Grease?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/12/2019 2:50 AM

What is the best Grease to you when putting together a new complete out of the box?

|

7/12/2019 3:51 AM

Grease lightning.

|

7/12/2019 4:17 AM

I like park tools poly lube, but it is a little expensive

|

7/12/2019 4:50 AM

bulk waterproof marine grease. Bearings are sealed on most bikes

|

7/12/2019 5:00 AM

standardbmx14mm wrote:

Thats what I currently use. I was worried when I first used it that it may be bad for the rubber seals and break them down. But it's three years later and I have had zero problems.

Are you ever supposed to open sealed bearings to clean them or not?

|

7/12/2019 5:34 AM

standardbmx14mm wrote:

Beamex wrote:

Thats what I currently use. I was worried when I first used it that it may be bad for the rubber seals and break them down. But it's three years later and I have had zero problems.

Are you ever supposed to open sealed bearings to clean them or not?

I’ve opened sealed bearings in the past. But they’re cheap enough to just replace. If they’re worn and feel rough, no amount of cleaning and greasing will fix em

|

7/12/2019 5:38 AM

Yeah I'm thinking it may not be worth the trouble. Plus they tend to last me a long time anyway. Sorry about hijacking your thread FitFamily.

|

7/12/2019 6:03 AM

standardbmx14mm wrote:

Would that be okay in the cranks?

|

7/12/2019 7:35 AM

I use grease

|

7/12/2019 7:58 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

I use grease

Spearmint grease?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/12/2019 8:00 AM

Lol, is this becoming a forced meme?

|

7/12/2019 8:15 AM

spit

|

fack off

7/12/2019 8:54 AM

Any grease is better than none, but a bike specific grease is probably best. Park Tool, Phil Wood, etc

|

7/12/2019 10:12 AM

meatXloaf wrote:

Grease lightning.

Contrary to the "Bird", I hear Grease is the word.

|

7/12/2019 11:05 AM

I've popped BB sealed bearings open and cleaned and regreased them many times over the years. I had one BB outlast 3 sets of cranks and 2 frames. Got em from gritty to smooth (it was dirt causing the gritty feel) by pulling seals off both sides, then BLASTING with brake cleaner. Then I put one seal on and use wet chain lube (or ceramic if I am at the shop I part time at).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/12/2019 12:07 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

I use grease

p1p1092 wrote:

Spearmint grease?

All hail.

|

7/12/2019 12:08 PM

I use high temp bearing greasewith anti-seize. You can get a big tube of it for cheap at Home Depot.

|

7/12/2019 2:15 PM

standardbmx14mm wrote:

FiTFamily3 wrote:

Would that be okay in the cranks?

I use it in my cranks no problems yet.

|

7/12/2019 2:22 PM

phil wood grease all dAyyy

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/12/2019 2:32 PM

Spenlard wrote:

phil wood grease all dAyyy

And par ends for life!

|

7/13/2019 5:54 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I've popped BB sealed bearings open and cleaned and regreased them many times over the years. I had one BB outlast 3 sets of cranks and 2 frames. Got em from gritty to smooth (it was dirt causing the gritty feel) by pulling seals off both sides, then BLASTING with brake cleaner. Then I put one seal on and use wet chain lube (or ceramic if I am at the shop I part time at).

Yes, I agree Dave. One can absolutely fix a gritty or rough feeling sealed bearing by doing exactly what you described. Just be careful to use a small pick to remove the seals and not to bend the metal band in the seal.

|