Grease / maintence V2

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2014 8:04 PM

So I picked up some Castrol grease and Castrol chain lube ( Sprayable, also says helps against water , mud , abrasion , etc). So here is what I plan to do , if you can so kindly tell me if this is a decent maintence or any tips.

GREASE : Cranks , pedal boss, splined area
Spindle
Axles , front and back , where the bolt goes
Stem bolts , internal threading of stem
FREECOASTER (Hub shell ,internals) , if I can get my hands on the adjustable wrench I'm missing
Misc. (Sprocket bolts , etc)

CHAIN MAINTENCE : Take chain off , put in bag , fill with WD40
Next morning take it off , and put the chain lube on both the chain and the sprocket , maybe sllightly on the driver as well.

THANKS , APPRECIATE IT !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/7/2014 8:24 PM

Seems to be good to me, but don't grease your axles, axle bolts yes, but I've never greased male axles with regular nuts. When you grease a female axle bolt, only put a lick on. Same with stem bolts, AS NEEDED. If there's still some grease on the stem bolts, they're fine. If they're bone dry then grease them asap.

Sprocket bolts, I only ever put a tiny lick on their threads.

Also grease your crank bolt threads, fork compression cap threads, and where your headset bearings sit in the frame, BB bearings too.

As for chain lube, usually what I do when reapplying lube is just flip the bike upside-down with the chain on the driver/sprocket, and pedal backwards and as the chain is moving, apply the lube at the driver for a couple cranks. Minimal mess, and gets the job done nicely

|

2/7/2014 8:28 PM

Grease anywhere where metal touches metal (except steerer tube, bars, dropouts, seat post, etc.). Bearings, bearing races (inside the tubing, yes), every last thread on your bike, splines, under pressfit hub hardware, inside your rear hub (anywhere where metal touches metal!), etc.

Chain maintenance, put it in a bag with WD-40 for a few hours. Shake it up every now and then. If you have an old tooth brush or even paint brush, scrub it down with it in the wd40. Dry it off with a hair dryer or let it air dry. Apply lubricant.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/7/2014 8:30 PM

^^^ Greasing the seat post is a good idea actually, makes removing it easier & it doesn't rust. Just a lick though, I have mine caked with grease though cause I have a wedge post

|

2/7/2014 8:33 PM

Never heard that before. I feel like itd be the same as greasing your steerer tube. Oh well, when I get my new post eventually I will do that for sure.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/7/2014 8:35 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Never heard that before. I feel like itd be the same as greasing your steerer tube. Oh well, when I get my new post eventually ...more

Nope, cause if you greased your steerer tube, your stem's making the contact there and would slip.

Greasing your seat post though, the seat clamp makes contact with the seat post but not the greased part, so it still clamps fine

|

2/7/2014 8:42 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Never heard that before. I feel like itd be the same as greasing your steerer tube. Oh well, when I get my new post eventually ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Nope, cause if you greased your steerer tube, your stem's making the contact there and would slip.

Greasing your seat post ...more

Ohh ohh I gotcha! So grease the inside of your seattube, below the clamping area? Makes sense. Thanks homie.

|

2/7/2014 8:44 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Ohh ohh I gotcha! So grease the inside of your seattube, below the clamping area? Makes sense. Thanks homie.

yeah I should've specified just inside there haha

|

2/8/2014 9:28 AM

I approve of this thread haha...

It's always fun removing parts from kids bikes that are completely seized up from lack of grease.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/8/2014 9:49 AM

transition_chris wrote:

I approve of this thread haha...

It's always fun removing parts from kids bikes that are completely seized up from lack of ...more

Fun = hell haha. It's funny to see them like "You're never gonna get that off." then 2 seconds later, get it off

|

2/8/2014 9:20 PM

How the hell do you take a Gsport GLAND guard off a Ezra back hub. I need to take the driver off. I might go much with it now. Also , got 2 pairs of blue and orange ODI grips (only colour available) so I mixed them both for a shoutout to Brett. They're on purple bars, eh whatever.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/8/2014 9:25 PM

Cant you just cut the zipties/shoelace to get the gland off?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop