars.

I'd say a large portion of BMX'ers ride brakeless because they think it makes them cooler #streetcred. Im not saying riding brakeless doesnt have its benifets, it most definitely does. It teaches you to hit things at proper speeds without brake modulation, it does indeed give your hands more freedom when doing tricks and it's much less to deal with in terms of maintenance.

I get semi-dirty looks if someone else is riding brakeless near me. It almost definitely will become part of the conversation at some point. Its usually something along the lines of "sooo....why do you have brakes?", "brakes are for pussies" or "You should take your brakes off, man...". There have been a couple times people refused to ride with me because they didnt want to be seen with the brake guy. Lol

I dont ride parks too often and I have met plenty of down to earth brakeless riders, as well but that very often shows its face unless Im riding with another brake guy.

Again, no hate to brakeless riders that choose that path for justifiable reasons but there are also a lot of elitist riders out there.

|

5/12/2020 9:01 AM

streethack wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I'd say a large portion of BMX'ers ride brakeless because they think it makes them cooler #streetcred. Im not saying riding brakeless doesnt have its benifets, it most definitely does. It teaches you to hit things at proper speeds without brake modulation, it does indeed give your hands more freedom when doing tricks and it's much less to deal with in terms of maintenance.

I get semi-dirty looks if someone else is riding brakeless near me. It almost definitely will become part of the conversation at some point. Its usually something along the lines of "sooo....why do you have brakes?", "brakes are for pussies" or "You should take your brakes off, man...". There have been a couple times people refused to ride with me because they didnt want to be seen with the brake guy. Lol

I dont ride parks too often and I have met plenty of down to earth brakeless riders, as well but that very often shows its face unless Im riding with another brake guy.

Again, no hate to brakeless riders that choose that path for justifiable reasons but there are also a lot of elitist riders out there.

I'm sorry you deal with people like that. We all ride bmx idk why brakes have to be an argument. I personally don't run brakes for no inherent reason. It's just how I feel the most comfortable.

|

5/12/2020 10:00 AM

streethack wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Its Dabington wrote:

I'm sorry you deal with people like that. We all ride bmx idk why brakes have to be an argument. I personally don't run brakes for no inherent reason. It's just how I feel the most comfortable.

Ya...lol its a headache. Im glad there are open minded people on this forum. As you said, "We all ride" thats the attitude Id lie to see more of!

|

5/12/2020 10:11 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Its Dabington wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Ya...lol its a headache. Im glad there are open minded people on this forum. As you said, "We all ride" thats the attitude Id lie to see more of!

Bullet, the brakeless dude that doesn’t want to ride with you because of your brakes is dumb, worst case scenario, he will look cooler than you... until you do a fufanu !!

|

5/12/2020 11:36 AM

streethack wrote:

actually most people go brake less because they don't know how to work on brakes lol

|

fack off

5/12/2020 1:39 PM

I like brakeless entirely as a stylistic choice. The brakes on my other bike stop on a dime...

|

5/12/2020 2:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2020 2:49 PM

I agree with stylistic aspects of brakes/brakeless.

I tend to ride differently with brakes/no brakes. Even between a gyro and a straight cable, I feel like it subconsciously changes the way I ride. More tech with a gyro, more flow and speed with a straight cable, and somewhere in between with no brakes.

I hate the habit of calling things like coasters and cassettes (and brakes and brakeless) “cheating” because it’s available to everyone, nobody’s breaking rules running or not running them.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/12/2020 3:41 PM

|

5/12/2020 3:50 PM

I rode brakes almost 39 years before deciding on brakeless..

Reasons:

Seemed almost everyone was doing it and I wanted to see what it was about and if I could get used to it.

I don't like brake marks on wheels

Cleaner looking, feeling bike

Lighter and no dicking around with them

It was spooky starting off without them, but totally got used to it pretty quick. It just feels liberating without them now.

Funny watching someone else ride it that is used to having brakes too...

I don't give two shits how another rider sets up their whip...

|

5/12/2020 4:56 PM

streethack wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

actually most people go brake less because they don't know how to work on brakes lol

This also, the cognitive dissonance is strong these days which is all part of the agenda for idiots to remain idiots.

|

5/12/2020 5:39 PM

The way I see it is, I have friend that ride set ups much different than mine. I dont talk shit on their set ups or style choices, or that some ride scooters and some skateboards, so why talk shit about anyone else’s. At the end of the day we all enjoy riding so what difference does it make. Some people are just assholes

|

5/12/2020 5:43 PM

streethack wrote:

I had run brakeless strictly for commitment. It has nothing to do with looks or bar spins. I never wanted an easy option to back out if I’m bombing toward a stair set or gap... that being said I actually just put brakes on for the first time in a long long time, because the local dirt jump owner/builder doesn’t let people ride with no brakes

|

5/12/2020 6:02 PM

streethack wrote:

rainescustoms99 wrote:

I had run brakeless strictly for commitment. It has nothing to do with looks or bar spins. I never wanted an easy option to back out if I’m bombing toward a stair set or gap... that being said I actually just put brakes on for the first time in a long long time, because the local dirt jump owner/builder doesn’t let people ride with no brakes

It's also a good option when you send something in public places and want to lessen the chances of crashing into pedestrians/vehicles or clueless kids at the skate park. Or at a spot where there is no room for casual slowdown.

I see many kids who don't commit to things, like actually pedalling it at something proper fast, because they're weary of the consequences of having no brakes. And not everyone is out with a crew on lookout in the streets at all times.

|

5/13/2020 5:16 PM

streethack wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I have never had that problem every one wants to try my bike for fufanus

|

I believe in hub guard protection

5/13/2020 5:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2020 5:40 PM

Also something else is most of my friends that ride a cassette cant do a proper 360 on a coaster bike myself I have ridden a coaster almost exclusively for 20 years. And I'm blessed that I have a madera gulf coaster now and that there is much better coaster options then in the past.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

5/14/2020 2:23 AM

I just ordered my first freecoaster. Never ridden 1 ever. Keen to learn

|

5/14/2020 4:18 AM

Its Dabington wrote:

coaster requires more proper technique than a cassette as you use pedal pressure. i would say it is easier to learn tricks on cassette because of this and you will have a bit more confidence on certain tricks knowing there is no slack and you can rely on cranking

|