Reviewing the Freenight planetary coaster hub!

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2019 8:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2019 6:08 AM

Getting here saturday, hope to see you all on the video with your comments!

Ill post it here when its ready!

Anyone remember what hub I was waiting for?

Here is the video!

|

7/18/2019 8:32 PM

Oh hell yeah! Wasn't it called the Freenight hub or something?? I can't wait to see what it's all about!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/18/2019 9:33 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Oh hell yeah! Wasn't it called the Freenight hub or something?? I can't wait to see what it's all about!

Yes indeed! Saturday is gonna be an exciting day! I have it off too! Gonna build it up with stainless spokes, silver nips and a black gsport rollcage I have.

|

7/19/2019 2:25 AM

Notification squad.

|

7/19/2019 4:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2019 4:13 AM

I looked it up, I get the vibe that it is similar to the Stolen Coaster from like 8-10 years ago, that had pawls in it, and would disengage them when going fakie.

Similar to how the Salt cassette/coaster works I bet.

I could be wrong though.

EDIT: Watched their video, and it clearly has a cassette setup, but when the wheel goes backwards it slips the pawls down out of the way, hence why it can pedal forward while going fakie with no catch.

Pedal pressure is out the window if you remotely move backwards. I would be curious if it would disengage in a manual up then backwards manual down but use pedal pressure to stop at the top/stall situation.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/19/2019 4:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2019 4:23 AM

But the Salt coaster's pawls are retracted when the driver is spun backwards, similar to a KHE clutch system. I think this new hub retracts the pawls when the shell spins backwards. Meaning no slack. Land fakie and the hub will retract the pawls, half cab and start rolling forwards and the hub will be ready to go, without having to take up slack.

I think that's how it works.

Edit: You edited.

|

7/24/2019 6:26 AM

Ok, I got the hub and built it up yesterday after work. I am still working on editing the video and getting a few more trick examples.

Please stay tuned for the video I am working on to demonstrate. If you have any specific questions that are within my ability to answer, I will try and include it in the video.

|

7/24/2019 6:30 AM

Can I have a link to your YouTube please pup

|

Ride everything

7/24/2019 9:24 AM

Jibby wrote:

Can I have a link to your YouTube please pup

Search "Douglas Thompson" on youtube and I should be the 1st result.

|

7/24/2019 3:38 PM

Really interested in this one. They also have a complete wheel with the rims I like too!!

|

7/24/2019 4:01 PM

First!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

7/25/2019 12:09 AM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

Really interested in this one. They also have a complete wheel with the rims I like too!!

Video is complete. Uploading to youtube now. Not the cleanest editing and the sound suffers from some wind but I think I covered a lot of questions one might ask begore purchasing this hub. I will continue to test it of course. Also I will list any problems here and do update videos if I run into anything odd.

|

7/25/2019 12:09 AM

readybmxer wrote:

First!

Lol

|

7/25/2019 12:13 AM

is it up?

|

7/25/2019 4:01 AM

Komedy wrote:

is it up?

That's what she said.

HA!

I'm hilarious.

But here it is.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/25/2019 4:14 AM

I am still intrigued by the internals.

If you end up opening up the hub, PLEASE take some photos.

Seems like a decent hub for a kind of "best of both worlds" aspect.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/25/2019 4:32 AM

nice, so a freecoaster with super short engagment with silent cassette sound?

|

7/25/2019 4:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2019 4:53 AM

I'd be very interested to see the internals too.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/25/2019 6:41 AM

You rock, Doug. Thanks for doing this. This is really an interesting hub.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/25/2019 6:57 AM

Nice one, Doug! Looking forward to your thoughts after running it for a while.

|

7/25/2019 7:13 AM

Looks good, thanks pup ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿป

|

Ride everything

7/25/2019 7:43 AM

Damn this is cool

|

7/25/2019 7:57 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

You rock, Doug. Thanks for doing this. This is really an interesting hub.

They offered me an employee discount but I told them I wanted to support them and what they are trying to do. The hub is definitely not cheap but if you run rhd, the complete wheel is a pretty good deal imo, comparable to the clutch v2 complete wheel. They just dont build up wheels lhd for sale, yet, thats the only reason I bought the hub by itself.

|

7/25/2019 9:11 AM

Would get one but need to be 100% sure it's good for pedal pressure tricks like tire taps, 540 taps, hurricanes, etc. Those be the only reasons I would need near-instant engagement.

I could see those "confusing" the hub like you said.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/25/2019 10:13 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Would get one but need to be 100% sure it's good for pedal pressure tricks like tire taps, 540 taps, hurricanes, etc. Those be the only reasons I would need near-instant engagement.

They're brake pressure tricks

|

7/25/2019 10:15 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

jbales wrote:

They're brake pressure tricks

My frame no hable brakes. I like doing 540 taps with momentum also, so no brakey brakey there.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

7/25/2019 2:39 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Well, I probably wont be doing any of those any time soon....lol

But yes, that would be a concern.

|

7/25/2019 4:20 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Can you 3-tap? Like with a cassette?

If so you should try to do it on on the FreeNight with pedal pressure the same way.

|

7/25/2019 5:59 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Can you 3-tap? Like with a cassette?

If so you should try to do it on on the FreeNight with pedal pressure the same way.

I havent tried and I feel like I am not ready to try yet. Still working on 270's.

If I run into some buddies that can 3, I will record them.

|

7/26/2019 12:47 PM

Just got word The freenight will have larger driver teeth in a future revision. They are also working out the kinks in the hub guard. The plastic hub guard I received is more or less a prototype and they are working to make a longer lasting guard and/or make an adapter that allows you to use a different company guard.

|