Got new stem/headset, steerer tubes too short now....

Related:
Create New Tag

8/1/2013 7:23 PM

I just ordered a new stem and a new headset, and now my steerer tube is wayyyy too short, does this mean I have to buy new forks as well!? Or can I do something about it?
Also, do new forks come with extra long steerer tubes so I can cut it down as needed?

|

Why be the same when you can be different?
Official Vital Buddy: Chrisaustin

8/1/2013 8:22 PM

put no spacers in between stem and headset and see how much tube is left then try putting compression cap and see if it tightens the headset down enough REMEMBER TO LOOSEN THE SIDES BEFORE TIGHTEN DOWN THE STEM

|

8/1/2013 8:47 PM

Mfwic_ wrote:

put no spacers in between stem and headset and see how much tube is left then try putting compression cap and see if it tightens the headset down enough REMEMBER TO LOOSEN THE SIDES BEFORE TIGHTEN DOWN THE STEM

Yeah I've done all those things and the stem hardly goes into the steerer tube at all, there's not enough length in the steerer tube.

|

8/1/2013 8:49 PM

dont get cult sect v2s.. mines barely big enough for one medium spacer.. though i love the actual forks.. they just dont have a very long steerer tube.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

8/1/2013 8:56 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

dont get cult sect v2s.. mines barely big enough for one medium spacer.. though i love the actual forks.. they just dont have a very long steerer tube.

Should I get like 170mm steerer tube? I don't know how long mine is, my fork is the stock fork off the 2012 verde spectrum.

|

8/1/2013 8:57 PM

Old headset cap will probably solve this.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

8/1/2013 9:02 PM

It's annoying that I won't be riding for even longer now.

|

8/1/2013 9:08 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

I tried the old headset cap as well and it doesn't fit much better.

|

8/3/2013 3:23 AM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

LDewey wrote:

I tried the old headset cap as well and it doesn't fit much better.

Try it without the headset cap.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/3/2013 3:32 AM

The Horror Contact wrote:

Try it without the headset cap.

Yup! I know a few riders that don't bother with the cap regardless of Steerer Tube length!

|

8/3/2013 5:11 AM

Just wondering, what headset and stem are you running now?

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/3/2013 5:14 AM

Take a picture of your set up. It appears your doing something weird

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

8/4/2013 4:13 PM

The Horror Contact wrote:

Just wondering, what headset and stem are you running now?

I'm running a primo headset and a alienation iron maiden stem.

|

8/4/2013 4:24 PM

Use the topcap of your old headset, new bearings, and it "should" work.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/4/2013 4:40 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I put the old headset cap on and the stem still hardly fits. My old stem fits but it i messed up my old stem.

|

8/4/2013 4:42 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

LDewey wrote:

I put the old headset cap on and the stem still hardly fits. My old stem fits but it i messed up my old stem.

The stem must have a larger clamping area then, taking up more room on the steer tube.

New stem or new forks are basically your best bet.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/4/2013 4:49 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

LDewey wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

The stem must have a larger clamping area then, taking up more room on the steer tube.

New stem or new forks are basically your best bet.

Could you recommend me a fork with a long "safe" steerer tube length. I don't know how long mine is now, all I know is its the stock 2012 verde spectrum fork.

|

8/4/2013 4:58 PM

170 or higher would be a safe number. but im not seeing very many forks with that large of a steerer tube.fiend embryo has a 170 steerer. truthfully 163 seems average... usually stock stuff comes with a higher steerer tube.. are you running it slammed?

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

8/4/2013 5:09 PM

okay forks that i know that have a long ass tube are any promo tube, they always have heaps left over and i had to cut it down to the threads then put spacers in there to make it fit because i didn't want to have the threads cut.

Animal Barrett 170mm
Odyssey R-Race 166mm
Primo Kamikaze V3 168mm
Primo Strand V2 175mm which you can get on dans at the moment for $69 to $139 i have the V1's and they are bloody beautiful and hold up to some pretty heavy street

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

8/4/2013 5:46 PM

My federal liquid fork has about half an inch I could cut, I have 2 spacers and my stem is nearly all the way down with it uncut.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/4/2013 8:15 PM

Frames also differ in headtube length

You don't have to run the top bearing cover of the headset at all, you can just put the stem straight on top of the split ring. But this won't get you a whole inch of room, only a bit.

Do NOT run the stem if the steerer doesn't go past the top steerer clamp bolt

|

8/4/2013 10:10 PM

jawn wrote:

Frames also differ in headtube length

You don't have to run the top bearing cover of the headset at all, you can just put the stem straight on top of the split ring. But this won't get you a whole inch of room, only a bit.

Do NOT run the stem if the steerer doesn't go past the top steerer clamp bolt

Yeah it barely goes past the bottom steerer tube clamp bolt. :/

|