Good cranks in 180 mm

Related:
Create New Tag

11/1/2015 9:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2015 9:56 AM

Looking for opinions on a good set of cranks that come in 180 mm length, which narrows down the options.
Profiles were my first thought but it seems their durability is hit and miss these days, there are lots of stories of cracked and broken Profiles on the net. Redline, Odyssey, and Primo seem to be the other main choices, I have looked at the RL G6 because they have a 19 mm spindle which means I won't have to change my sprocket (i have a brand new drivetrain), but I haven't found much feedback on them.
I would appreciate any suggestions, besides just riding 175's- I'm 6'4 and have ridden 180s on my other bikes for so long that the difference is very noticeable to me.

|

11/1/2015 11:22 AM

Red Line Flight 180 mm

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

11/1/2015 11:36 AM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

Red Line Flight 180 mm

Thanks for the suggestion, I have looked at the Flights also but haven't found any useful feedback on them from riders. They were the shit back in the day, but not sure if they are as good now as they used to be. I would be interested in your thoughts, if you have used the newer ones (they have changed several times over the years).

|

11/1/2015 12:37 PM

Maybe consider the Profile Column Cranks? I've never seen a pair of these break, they are pretty serious.

They have a 22mm spindle so you would need a new bottom bracket, and you would also have to use one of Profile's 22mm Spline drive sprockets, but they do come in 180mm.

http://www.profileracing.com/estore/product.php?productId=557

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

11/1/2015 12:37 PM

Loving my 180 profiles there like 13 years old and still kicking ass

|

11/1/2015 1:03 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Loving my 180 profiles there like 13 years old and still kicking ass

The old Profiles had a great reputation, but it seems like the newer ones have their share of failures...not sure if that's because of quality or maybe just because they get used harder these days, with the big air guys are getting, on 110 psi tires and lots of hard-surface landings. I suspect the abuse level is a bit higher than it was when I was a kid.

|

11/1/2015 2:11 PM

Redline flights. I have em. Great.

|

11/1/2015 3:58 PM

Been riding my Profile's since like 2000 lol never broken or bent them and sure still going strong (knock on wood lol)! Maybe you can check out some Profile SS cranks lol I highly doubt you'll break those!

|

11/1/2015 3:59 PM

Lets face it there's loads of profile horror stories because of the quantity of them out in the wild.

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

11/2/2015 7:06 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I guess it will probably come down to how rich I'm feeling when I decide to buy.

|

11/2/2015 8:24 AM

I'd go profile and this is coming from a guy who has snapped an arm back in the day. I was running 185mm cranks haha. You have to remember that the longer the arm the easier they snap due to leverage. Honestly unless you're 6'5 or taller I would go 175mm thunderbolts. I'm 6'3 and they work perfectly for me. Just my .02

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

11/2/2015 8:41 AM

Redline Device, the true 3 piece version, if you can find them. profiles are always a descent choice...I turned my 180's into bananas...but profile helped me out.

|

11/2/2015 9:12 AM

peggiesmalls wrote:

Lets face it there's loads of profile horror stories because of the quantity of them out in the wild.

I've heard like 2? And it wasn't even horrific. Just that they broke or cracked. Ha.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/3/2015 2:35 PM

bobPA wrote:

Redline Device, the true 3 piece version, if you can find them. profiles are always a descent choice...I turned my 180's into ...more

Im curious, why the 3-piece? Is there something about the 2.5 piece thats bad?

|

11/3/2015 11:09 PM

In 180 I'd say profile .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/4/2015 6:39 AM

loosegrips wrote:

Im curious, why the 3-piece? Is there something about the 2.5 piece thats bad?

I tried them out, along with a bunch of my friends, a few years ago because they were crazy CHEAP at a local shop. They were absolutely rock solid for everyone that rode them. To be honest I have no experience with the 2.5 version..

|

11/5/2015 8:32 AM

Would have ordered the Flights by now (the dual pinch bolt, old school style) but they only seem to be available in chrome...has anyone seen any in black, or is chrome the only finish?

|