Going to Camp Woodward as a beginner?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/4/2016 8:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2016 8:42 PM

How would a beginner do at Camp Woodward? I heard that you can go as a beginner. I want to do something fun this summer, so I thought about Camp Woodward. I can only really bunny hop, and even then I can't do that that well lol. Also, do you do stuff other than riding? Because I heard there's dodgeball and shit, and I SUCK at throwing lmao

|

I swear to drunk i'm not god

7/4/2016 8:27 PM

Aslong as you enjoy yourself and have fun, why not! I say do it.... Might leave the place knowing a few more tricks.

|

7/4/2016 9:42 PM

Do it dude I would kill to be able to go even for a couple of days. You enter a beginner and leave a pro basically lol

|

7/5/2016 1:26 AM

Woodward covers mostly all action sports, even to the extent of water and snow sports depending on which Woodward location. There's go-karts, parkour, gymnastics, and lots more.

The great thing about Camp WW is that skill level isn't a factor, literally everyone can go and have a good time no matter what your sport is. Go for it! I'd jump at the chance to enter any day!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/5/2016 11:08 AM

You could , I'd rather go to Dustin grices factory in Minnesota , you can't drink at Woodward and it's expensive as fuck for one week ,for that price you could hotel it up for at least a few weeks probably at the factory

|

7/5/2016 12:05 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You could , I'd rather go to Dustin grices factory in Minnesota , you can't drink at Woodward and it's expensive as fuck for ...more

I'm 15 so I couldn't drink anyway lol

|

7/5/2016 12:57 PM

$1000 a week i wish i had rich parents, shit i wish i had just parents

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

7/5/2016 4:05 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You could , I'd rather go to Dustin grices factory in Minnesota , you can't drink at Woodward and it's expensive as fuck for ...more

Dustin is a good dude, if you ever make it, hit me up. I live like 65 miles away from it and have never been.

100 a month for a key and you can go 24/7!

Honestly get an adult who would rent a place for a month (or some homies) and do it up! Place is pretty awesome!

The grand spent on Woodward for a week could be spent on a key for a couple weeks and a decent 1-2 bedroom apartment for a MONTH. Just gotta cover food and travel to and from.

You might even be able to get the hook up and stay with people locally.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/5/2016 4:06 PM

JonnyGanja wrote:

$1000 a week i wish i had rich parents, shit i wish i had just parents

Haha we're not rich at all. I actually just asked them if I could go and I tried telling them about the discounted price by washing dishes and stuff and they said we can't afford it. They said maybe next summer though.

|

7/5/2016 5:33 PM

If you do get the chance, i say go, you'll be able to find your preferred riding style, and learn a lot of basics like airing out, transferring, pumping and all that stuff and trust me, once you get all that down, bmx gets way more fun

|

7/5/2016 9:15 PM

You'll do as well as you're willing to do.

A common misconception people have about Woodward is "You go there a beginner, you leave a pro"

That's not true at all. The reality of it is, you're only going to progress as much as you're willing to try. Instructors and their ramps & stuff are only going to help so much, the rest is up to you. You're not magically gonna go there only being able to bunnyhop, and leave being able to do backflip tailwhips or something like that. Of course I guess it's possible, but ultimately it's up to you to try new things. Maybe you'll leave with some new tricks, maybe you won't.

I don't mean that as a way to get you down on purpose, I'm just being honest.

|

7/6/2016 4:05 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You'll do as well as you're willing to do.

A common misconception people have about Woodward is "You go there a beginner, ...more

I take this to mean "have realistic expectations for a week of riding", and it makes total sense. While the facilities exist to allow very rapid progression, if you aren't willing to try, you won't learn anything.

Best advice I can give having not been there, but having 17 years of riding experience, go there and try ALL KINDS of riding, not just the stuff local to you. If you only ride foot tall ledges, try dirt or even launching over a box jump. Ride a bowl or vert ramp.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/7/2016 8:05 AM

Rbxy wrote:

How would a beginner do at Camp Woodward? I heard that you can go as a beginner. I want to do something fun this summer, so I ...more

You would do great. We have tons of beginners visit camp every year. We can take that bunny hop next level.

There is tons of other stuff to do while at camp like swimming, go carts, wakeboarding, waterslide, paintball and more. Check out www.woodwardcamp.com

|

7/7/2016 8:13 AM

RBXY -

Woodward is certainly a place for all levels of BMX riders. A majority of the campers that attend each week are beginners so i can assure you that you wont feel left out. Each day you will have an instruction period with other campers that are on your same riding level.

I saw that you were concerned on pricing as well. There is a scholarship fund that is set up to help those that can't afford camp. More info can be found here: "Woodward Scholarships"

Disclaimer: I do work for Woodward and would be happy to help answer any questions you or your parents may have. mbennett@woodwardcamp.com

|