Grease , WD40 , cutting bars

Related:
Create New Tag

2/3/2014 8:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2014 8:46 PM

Couple questions.

1 : Should I grease my driver ? I ride a freecoaster as most know. I'm pretty sure I should. But I really don't know.

2 : If I put my chain in a bag and WD40 it overnight letting it soak , will it be ok IF my driver is greased? It will stretch though wouldn't it? I believe so , just checking beforehand.

3 : Will home depot cut my handlebars and seatpost for free? Not paying to get them cut , I have no saw or anything. I want an inch of each side (30' wide bars) and I can't slam my seatpost.

4 : Hairspray works best to remove grips , I'll try it.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/3/2014 8:54 PM

dont use wd40 for chains its not a grease it attracts dirt and really makes chain worse get white lightning chain lube

|

trading primo wheels hmu
Text for faster reply 503-957-1330

2/3/2014 8:56 PM

1- I don't know much about freecoasters & maintenance, but I believe so.

2- You can put your chain in a bag with WD40 in it and let it soak, BUT in the morning you need to clean it off. I soaked my old chain in a butter lid overnight then wiped it down with a towel and used an old toothbrush to clean the rollers up. WD40 is a de-greaser so MAKE SURE you re-lube the chain, NOTTTT with grease!! Use fine lubes like White Lightening chain lube, or some people I know use 3 in 1 oil, I've used it and it works great too.

3- They'll probably charge labor costs, I have no clue though for sure.

4- Air compressors work best, putting grips on with them is a breeze! But not everyone has access to one. Never tried the hairspray method but I've used spit, zip ties & even spokes haha

|

2/3/2014 8:56 PM

use an air compressor for grips. hairspray gives you grip throttle

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

2/3/2014 9:23 PM

i use wd40 for grips
idk about the home depot shit
GREASE YOUR GOD DAMN COASTER
some use white lithium, it works great, phil wood is fine as well

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

2/3/2014 9:54 PM

Retarded, but if I'm lazy, I'll get greasy lube and q-tips and roll over all the rollers while cranking the whole chain around. If not, I'll get a zip-loc bag and spray a bunch of random oils including WD-40, white lithium grease, and silicone oil, and just slosh the chain around.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

2/3/2014 10:04 PM

for cutting bars, get a pipe cutter, works better than using a saw

|

2/4/2014 7:36 AM

feeble_to_face wrote:

Until it dries tacky.

I use rubbing alcohol.

Don't use WD40 UNLESS YOU ARE CLEANING/REMOVING GREASE. It is not a lube.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/4/2014 7:53 AM

I use WD40 or water for removing grips and hairspray for application. Hairspray works perfectly fine.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

2/4/2014 10:02 AM

feeble_to_face wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Until it dries tacky.

I use rubbing alcohol.

Don't use WD40 UNLESS YOU ARE CLEANING/REMOVING GREASE. It is not a lube.

^^^^ Rubbing alcohol is good for me just do it as fast as you can.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

2/4/2014 10:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2014 10:12 AM

And grease the driver, with a thinner grease. BUT NOT WHERE THE CHAIN GOES. ONLY INTERNALLY.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/4/2014 4:36 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

And grease the driver, with a thinner grease. BUT NOT WHERE THE CHAIN GOES. ONLY INTERNALLY.

Thanks. I need 2 greases...fuck. A thinner grease for the internals of my hubs/BB then a thicker one for my chain and driver.

I can't afford this shit.

|

My Cult 2 Short

2/4/2014 4:56 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Thanks. I need 2 greases...fuck. A thinner grease for the internals of my hubs/BB then a thicker one for my chain and driver.

I can't afford this shit.

Nooooo you want OILS for your chain, not grease. I use this stuff for my chain at the shop, but if I'm not there, I usually use 3 in 1 oil for it

[LINK TO IMAGE]

this stuff, only costs a couple bucks

As for grease, I use this stuff, I'm sure Walmart has it for a couple bucks as well. At the shop I use this blue grease that comes in a small tub, but forget the name of it offhand.

|

2/4/2014 5:54 PM

a brand new hub shouldn't need maintenance. ( I think you mentioned you got the hub recently?)

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT taking your bike to Home Depot. They can't cut wood accurately, I wouldn't trust them with bike parts.

Buy a hacksaw. They're cheap enough.

Or, maybe you have a friend of the family that has some tools/hacksaw?

Don't you kids have dads with tools?

|

2/4/2014 6:04 PM

@Sunday would the GREASE be good for the hubs? As mentioned , I need it for freecoaster maintainence , internally for the bearings and hub shell , but also for the driver. I don't think you should ride it just raw , plus my chain has like no "oil" (grease) on it , so it would basically be metal on metal.

@PNJ I'd trust them. My 2 friends work there also. Naahhh man no money. I don't really have a fatherly figure in my life , my dad is often too busy to bother with me. He wouldn't have time to help me.

|

My Cult 2 Short

2/4/2014 6:16 PM

Grease will be fine for the bearings, but new bearings & freecoasters typically do not need greasing right away but it's always nice to have grease handy. I saw this on Google images, and there's a couple tutorials on YouTube on what to grease. Looks to me they greased everything up besides the threaded area on the driver, they only very lightly greased that area from the looks of it. The outside of your driver doesn't need greasing, maybe oil the chain some if there isn't any fresh lube on it, but the lube will wear off and onto the driver/teeth to give it some lube as well

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

2/4/2014 6:25 PM

Thanks alot Sunday ! Appreciate it. I guess i'll buy lube for my chain first and ride my hub as is. Eventually I'll need to remove the internals so I can make it max slack and grease everything but maybe I'll hold off.

|

My Cult 2 Short