Grind ledge?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/24/2017 7:37 AM

The ledge at my local is too low for pegs so I was thinking about building a ledge out of wood and metal sheet. Has anyone got any tips or experience in this? Also around how much would it cost and would it last?

|

An Indian on a small bike

10/24/2017 7:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/24/2017 10:07 AM

I wouldn't use sheet metal. It'll dent too easily & be useless before long. Find a nice piece of angle iron... say 1/4" 3x3 & use that. It'll be very durable & last.

|

10/24/2017 8:20 AM

I have this ledge at the edge of a car park at the end
Of my street and I was thinking of sticking angle iron onto that but it is fairly busy with cars so I decided not to waste my time/money

|

Hmmm

10/24/2017 8:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/24/2017 8:38 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I have this ledge at the edge of a car park at the end
Of my street and I was thinking of sticking angle iron onto that but ...more

Not to mention that it isn't your property to do with what you want.

|

10/24/2017 8:38 AM

I work in a sheet metal mill and avoid it . It'll dent in 1 grind and be all fucked up and not that ideal after even a light session . Get a L shaped metal coping piece , my buddy spent 200$ on a ledge he built ( CAD price too ) and it's solid as fuck

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/24/2017 8:44 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I have this ledge at the edge of a car park at the end
Of my street and I was thinking of sticking angle iron onto that but ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Not to mention that it isn't your property to do with what you want.

I don't see the difference between doing this and building/riding at a Diy. I doubt that 99% of people would notice

|

Hmmm

10/24/2017 8:46 AM

Depending on size, you could build one for around 50 bucks USD.

IF you go with 2 feet wide, 18" tall, 8 feet long, you would be around that in cost.

-2 sheets of 2'X4' plywood (easy to put in a car-or get a sheet of 4'X8' and cut in half or make 2 boxes)
-A piece of Angle Iron 8 feet long-I suggest getting AT LEAST 2"X2".
-You can then add a piece of flat stock steel in the same thickness alongside it for additional sliding/wood protection but this is not necessary. Just makes the plywood on top last longer/slides be a bit smoother.
-7 or 8 2X4s 8 feet long
-Box of screws
-Drill to drill holes and countersink screws into the angle iron so they don't poke out. (assuming you have this already)


http://diyskate.com/ledge_01.html

Set the measurements to what you are looking to build (height, width, length) and adjust plywood accordingly.

I've loved having boxes over the years. I plan to make a new one come spring to go along with my 3 different rails.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/24/2017 8:57 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I have this ledge at the edge of a car park at the end
Of my street and I was thinking of sticking angle iron onto that but ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Not to mention that it isn't your property to do with what you want.

Edman123 wrote:

I don't see the difference between doing this and building/riding at a Diy. I doubt that 99% of people would notice

It doesn't matter if 99% or even 100% of the people don't notice. IT ISN'T YOUR PROPERTY TO FUCK WITH.

|

10/24/2017 9:07 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Not to mention that it isn't your property to do with what you want.

Edman123 wrote:

I don't see the difference between doing this and building/riding at a Diy. I doubt that 99% of people would notice

Mishinn_Control wrote:

It doesn't matter if 99% or even 100% of the people don't notice. IT ISN'T YOUR PROPERTY TO FUCK WITH.

Ok

|

Hmmm

10/24/2017 9:12 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I don't see the difference between doing this and building/riding at a Diy. I doubt that 99% of people would notice

Mishinn_Control wrote:

It doesn't matter if 99% or even 100% of the people don't notice. IT ISN'T YOUR PROPERTY TO FUCK WITH.

Edman123 wrote:

Ok

He's not wrong.

That's one of the issues I see with current street kids-they think they can do anything they want to "make a spot better". Riding street has become riding a prefab park these days with some kids complaining the spot isn't perfect, and then bringing concrete, tools and so on to make it into what they want...to me that is making a park, not riding street.

The most modifications I have done in 18ish years on a BMX riding street were bringing a board to a huge bank in a parking lot, wax, or using my SHOE to kick a better lip into a grass hill to boost it.

A couple times we brought our own kickers/boxes etc to a parking lot, BUT we never left them there.

Regardless, if it is your property, HAVE AT IT. If not, either figure out how to ride it without mods (wax is ok, or a board to make it work).

DO NOT ride a BMX there or have ANYTHING to do with BMX visible when you do it.

We do not need that kind of negativity.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/24/2017 9:22 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

It doesn't matter if 99% or even 100% of the people don't notice. IT ISN'T YOUR PROPERTY TO FUCK WITH.

Edman123 wrote:

Ok

dave lawrence wrote:

He's not wrong.

That's one of the issues I see with current street kids-they think they can do anything they want to "make a ...more

But what about Diy spots? What about illegal dirt jumps In the middle of a forest? What about parks with no bikes allowed? Where do most people draw the line and where do most riders draw the line? What about leaving black marks all over a ledge? What is vandalism and what isn't? I have been in situations where security guards have tried to take my bike off me for doing a footjam on a bank, I have also been in situations where the security doesn't seem to care if I am grinding a ledge or even waxing in in full view of them.
I guess different people have different views about what is and is not OK.

|

Hmmm

10/24/2017 9:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/24/2017 10:08 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Ok

dave lawrence wrote:

He's not wrong.

That's one of the issues I see with current street kids-they think they can do anything they want to "make a ...more

Edman123 wrote:

But what about Diy spots? What about illegal dirt jumps In the middle of a forest? What about parks with no bikes allowed? ...more

If the owners or the owners representative says you can't be there, you have no choice. All you should do in that instance is say "ok. Thank you." & be on your way. The sport doesn't need the negativity of "punks being punks". Personally, I ride whatever I can. But if someone comes out & says I can't, I move on. Technically, if you are leaving black marks on their building, or even if they were there before & you get caught there, they should hold you liable for that as damage or vandalism.

|

10/24/2017 9:49 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

If the owners or the owners representative says you can't be there, you have no choice. All you should do in that instance is ...more

Yes if security tells me to leave then I always leave no questions asked. I was just thinking whether the owner of an old factory knows there is a skatepark I there (my local Diy) or the land owner of a forest knows that there are jumps in there. Is a sign a representative of the owner? Because I will walk straight past a no entry sign knowing that I am never going to win a lawsuit (but only an idiot would take them to court) and I will also start riding if there is a security guard there but if I am told to leave I will. I'm not sure if this is a grey area or if I just have bad judgement.

|

Hmmm

10/24/2017 9:55 AM

Edman123 wrote:

But what about Diy spots? What about illegal dirt jumps In the middle of a forest? What about parks with no bikes allowed? ...more

That last part is EXACTLY it.

To fasten a piece of angle to a ledge, he would need either caulking/glue or a drill and bolts. BOTH would do a fair bit of damage to a ledge.

Wax also does also, but does not modify the ledge to something else technically.

But to heavily mod it into something you would find at a park is where I draw the line. Wax and tire marks are different-one could argue that someone who sucks at parking a car is vandalizing a curb when their tire rubs it. Or it is vandalism when someone drops literally anything that cannot just blow away. A piece of gum isn't just litter.

As to illegal trails, sure, back in my day we had some we trespassed for, but I no longer go that route. I just don't ride them anymore, and if I was to do so, I would travel to a legal set-either public or private.Parks that are "no bikes allowed" is RARELY a law. Usually it is a rule placed by the parks department because they want to mitigate perceived damages and liability. Many times it is actually their risk insurance policy that dictates no bikes. But then again, anyone who doesn't wear the required padding is breaking rules, smoking in the park violates rules too. How about the fact that no one under the age of 18 seems to understand what a garbage can is these days? That could also be argued as vandalism.

Honestly technically ANYTHING that is damaging can be called vandalism, from a sticker, to wax, to adding angle to a ledge. Being respectful to the spot and trying to minimize your damage is your best bet. As to riding parks "illegally", when it is a location legitimately made for that kind of use, grinding ledges etc, I do not believe it is vandalism. Putting stickers, paint, and modifying it is. If it is a spot designed to look nice and is NOT intended for use by "extreme" sports, then it is.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/24/2017 10:07 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

He's not wrong.

That's one of the issues I see with current street kids-they think they can do anything they want to "make a ...more

Edman123 wrote:

But what about Diy spots? What about illegal dirt jumps In the middle of a forest? What about parks with no bikes allowed? ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

That last part is EXACTLY it.

To fasten a piece of angle to a ledge, he would need either caulking/glue or a drill and ...more

I guess I'll just ride spots as they come then but not much can stop me riding and there will at least be some trespassing and damage that comes with that. I might pick up some plastic Pegs now I understand that adding angle iron would be a bad idea. However I will still probably be riding my local Diy sometimes and still maintaining the the jumps that I occasionally ride if I am riding them. To me that is a part of bmx that may be illegal but is victimless so I can justify it.

|

Hmmm

10/24/2017 10:17 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Yes if security tells me to leave then I always leave no questions asked. I was just thinking whether the owner of an old ...more

Posted signage that states "No Trespassing" or "No Skateboarding" whatever can be enforced. Generally speaking, a cop will usually come by & just tell you to get out. BUT, if you are riding there (& yes, I have done my share), despite the signs, you could end up with a ticket or worse depending on the municipality. Generally, owners of vacant property only want a few things, 1.) Their property to be kept in good repair (or at least not destroyed by anyone) & 2.) Not be sued by some kid who ignored no trespassing signs, gets hurt on the property, then sues the owner, like it's their fault the kid was a douche bag.

|

10/25/2017 1:01 PM

Hahaha. Build it and put it wherever you want. I'm tempted to build a cement ledge in the car park near me. I couldn't care less if someone else owns the property. If they ask me to move on, I will, and I wouldn't be rude. But if they act like a dick, I'll act like a dick to them. If they want to press charges they'll have to find me. I'm hardly going to tell them my name and address......

How can I justify this behaviour? I've been riding over 20 years, and our local council won't give us a skatepark. Despite myself starting a petition. The most local park to me was designed by skaters so it sucks. Bmxers have NEVER been catered for locally. If someone moans at me for riding a ledge, I'll explain that to them. Plus, we are all products of our environment. If the ledges and grey buildings weren't there, I wouldn't be able to ride them. But I also wouldn't have to see them. I don't want to see big bill boards instead of trees, or some ugly corporate building instead of a field. Or a neglected car park instead of a nice family park. And, at least I'm using those things in a creative way. I'm not selling drugs, or getting drunk. I'm not making anyone else's life unpleasant by riding my bike

|

10/25/2017 1:11 PM

I think they should just put angle iron on ledges when they build them these days. It would just make everything easier. People are going to ride or skate ledges no matter what people try to do to stop them. They might as well make them for it and have them last and stay attractive longer.

|

10/25/2017 3:40 PM

I think there are several people here missing the point. The fact that you don't have anything built for you is not anything but your problem. Having a public skatepark is not an entitlement. Im not saying it doesn't suck, but surely you can't think that because your local government has not built you a place to ride that it's ok to ride anything you want. Just because you started a petition doesn't mean that your local government is going to allocate the land, funds(taxes paid by everyone), & hire someone to design & build a skatepark. You don't know the reasoning or logic for the lack of a public park. There may not be any money in the budget for it. This self-entitlement that you have, in large part, the reason that BMX has the negative connotations that it does. If you don't understand why it's not ok to roll up to a business (small or huge corporation) & start doing feeble hard 180s off of there ledges or rails, then you are either to dumb, don't care about anyone but yourself, or you have some serious growing up to do. Nobody owes you anything. Skatepark or not, you still should have enough sense to not put our sport at risk by being an ass clown. If you are naturally & genetically(or by trade), without fault of your own, an ass clown, I understand. But if that's the case, do everyone a favor & get a scooter.

|

10/25/2017 3:48 PM

whosbender wrote:

I think there are several people here missing the point. The fact that you don't have anything built for you is not anything ...more

So I should quit riding because there isn't a designated area to ride? Bmxers and skateboarders have ALWAYS used what they can find. It's a part of it. If you don't like that maybe you should quit.

I couldn't care less what the general public think of bmx. It's not for them. It's for us. They'll happily look down their nose at us for whatever reason (not so much now, because it's more popular than when I started, so has become more acceptable). So why I should I care?
I pay my taxes, and have seen what my local council are spending money on, you haven't, so you can't make that call. You don't know the spots I'm talking about, or how little the council cares about keeping it neat and tidy. So your argument is invalid.

|

10/25/2017 4:27 PM

Fine. Your right. I wish I would have known that my argument was invalid or I would have used the one where the guy with the stellar attitude & perseverance got a skatepark built in his city. Or the one with the 2 cows that ate all the grass they were standing around. The 1st cow thought that since he fertilized the ground, it owed him some grass. He stood his ground & eventually starved to death. The 2nd cow knew that the ground wouldn't be producing anymore grass for awhile so he walked a short distance to the next field & enjoyed plentiful amounts of delicious grass. The moral of the story: Sometimes you gotta move where the food is. (Side note- The 2nd cow lived only a few more weeks because the farmer saw how fat the cow had gotten from eating all that grass & took him to slaughter. So maybe this argument is also invalid...)

|

10/25/2017 6:39 PM

There's more than one side to it, yes. Locally we ran into similar issues as grumpysteve did, and it literally took a 14 year old skater kid getting ON THE PARKS AND REC BOARD to get the skatepark idea to gain traction. There were dudes battling for 17 years before him to get something and they were not able to gain much traction.

The kid didn't just say "we want a skatepark", he asked "what can we do to make a park happen" which showed some initiative, and then HE PUT IN TONS OF WORK to make it happen. His family and a handful of others fundraised over 100K to contribute towards it. 17000 square feet of wedges, ledges and rails.

Now the park technically doesn't allow bikes, but after some discussion with skaters asking if there was a BMX ONLY park locally would they ride it and 100% said yes, they started to realize yelling "NO BIKES" made them hypocrites. Now 95% of the skaters don't really care unless you are a douche.

The quote from that kid was "If your town doesn't have a skatepark, your town is a skatepark." which also stands 100% true. BMX inherently involves trespassing, and law-breaking UNLESS you ride only bike friendly parks. Technically riding brakeless is illegal in most communities, no helmet under 18 can be as well. Sometimes riding in the street is illegal, sometimes on sidewalks is.

The biggest thing I cannot stress enough is BE RESPECTFUL TO PEOPLE AND PROPERTY as much as possible. When getting the boot, say "OK" and leave, even if they get froggy with you. Don't intentionally smash stuff up-like ride a ledge, sure, but don't intentionally trash it by slamming pegs down. If you do it in such a way that the owners don't know what is happening, they cannot place blame on any group.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/25/2017 6:44 PM

As far as grumpysteve saying "bmx is for us", I agree, BUT I also don't want to continue to be harassed by idiots who don't know how to differentiate between two people.

Example would be when I have (on NUMEROUS occasions) been accosted by people for riding my bike and legitimately being TOLD I was the guy smashing stuff, breaking windows and so on with ZERO evidence aside from that the bad guy had a bmx-style bike. They literally said I did it.

Another example was a bike cop telling me that I "probably stole the sign at the park that says no bikes allowed" despite that I RODE MY BIKE THERE and the sign was gone for like 2 years before that.

A third example which I have posted here, was when a mom dropped off a couple kids who instantly lit up cigs, and she yelled at me for riding the "no bikes" skatepark because it was a "rule". She threatened police. I laughed and said call them, so I can tell them about the MINORS she dropped off who are smoking on the park (rule at this park is no smoking in the park itself), their lack of helmets etc, AND that she CLEARLY provided them with the cigs.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/25/2017 11:58 PM

I don't think it's OK to go out and deliberately cause damage. I just want to make that clear. But if I see a nice wall ride and it's on someone else's property, I'm sure as hell going to ride it. As long as it's not literally on someone's house. I wouldn't grind someone's wall for example. But some corporate business with nice ledges outside? That's fair game. However, most of what I ride is in public space that no one (or the council at least) really cares about. And I'm certainly not actually damaging anything. It sounds like you have the same shitty opinion of bmxers that the general public have.

I didn't only start a petition. I put in a lot more leg work than that. And it was pretty much decided and done. The proposed site was decided with the council, and I had quotes from skatepark builders all ready to go. This all started after news of a self funded youth centre was forced to move by the council. The youth centre had a skatepark on it's property. The council shut it down to use the land for something else and the youth centre wasn't given anywhere to move the skatepark too.

There's a multi story indoor skatepark being built. Not by the council, but by some millionaire who's doing it for the recognition. Again, I made contact with them as soon as I heard about it, and non of my ideas have been listened to. I'm 36, I've been riding over 20 years, and I used to skate. But guess who's designing the actual park? An architect who has no experience. It's going to be all concrete, which means once it's there, nothing can be changed. I told them to think about the longevity: wood is cheaper and can be changed easily. They haven't listened. This town is the only town locally that doesn't have a council funded skatepark.

The town I usually ride in is a whole other story though. I started riding trails there in 96. The council gave permission for the trails, but also gave a strict boundary. Once we went outside that boundary to make an existing line work, they got flattened. We rebuilt them, and they're still almost there today. But everyone knows about them. They won't help dig, but they'll happily case landings all day and invite their scooter friends to ruin the lips. They haven't been running properly for years now.
The bmxers of that town (myself and longterm friends included) fought for years to get a skatepark and it never happened. Then, a skateboarders mum got a job for the council and they decided to build one (bmxers weren't invited to any of the meetings, we literally had to find out where and when, and just turn up to get our voices heard). It wasn't a bad park at all. But they banned bikes a year or so after it opened. Then, with a bit of pressure, they build a bmx only park. It wasn't as good, and was on really rough tarmac. After a few years, they took down the fence between the two parks and moved stuff around. It was at its best then. That only lasted a few more years. Then they changed it all up again, a few new things, but designed by skaters (an old skating buddy of mine worked for the youth centre that helped fund it). Literally only a handful of people can clear the jump box because it's so poorly laid out. Recently they took nearly half of the park away (these were parts that were in the very first park, about 17 years ago). They haven't been replaced, and it's starting to look like the land will be taken away. Guess what for? A car park. Because a car park is more profitable.

So yeah, I feel a little angry. That literally means the only way I can get a good skatepark here is if I buy some land and build it myself. Which I'm very tempted to do.
But, I'd rather ride street anyway. It's more enjoyable. It's more creative. And it's what I like about riding. I'm not going to quit because someone gets upset and assumes I'm breaking things.

|