Good Weight for a frame

Related:
Create New Tag

2/3/2017 6:53 PM

What is a good weight for a frame alone, looking at some to build up my first bike, just curious what a good weight is for a frame. Thanks!

|

2/3/2017 7:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2017 7:06 PM

5lbs is about average, don't go too far under that and it should hold up.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/3/2017 7:19 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

5lbs is about average, don't go too far under that and it should hold up.

This. 5-5.5 lbs is pretty common. Not easy to go above if you want a modern frame, and not as easy below 5 lbs either.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/4/2017 7:07 AM

I'd like a frame to be around 4 lbs.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/4/2017 9:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2017 10:27 AM

Four wrote:

That 1 less pound is almost 1/4 less material. You can loose a pound of weight by just changing your tires. A four pound frame will never be as strong as a five pound frame. It's probably about 25 percent weaker. Just to save a pound. Don't look at it too hard, it might dent, but if your carefull, and don't drop off any curbs you'll be good. Lol

Seriously though I guess if you only ride trails, and don't use pegs 4 pounds might work. It's not gonna hold up to street abuse for very long though.

|

2/4/2017 9:10 AM

In between 4 &1/2 and 5 is usually what my frames weigh, my current one is 5lbs and it's perfect for me.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

2/4/2017 10:34 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

That 1 less pound is almost 1/4 less material. You can loose a pound of weight by just changing your tires. A four pound frame ...more

Yeah light tires are good too. I ride tioga powerblock folding tires, or maxxis foldings usually. I usually don't worry much about the strength of a frame.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/4/2017 10:50 AM

Currently 5-5.5 is average . I think a couple years back 5 was on the heavier side , you can still find frames that are 4 pounds and even in the 3 pound category , although it'll be an aluminum can . As mentioned , you can easily save weight by getting light tires , or plastic parts .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/6/2017 1:28 PM

To me if the bike is under 25 lbs i cant hop as high because it gets away from me.

|

2/6/2017 3:31 PM

Four wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

That 1 less pound is almost 1/4 less material. You can loose a pound of weight by just changing your tires. A four pound frame ...more

I rode an Eastern Journey for a couple years without issue, on nothing but street and park, with and without pegs. Sold it to a buddy who still has it now.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/6/2017 7:33 PM

As a rider who guerra gave their martyr for a steal of a deal and cracked the head tube I'd say 5 pounds is a good spot

|