Grind box height size

Related:
Create New Tag

5/27/2020 5:54 PM

I'm thinking of building a grind box but I'm not too sure on the height. Other forums have said around 16 inch but that seems like it'd be a little short in my opinion. I'm thinking of making the box 8' long and around 2' wide but I don't know what a good height would be. I don't want anything too short so I'm curious as to what you guys recommend for an ideal box height.

|

5/27/2020 6:38 PM

I built mine at 18. It works

|

5/27/2020 6:47 PM

Mine is about 16" high, 8' long,16" wide, if I want it taller, just add some boards underneath. I made it all ghetto though, had some ply and shelving pieces in my garage asking to be used. Could also flip my base and it would be 18" tall but that would lose support. Too bad my driveway isn't very level.

|

5/28/2020 5:35 AM

I made mine at 18" (10' x 2')

|

5/28/2020 6:04 AM

I say go for the full 24 inches atleast. Anyone can grind a little box. Your pegs ride about 10 inches high as it is. So jumping 14 inches to the ledge wouldn’t be that hard. Having good form to hop on to the ledge is important for grinds, so making it taller will work to your benifit. Also dismounting from the box that is taller will be helpful too. I started smiths on a small box. The first time I went to smith a 3 foot ledge I went over the bars because coming off my form was off

|

5/28/2020 6:38 AM

Back in the day roommates and I built two-they were 24" wide, 8' long and about 18" tall. We had angle on the top. I made a rail and we had a little jib setup in the driveway/street.

Now I just have a couple rails. I plan to build a couple wedges to make a portable A frame, and maybe a kicker or two for some fun. I'd LOVE to put a miniramp or a quarter in somewhere.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/28/2020 12:47 PM

rainescustoms99 wrote:

I say go for the full 24 inches atleast. Anyone can grind a little box. Your pegs ride about 10 inches high as it is. So jumping 14 inches to the ledge wouldn’t be that hard. Having good form to hop on to the ledge is important for grinds, so making it taller will work to your benifit. Also dismounting from the box that is taller will be helpful too. I started smiths on a small box. The first time I went to smith a 3 foot ledge I went over the bars because coming off my form was off

Yeah that's what I was thinking but the only problem is this is going to be my first experience with grinding as I just got pegs. Would 24 inches be too difficult to learn on or do you think id be just fine?

|

5/28/2020 12:49 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Back in the day roommates and I built two-they were 24" wide, 8' long and about 18" tall. We had angle on the top. I made a rail and we had a little jib setup in the driveway/street.

Now I just have a couple rails. I plan to build a couple wedges to make a portable A frame, and maybe a kicker or two for some fun. I'd LOVE to put a miniramp or a quarter in somewhere.

That's sweet you'll have your own decent sized skatepark for yourself if you have all of that haha. Miniramps take up a good amount of space though, so you might need a lot of space for that. If not that then you can definitely just build 2 8' quarterpipes and it'll be just as good and portable.

|

5/28/2020 1:10 PM

can you hop onto a 24 inch ledge?

if you make it too tall and can't hop onto it that would kind of suck....

you can always put stuff under it to raise it up.

i like the number 18.. but make two so you have more length to slide on.. 8 feet is too short IMO

|

5/28/2020 6:00 PM

supersnivy87 wrote:

Yeah that's what I was thinking but the only problem is this is going to be my first experience with grinding as I just got pegs. Would 24 inches be too difficult to learn on or do you think id be just fine?

Short answer is yes, make it practical and fun for learning stuff. Probably around 16" would be a good start.

|

5/29/2020 4:54 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

supersnivy87 wrote:

That's sweet you'll have your own decent sized skatepark for yourself if you have all of that haha. Miniramps take up a good amount of space though, so you might need a lot of space for that. If not that then you can definitely just build 2 8' quarterpipes and it'll be just as good and portable.

My yard is almost half an acre, the hurdle is convincing my wife it is necessary hahaaaha

I figure I just add smaller stuff like that and then I can stack things neatly when not in use. I also figure if I built a mini or even a quarter, I could pretty easily put storage under the deck(s) for my kids' toys etc, OR make them a little playhouse on one end to "make it look nicer".

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/29/2020 6:11 AM

Weird...this image popped up on my FB memories.

Photo

These are the grind boxes we made WAY back in the day. Turns out it was 9 years ago. We spent around 50 bucks. I had angle iron to add to them already. Angle is cheaper than a hardware/big box building material store IF you go to a welding/metal supplier.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/29/2020 8:51 AM

Go at least 2 feet tall , if you want to get some big muscles going build it 3 feet high

|

5/29/2020 1:35 PM

You could make it 8ft x 16"x20", you could go from 16" to 20" by flipping it. One of the angle iron would be shared between 16" and 20"...

|

5/29/2020 4:03 PM

rainescustoms99 wrote:

supersnivy87 wrote:

I only got pegs a month ago and I picked it up right away. You will too. Really if you’re not doing smiths or learning on a straight concrete ledge on metal pegs you probably won’t fall or get hurt at all... also I really like what black swamp said. That’s a good idea. You will have the best of both worlds. One a bit lower and one a bit higher... let us know how you do when you get done building it. I would bet you will be doing febels within the first hour

|

5/29/2020 7:23 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

You could make it 8ft x 16"x20", you could go from 16" to 20" by flipping it. One of the angle iron would be shared between 16" and 20"...

that's actually a really good idea I think I might just do that. just a few questions, would u say 8 feet is long enough for a box or should I try to get it a bit longer cause I don't have much space so 8 would be perfect for portability and space. And is there any videos on a box like this as I've never seen it done before

|

5/29/2020 8:02 PM

8 is okay but it will get short soon..

but doing two 8 footers is cool because you can move them easier and make it 16 foot and do different lay outs with them.

|

5/29/2020 9:04 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

supersnivy87 wrote:

that's actually a really good idea I think I might just do that. just a few questions, would u say 8 feet is long enough for a box or should I try to get it a bit longer cause I don't have much space so 8 would be perfect for portability and space. And is there any videos on a box like this as I've never seen it done before

I don't know about any videos, I just thought it up as I was reading this thread.. 8ft because it's a standard length. I like Pnj idea of a couple 8 footers too..

|

5/29/2020 11:28 PM

Couple more ideas..

If you get the right caster wheels, you can mount two at the one end, then to move it, pick up the other end and wheel it wherever you want.

You could also put round coping on the bottom corner for a third and fourth grinding option..

|

5/30/2020 2:57 AM

If you cannot at least hop manny onto whatever height you decide on, then I would call it too high. Anything higher than 18" is probably not really ideal for someone starting out with pegs.

|

5/30/2020 4:14 AM

streethack wrote:

If you cannot at least hop manny onto whatever height you decide on, then I would call it too high. Anything higher than 18" is probably not really ideal for someone starting out with pegs.

I can’t hop manny at all but I can hop on to a 3ft ledge just fine

|

6/1/2020 5:51 PM

I personally wouldn’t build it that tall. I’d say 16-18 but it depends on what you’re wanting to do. I don’t really see the point in a super tall grind box since it’s mostly just used to have to something to chill and grind. Plus you’ll be able to learn more tech grinds if it’s not too tall

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/8/2020 3:56 PM

anyone else got some photos of their designs.

|

6/8/2020 11:12 PM

Had one back in high school when I used to ride and it was pretty short, but I just got back into riding and made one that 8’x2’ and goes from 15” high to 25” high. It also has 2 caster wheels on the end to move a lot easier. I plan on making a second flat one so I can connect them and have a flat to angled 16’ box.

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

6/8/2020 11:19 PM

Nike iD wrote:

Had one back in high school when I used to ride and it was pretty short, but I just got back into riding and made one that 8’x2’ and goes from 15” high to 25” high. It also has 2 caster wheels on the end to move a lot easier. I plan on making a second flat one so I can connect them and have a flat to angled 16’ box.

woah that's sick. that's definitely something I want to do so when I'm learning new grinds I can keep it at around 16 and when i feel confident push it up to like 24. do you have a link to the plans for it or did you just make it yourself? You should definitely post some pics of it that sounds amazing

|

6/8/2020 11:33 PM

supersnivy87 wrote:

woah that's sick. that's definitely something I want to do so when I'm learning new grinds I can keep it at around 16 and when i feel confident push it up to like 24. do you have a link to the plans for it or did you just make it yourself? You should definitely post some pics of it that sounds amazing

It’s not adjustable, just angled Photo

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]