Gotta few questions

Related:
Create New Tag

2/26/2012 2:56 PM

So im buying some R25s pretty soon here, along with a sunday freeze stem. I've been hearing a lot about chrome being weaker due to hydrogen? embrittlement. Is that true? and I've also heard the freeze is the stem with the highest rise out of any topload, is that correct as well? And also, would the freeze be weaker due to the different manufacturing process? Thanks guys!

|

(bigddy56@gmail.com if you need anything)
REFS obiwan chromoly*_brendan*VAM999*Joe Green*louie101202*Night Light*ticaleb*phocraken*RiverSideRider*A08*andynahnah*Chuck8273*

2/26/2012 3:10 PM

I wouldn't sweat the Chrome being weaker thing, Chrome has been a staple in BMX for years. As far as the stem goes I have no idea. I just try to stay away from parts that have a reputation for breaking or bending, I'd figure being a Sunday product you're in good shape

|

2/26/2012 3:40 PM

not sure on the freeze stem, I'd assume it's good though
as for the chrome, you're correct, the chroming process does something weird to it causing molecules to wanna escape and crack easier and once it cracks even the slightest bit it's real prone to snapping

or something along those lines, someone explained it much better in another thread awhile back as to why old school bikes broke often cause they were all chrome, look it up if you want

|

2/26/2012 3:44 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

not sure on the freeze stem, I'd assume it's good though
as for the chrome, you're correct, the chroming process does something weird to it causing molecules to wanna escape and crack easier and once it cracks even the slightest bit it's real prone to snapping

or something along those lines, someone explained it much better in another thread awhile back as to why old school bikes broke often cause they were all chrome, look it up if you want

poop... i guess black forks wont kill me, so black it is!

anybody have any info on if the freeze is weaker and if there is a higher rise topload out there?

|

(bigddy56@gmail.com if you need anything)
REFS obiwan chromoly*_brendan*VAM999*Joe Green*louie101202*Night Light*ticaleb*phocraken*RiverSideRider*A08*andynahnah*Chuck8273*

2/26/2012 4:21 PM

bump! somebodys gotta know!

|

(bigddy56@gmail.com if you need anything)
REFS obiwan chromoly*_brendan*VAM999*Joe Green*louie101202*Night Light*ticaleb*phocraken*RiverSideRider*A08*andynahnah*Chuck8273*

2/26/2012 4:26 PM

i garuntee the chrome wont make it weak enough that youll destroy them any easier.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

2/26/2012 4:28 PM

I just looked on dans and nope, the sunday has the highest rise out of all the top loads

|

2/26/2012 4:29 PM

my friend had the freeze stem and it is the highest rise stem as well. its good smile

|

Refs: netty speghetti, aw1234512[x2], Dudeisdrumer109, daniel21, paVimo, ticaleb, Showtime402[x2], brendan.magner.9
VIDEO OF OUR DIRT SKATEPARK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54l6T-1xEwo

2/26/2012 4:41 PM

future FBM wrote:

i garuntee the chrome wont make it weak enough that youll destroy them any easier.

i do some bigger drops, and over time it might. i just dont wanna risk it.

and the freeze it is!

|

(bigddy56@gmail.com if you need anything)
REFS obiwan chromoly*_brendan*VAM999*Joe Green*louie101202*Night Light*ticaleb*phocraken*RiverSideRider*A08*andynahnah*Chuck8273*

2/26/2012 5:06 PM

future FBM wrote:

i garuntee the chrome wont make it weak enough that youll destroy them any easier.

daniel 21 wrote:

i do some bigger drops, and over time it might. i just dont wanna risk it.

and the freeze it is!

if a normal fork can take 4000 lbs (jst a random number) then chrome could take like 3995.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

2/26/2012 5:10 PM

this might answer the chrome question

"1/23/2012 1:23 PM

"Chuck8273 wrote: If you ride hard, and you want your forks to last, stay away from chrome. Hydrogen embrittlement is real. If you're smooth and don't land hard on your forks, go for it."

I read a thing on that, maybe the G.F. stuff on the G-SPORT sight? anyway, crazy stuff that, the hydrogen getting trapped and trying to escape out of any cracks in the chrome making for weak spots, or something like that.

I keep telling myself that's why dynos and GTs always broke in the 90's"

|

2/26/2012 5:27 PM

future FBM wrote:

if a normal fork can take 4000 lbs (jst a random number) then chrome could take like 3995.

but i might end up putting 3996 lbs on it, and i woulda been safe with black forks.

|

(bigddy56@gmail.com if you need anything)
REFS obiwan chromoly*_brendan*VAM999*Joe Green*louie101202*Night Light*ticaleb*phocraken*RiverSideRider*A08*andynahnah*Chuck8273*

2/26/2012 5:28 PM

daniel 21 wrote:

i do some bigger drops, and over time it might. i just dont wanna risk it.

and the freeze it is!

future FBM wrote:

if a normal fork can take 4000 lbs (jst a random number) then chrome could take like 3995.

daniel 21 wrote:

but i might end up putting 3996 lbs on it, and i woulda been safe with black forks.

your bike not mine

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

2/26/2012 5:55 PM

if you want a high rise stem check out the profile push, or madera's coming out with one that looks pretty ridiculous also

|

Maintenance guy at The Railyard Bike Park in Rogers, Arkansas

facebook.com/TheRailyardAR/
Insta @the_railyard

facebook.com/tedhuie
Insta @ted_danger

2/26/2012 5:57 PM

tedhuie wrote:

if you want a high rise stem check out the profile push, or madera's coming out with one that looks pretty ridiculous also

already did, the sunday is taller

|

(bigddy56@gmail.com if you need anything)
REFS obiwan chromoly*_brendan*VAM999*Joe Green*louie101202*Night Light*ticaleb*phocraken*RiverSideRider*A08*andynahnah*Chuck8273*

2/26/2012 5:58 PM

Really? i havent seen the sunday, but it must be fucking huge if its taller than the push!

|

Maintenance guy at The Railyard Bike Park in Rogers, Arkansas

facebook.com/TheRailyardAR/
Insta @the_railyard

facebook.com/tedhuie
Insta @ted_danger

2/26/2012 5:58 PM

future FBM wrote:

i garuntee the chrome wont make it weak enough that youll destroy them any easier.

this.

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

2/26/2012 5:59 PM

tedhuie wrote:

Really? i havent seen the sunday, but it must be fucking huge if its taller than the push!

its pretty tall, but the difference is small between the push and the freeze. but with the freeze being like half the price of the profile, plus taller, and coming from a reputable company, ive decided on the freeze. the only thing that bothers me is its made a little bit weaker because of how its manufactured. and it could slip. Idk, we'll see.

|

(bigddy56@gmail.com if you need anything)
REFS obiwan chromoly*_brendan*VAM999*Joe Green*louie101202*Night Light*ticaleb*phocraken*RiverSideRider*A08*andynahnah*Chuck8273*

2/26/2012 6:02 PM

tedhuie wrote:

Really? i havent seen the sunday, but it must be fucking huge if its taller than the push!

daniel 21 wrote:

its pretty tall, but the difference is small between the push and the freeze. but with the freeze being like half the price of the profile, plus taller, and coming from a reputable company, ive decided on the freeze. the only thing that bothers me is its made a little bit weaker because of how its manufactured. and it could slip. Idk, we'll see.

technically forging is stronger because it melds the molecules while cnc gets rid of the molecules... it will be fine... the problem is whenever it is mass produced there is the possibilty of it being done incorrectly... but it is sunday so you will be fine... bt profile is much more proven then sunday.. just saying

|

I have nothing against pegs at all, I don’t think you’re dumb if you ride pegs, I don’t care about your pegs, they are just pegs! What I do hate is the fact that every person in BMX hops on this bandwagon of three pegs, and beanies, and weed, and hop-over grinds… It’s just sad that the pros who influence kids are more worried about looking cool than the kids themselves! It’s crazy!-Trey Jones