Good parts on a budget?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2014 1:26 PM

Hey im new to the whole BMX scene and i just bought a 2013 Kink Gap and im looking into buying some decent parts to replace the mission garbage that's on here now any suggestions for Bars, a headset, or a stem?? thanks!

|

2/6/2014 1:28 PM

replace parts as you break them.

|

brakeless maniac

2/6/2014 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2014 1:41 PM

My old Mission stem, stock 8.25 bars & headset are still all going strong 2 1/2 yrs later and all but the headset has been passed through the little kids who beat on parts and now people at my skill level are running them lol

When it comes to budget brands mission is one of the better ones for sure.

Edit: my mission wheels & forks are still going strong after going through a mini mistreatment hell and back also the hub hasnt been greased by the current owner since I got the replacement one 2 yrs ago because I ruined the first one by leaving it loose

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

2/6/2014 1:42 PM

Joe_Martinez wrote:

replace parts as you break them.

yeah i know im just thinking for future reference

|

2/6/2014 1:42 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

My old Mission stem, stock 8.25 bars & headset are still all going strong 2 1/2 yrs later and all but the headset has been ...more

hmm i heard otherwise but thanks! good to know!

|

2/6/2014 1:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2014 1:56 PM

Sounds like youve been listening to locals.... mission isnt THAT bad. I would take mission parts over Stolen bike co parts.
If you really want new parts:

The first thing I would replace is tires if you have the kenda kontacts stock, get rid of them and get some animals, fits, odysseys etc. Those kontacts tore apart in the middle of the tread on me.

Kink bars are nice, or something with 4º upsweep if youre into that
A stem is mostly preference, 35mm-60mm reach, topload or frontload, rise. Most stems are ok just read reviews and youll be good.
All headsets are the same pretty much, just the dustcap changes usually.

I almost bought a 2012 kink gap as my first bike. Its a nice beginner bike tbh

|

Instagram

2/6/2014 1:56 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

Sounds like youve been listening to locals.... mission isnt THAT bad. I would take mission parts over Stolen bike co parts.
If ...more

yea it did come with the kontacts i was considering the new odyssey nighthawk tires but i'm not sure yet. I was also looking at the Kink Lynx bars but Danscomp is having a deal on the odyssey GY3's for $30 so i might get them if anything. With stems i was gonna go with a topload sunday freeze but people have had issues with slipping so i'm on the fence for that one

|

2/6/2014 1:59 PM

Brandon, while most Stolen parts are crap, I must say my Roulette (Joytech clone) hub is good and my Team cranks are too. Tom's had teams for 4 years with no breaking.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

2/6/2014 2:01 PM

The freeze is ok. Im running the frontload version right now and its been good thus far but it isnt the best in the world obviously but its only 30 $

Do you want bigger or smaller bars? The lynx are 8.25 & the g3s are 8.66.

What do you ride? Odyssey tires, animal tires & fits are all good tires depending on what you ride.

|

Instagram

2/6/2014 2:05 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Brandon, while most Stolen parts are crap, I must say my Roulette (Joytech clone) hub is good and my Team cranks are too. ...more

Yeah the mission react is a joytech clone too. The one part stolen I would take over mission would definitely be the teams as I am actually gonna buy a set here soon.

|

Instagram

2/6/2014 2:05 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

The freeze is ok. Im running the frontload version right now and its been good thus far but it isnt the best in the world ...more

i probably would want a bit smaller but if anything i can cut a bit off the ends. I really only ride street soo i don't need anything chunky that's why i was looking at the nighthawks for grip and whatnot

|

2/6/2014 2:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2014 2:12 PM

randomguy1234 wrote:

i probably would want a bit smaller but if anything i can cut a bit off the ends. I really only ride street soo i don't need ...more

On height the odysseys are bigger than the kinks. The nighthawks seem like they would be pretty sweet for a street only rider albeit a bit heavier they will be thicker so less punctures.

|

Instagram

2/6/2014 2:12 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

On height the odysseys are bigger than the kinks. The nighthawks seem like they would be pretty sweet for a street only rider ...more

i'm a bit of a taller guy being pretty close to 6 foot and i just wanna be comfortable for the most part so ill really take a look at that

|

2/6/2014 2:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2014 2:13 PM

If you are buying something you have to know what are some quality brands:
Eclat for almost everything
Odyssey for almost everything
Gsport for everything that is for wheels
Fit for general stuff
All headsets, BBs, and seat post are more or less the same.

By the way, haws tires are really good for street, tey might be a bit slippery on concrete.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/6/2014 2:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2014 2:16 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For me im about 6 foot right now and im on a big frontend with 8.75 kink human bars & a flipped frontload.
With the sunday stem either will probably be comfortable to you. Its all about what you start riding with. I rode big bars from a week after I got my bike so im accustomed to large bars.

|

Instagram

2/6/2014 2:18 PM

T-rider wrote:

Odyssey for almost ...more

I'm literally looking at parts for most of those brands haha. Eclat can be a bit expensive which sucks because their parts have a great reputation same with odyssey

|

2/6/2014 2:18 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For me im about 6 foot right now and im on a big frontend with 8.75 kink human bars & a flipped ...more

sweet ill definitely consider that thanks.

|

2/6/2014 2:22 PM

T-rider wrote:

randomguy1234 wrote:

I'm literally looking at parts for most of those brands haha. Eclat can be a bit expensive which sucks because their parts ...more

Thats true, but i can tell you that with all the 41thermal stuff of odyssey is worth, lifetime warranty man.
Eclat is really good in pretty much everything, i think that its worth it too. Their cranks are amazing, nice pedals, nice hubs (the kolibri´s prize is a mistake thought.) legit sprockets, and the jaw rim is at leastinnovative.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

2/6/2014 2:28 PM

T-rider wrote:

randomguy1234 wrote:

I'm literally looking at parts for most of those brands haha. Eclat can be a bit expensive which sucks because their parts ...more

T-rider wrote:

Thats true, but i can tell you that with all the 41thermal stuff of odyssey is worth, lifetime warranty man.
Eclat is really ...more

i was all over Odyssey for a while haha then i found Eclat and i will most likely combine parts from the two ill also probably throw some cufflinks on too because right now i have the stay strong grips and they aren't the most comfortable in my mind

|

2/6/2014 2:31 PM

go ahead then, i have heard good stuff about them.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

2/6/2014 4:13 PM

as far as bars go id recommend checking ebay or buying a used pair in good condition for headset id say get a rant headset you save about $10 than getting a different one . Last for stem get a sunday freeze for the money they are the best on the market

|

2/6/2014 4:45 PM

chad88 wrote:

as far as bars go id recommend checking ebay or buying a used pair in good condition for headset id say get a rant headset you ...more

okay thanks ill have to take a look at that headset. i've already got the freeze in mind

|

2/6/2014 4:50 PM

Go for brands you like. Such as parts you see locals riding , or look online and see what company image you like and a super important one is try looking for a favourite rider. Odds are he/she has a signature part , so I'd start there and grow from what you like.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/6/2014 5:16 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Go for brands you like. Such as parts you see locals riding , or look online and see what company image you like and a super ...more

yea i really like Sean Sexton, Aaron Ross, and Tony Hamlin haha

|

2/6/2014 10:43 PM

I think Stolen has the best parts for a Budget. I had a Stolen Convict stem last year and the thing was Solid, no slipage. I also had me a pair of Stolen Cell bars, orange 8" rise. The Stolen bars were amazing. Alot better qaulity than what I expected. I ended up replacing them with a pair of Standard Strip bars wich sucked, they had no Knurl on them so they slipped all the time and the ended up getting crushed by my stem. Headsets are pretty much all similar, I have the Animal one now its solid. Stolen also has some great wheels for the price. They nailed it with the extra wide offset spoke holes, it makes the wheel really stiff and there super light.

|