Got my 2021 Haro Freestyler DMC Legend 24

Related:
Create New Tag

9/29/2020 2:01 PM

Well guys, the day has arrived. My first BMX bike in right at 25 years. My last bike was a Haro Freestyler, and this one is as well. I figured that at 6’02”/300 lbs. I would need a bigger bike. This one is perfect. What’s even cooler, is that this bike carries the name of one of the guys who I grew up watching, Dennis McCoy. Dennis also happens to be from my hometown, Kansas City, Missouri. I believe I have my perfect bike.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

9/29/2020 2:03 PM

Damn. That's dope.

|

9/29/2020 2:05 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

Damn. That's dope.

Thanks man! I am on cloud 9.

|

9/29/2020 2:07 PM

Is the frames tubing alloy ? Only asking because of the welds, reminds me of alloy.

|

9/29/2020 2:08 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Is the frames tubing alloy ? Only asking because of the welds, reminds me of alloy.

It is. Heat treated 6061 T6.

|

9/29/2020 2:15 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Thought so, bet its light. Sweet bike dude.

|

9/29/2020 2:26 PM

STOKED.

Seems like taller bars would be better but there isn't really anything available that would match it.

but I'd keep it in mind after the initial stoke wears off. I bet you'd be more comfy with taller bars..

Have fun!

|

9/29/2020 2:28 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

Thought so, bet its light. Sweet bike dude.

Thanks man. And, it does seem very light to me although I’ve been out of the game for so long that I have no idea what most bikes weigh these days.

|

9/29/2020 2:32 PM

pnj wrote:

STOKED.

Seems like taller bars would be better but there isn't really anything available that would match it.

but I'd keep it in mind after the initial stoke wears off. I bet you'd be more comfy with taller bars..

Have fun!

Already on my list of wants. These bars are hella low for my tastes, but I will probably hold off for a while and just ride it as is. Aside from the bars (which I’d want about 2 inches higher), the touchy assed brakes are in jeopardy of being MIA, and I’d like some brushed alloy pedals. Other than those things, I am diggin it a lot.

|

9/29/2020 3:40 PM

Welgo MG-1 pedals come in silver. Can usually be found cheap on Ebay and a light weight.

what's wrong with the brakes?

|

9/29/2020 4:39 PM

Congrats man!

That takes me back to 1988..

|

9/29/2020 4:39 PM

pnj wrote:

Welgo MG-1 pedals come in silver. Can usually be found cheap on Ebay and a light weight.

what's wrong with the brakes?

The brakes required a lot of adjustment right out of the gate as they were tight enough to heavily restrict the rear wheel from spinning even when the brake wasn’t engaged. Once I got them adjusted, I realized that they are very touchy for my liking. I’m sure I will get used to them with time, but that’s my experience with them so far anyway.

|

9/29/2020 5:59 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Congrats man!

That takes me back to 1988..

Just like one that I had back in those days as well... only bigger. I’m sooo glad I didn’t buy a smaller bike though as this one has a 22.5” frame and I don’t know how comfy I’d be on one any shorter.

|

9/29/2020 11:08 PM

I thought that thing looked good in the stock photos online, but it looks even cooler in the different angles you got there. There’s enough silver and chrome already on the bike I’d think chrome bars would look good if you do decide to change them.

|

9/29/2020 11:41 PM

Sweet as! That’s one awesome bike. Love the colour.

|

9/29/2020 11:41 PM

And the double top tube. Have fun riding it!

|

9/30/2020 4:24 AM

upnsmoke wrote:

I thought that thing looked good in the stock photos online, but it looks even cooler in the different angles you got there. There’s enough silver and chrome already on the bike I’d think chrome bars would look good if you do decide to change them.

Agreed about chrome bars..

|

9/30/2020 7:53 AM

Chrome bars are a real possibility sometime down the road, and I am thinking around 9.0 would be about right for this setup. Still, I think I’m going to give it just a while to grow on me as is, and do some shopping around in the meanwhile. If I do end up changing bars, I would want to stick with some from Haro unless there was some really compelling reason not to.

Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated!

|

9/30/2020 10:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2020 10:29 AM

I'd go white bars.... Don't hate me. LOL

Love that ride. Aluminum eh? I'm totally jelly.

The brakes might wear in after using them a bit and not be so touchy. But you can get different pads. My guess is they'll feel more smooth after some wear. But I could be wrong.

What color or the pads? Ah, black. Hmmmm... Maybe some solomon salamandars I think they are called would be an upgrade.

That is a gorgeous bike. I'm jealous My daily riders are cheap bikes. LOL. Although one I rescued from the garbage and stripped down and repainted and that was a lot of fun.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

9/30/2020 10:28 AM

I'm proud of this sucker. But yeah, the 10" bars makes it enjoyable to ride just sitting. Could use a better seat. LOL. It's not my bike for tricks. Just exercise. I'll show my trick bike....

I'm not sure why I'm posting pics of my bikes. Yours is gorgeous.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

9/30/2020 10:49 AM

Fortyseven...

You know, the thought of white bars has crossed my mind, but I am hesitant for one reason... then I would be tempted to go white on a few other parts. Specifically, my old Freestyler had white Skyway mags and I loved them. However, I’m not sure I’m diggin the look of the 7 spoke versions they make for the 24” bikes and I would definitely want white mags to go with white bars.

As for your bikes, I don’t know a lot about the current offerings, but I like the trick bike you posted. I’m feelin the OD green look. Thanks for posting pics. I think pics always liven up any thread on a forum and that is where a lot of us get ideas from.

Thanks for the kind words man. I’m hoping to do some riding this afternoon as it is beautiful outside with the exception of some wind.

|

9/30/2020 11:02 AM

does Haro make after market taller bars?

I'd just grab some 9+ 4 piece bars.

Or you may be able to find some Hoffman bars that look more like the Kneesaver bars. Not sure how tall they made them but they'd look good if they're tall enough.

|

9/30/2020 11:33 AM

Sick new ride... hoping they make more color options, as I have been eyeballing the same bike. Kinda surprised it didnt come with a front brake as it is a master... had a 1991 or so black master back in the day with the bashguard...

|

9/30/2020 12:55 PM

Capt Crabs wrote:

Sick new ride... hoping they make more color options, as I have been eyeballing the same bike. Kinda surprised it didnt come with a front brake as it is a master... had a 1991 or so black master back in the day with the bashguard...

I think last years model was like a lime green color which I would have snagged up in an instant. Still, as a child of the 80’s... I dig the colors on this one well enough.

|

9/30/2020 3:26 PM

It’s a 24” so I’d be careful about going too tall. I think the bars are meant to be short to compensate for the taller frame.

|

9/30/2020 3:30 PM

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

It’s a 24” so I’d be careful about going too tall. I think the bars are meant to be short to compensate for the taller frame.

Yeah. I’m not real up to speed on the ins and outs of why someone might run taller or shorter bars, only that I believe a taller set of bars would be more aesthetically pleasing on this bike. Also, these bars are really short. I believe the specs say 7”.

|

9/30/2020 3:39 PM

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

naw.

Short bars on 24's come from guys racing in 20 and 24 inch class and wanting the bikes to feel the same. People that aren't racing have found that taller bars on a 24 rides MUCH better if you're not trying to set up two bikes to be the same.

Especially if you're mostly cruising. Taller bars will feel a lot better.

|

10/20/2020 10:49 PM

I just created an account to say thanks for this post. I'm sold. I recently bought an '88 Haro FST (my childhood bike) and as much as I love it for nostalgic value, it's too damn small. I'm 6'2" and it's just not comfortable.

It's not like I'm rolling around doing tons of tricks. I mostly cruise around with my 5 yo and sometimes go to this rad dirt track in Richmond, CA. Anyway, I think I'm going to buy one of these in the morning.

I'm the slightest bit hesitant to buy a new bike without riding it but I think with some minor tweaks — kneesaver bars and old school seat — I could make this just as cool as my FST and way more comfortable.

Photo

|

10/21/2020 1:10 AM

Congrats on the bike man! Just recently got a bmx after a 30 year absence myself.

|

10/21/2020 5:56 AM

websrock wrote:

I just created an account to say thanks for this post. I'm sold. I recently bought an '88 Haro FST (my childhood bike) and as much as I love it for nostalgic value, it's too damn small. I'm 6'2" and it's just not comfortable.

It's not like I'm rolling around doing tons of tricks. I mostly cruise around with my 5 yo and sometimes go to this rad dirt track in Richmond, CA. Anyway, I think I'm going to buy one of these in the morning.

I'm the slightest bit hesitant to buy a new bike without riding it but I think with some minor tweaks — kneesaver bars and old school seat — I could make this just as cool as my FST and way more comfortable.

Photo

First of all... Your old school 20” looks amazing! I couldn’t be comfortable riding it, but it is awesome anyway.

Also, glad this thread was helpful in pushing you along on a new purchase. Now having some riding time under my belt, I can say that the only thing on the bike that I decided I had to change out was the bars as they are entirely too short with their 7” rise and I was getting a lot of back pain after a few days of leaning over them. I went with a set of chrome Haro Lineage bars with a 9” rise and it makes a world of difference.

I am debating on tracking down an old school seat with a lean back seat post like the one in your 20” Haro, just for aesthetics but the factory setup is definitely comfortable and the quality of the embroidered seat is top shelf.

Here is a look at my Haro with the new bars. Post up yours when you get it!

Photo

|