Good Bike or not?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/30/2016 9:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2016 9:11 PM

I'm fairly new to bmx and am looking to buy a good bike without breaking the bank.I posted earlier about one I found on craigslist but it already sold. I found this other one but I don't know if these parts and the custom bike as a whole is good and if it's worth what he is asking. Could some people look at it and let me know?

Here is the bike: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/5587538188.html

Thanks!!
By the way, I'm mainly interested in park riding along with some street I guess.

|

5/30/2016 9:55 PM

For $200, that's actually not a bad deal at all. The parts are pretty damn good, but the frame uses a standard headtube and American BB. I can't find much on the frame without knowing what year it is, so I'm not sure if it's hi-tensile steel, chromoly, or a mixture... Either way for $200 for those parts, not a bad deal at all. I'd say go for it.

|

5/30/2016 10:11 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

For $200, that's actually not a bad deal at all. The parts are pretty damn good, but the frame uses a standard headtube and American BB. I can't find much on the frame without knowing what year it is, so I'm not sure if it's hi-tensile steel, chromoly, or a mixture... Either way for $200 for those parts, not a bad deal at all. I'd say go for it.

I'm new so I don't know what standard headtube means or American bb. Could you elaborate? Also, I just asked him what the frame was made from.

|

5/30/2016 10:32 PM

Vital has a good explanation in the product section

Bottom Brackets

Headsets


Basically a standard headtube means the headset is known as a standard headset. 2 cups are pressed into the frame at the headtube (Where the forks go through to meet the stem, see this photo if you're still confused) and then the headset bearings will sit in those cups (Typically they're also unsealed which don't last as long as sealed bearings do, but there are also sealed standard bearings.)

Integrated headtubes are what every modern street bmx frames have (minus some low level stock bikes) and they use what are known as integrated headsets which don't have cups that need to be pressed into the frame, instead the cup is built into the frame.



Essentially, American bottom brackets are pretty similar. American BBs use cups that press into the bottom bracket, then the bearings sit in those cups. Mid BBs & Spanish BBs don't use cups, and instead the bearings are pressed directly into the frame.

|

5/30/2016 11:53 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Vital has a good explanation in the product section

Bottom Brackets

Headsets


Basically a standard headtube means the headset is known as a standard headset. 2 cups are pressed into the frame at the headtube (Where the forks go through to meet the stem, see this photo if you're still confused) and then the headset bearings will sit in those cups (Typically they're also unsealed which don't last as long as sealed bearings do, but there are also sealed standard bearings.)

Integrated headtubes are what every modern street bmx frames have (minus some low level stock bikes) and they use what are known as integrated headsets which don't have cups that need to be pressed into the frame, instead the cup is built into the frame.



Essentially, American bottom brackets are pretty similar. American BBs use cups that press into the bottom bracket, then the bearings sit in those cups. Mid BBs & Spanish BBs don't use cups, and instead the bearings are pressed directly into the frame.

OK thank you for the clarification. So even though it has a standard headtube and American bb instead of an integrated headtube, do you think it's still worth pursuing as a possible purchase?

|

5/31/2016 6:45 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Vital has a good explanation in the product section

Bottom Brackets

Headsets


Basically a standard headtube means the headset is known as a standard headset. 2 cups are pressed into the frame at the headtube (Where the forks go through to meet the stem, see this photo if you're still confused) and then the headset bearings will sit in those cups (Typically they're also unsealed which don't last as long as sealed bearings do, but there are also sealed standard bearings.)

Integrated headtubes are what every modern street bmx frames have (minus some low level stock bikes) and they use what are known as integrated headsets which don't have cups that need to be pressed into the frame, instead the cup is built into the frame.



Essentially, American bottom brackets are pretty similar. American BBs use cups that press into the bottom bracket, then the bearings sit in those cups. Mid BBs & Spanish BBs don't use cups, and instead the bearings are pressed directly into the frame.

So I have talked to this guy further and he said the frame is 100% 4130 chromoly and he will go down to $150. Do you think I should jump on this opportunity?

|

5/31/2016 4:51 PM

T_Pats wrote:

So I have talked to this guy further and he said the frame is 100% 4130 chromoly and he will go down to $150. Do you think I should jump on this opportunity?

Yes, that's an amazing deal I think you should jump on it!

|

5/31/2016 7:16 PM

TD_BMX_16 wrote:

Yes, that's an amazing deal I think you should jump on it!

just looked up the frame on bike blue book....it is full Chromo so I would jump on it ASAP for $150. the full Chromo frame and fork is super important to the bike staying together and lasting. This could end up being a great bike if you smartly replace parts as they break. Hell, if you don't grab it, I might....screw the 9 hour drive for me to pick it up!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/31/2016 8:39 PM

This is pretty good, I love standards strip bars, everything else sounds pretty solid. You could always just switch out the frame later down the road.

|