Grind rail, element flat bar

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2019 5:41 AM

I was going to buy a subrosa street rail but my shop doesn’t have any and they were saying it’s a pain to get them in, another shop near me has a element flat bar rail, 6ft long and adjustable heights 13in being the highest. I know 6ft is on the short side but has anyone rode a element grind rail? I know a lot of you might say make one or go to a welder and get one made up but was just wondering, a adjustable height rail would be nice for a low setting so I could use it in the winter when I can session in my basement.

|

10/17/2019 5:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 5:52 AM

bikect wrote:

I was going to buy a subrosa street rail but my shop doesn’t have any and they were saying it’s a pain to get them in, another shop near me has a element flat bar rail, 6ft long and adjustable heights 13in being the highest. I know 6ft is on the short side but has anyone rode a element grind rail? I know a lot of you might say make one or go to a welder and get one made up but was just wondering, a adjustable height rail would be nice for a low setting so I could use it in the winter when I can session in my basement.

Honestly the subrosa rail at 8ft feels short. 6ft would feel like on/off. I guess for a small space it could work out since you will need less speed but I dont think it would be as fun.

|

10/17/2019 5:56 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Honestly the subrosa rail at 8ft feels short. 6ft would feel like on/off. I guess for a small space it could work out since you will need less speed but I dont think it would be as fun.

I forgot to mention this is just for a quick 15-30min session when I get out of work and too lazy/tired to go to the park. I work an off shift

|

10/17/2019 6:04 AM

bikect wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

bikect wrote:

I forgot to mention this is just for a quick 15-30min session when I get out of work and too lazy/tired to go to the park. I work an off shift

In that case, go for it. For a few lil jibs here and there it would be fine I would think.

|

10/17/2019 6:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 6:32 AM

Don't buy it. the novelty will wear off so fast as its too short. get the subrosa. If you like it you have a ton of options to keep it interesting.

My only beef with the subrosa rail is the fixed 18". OC ramps and keen ramps ship better values for a single rail in that regard.

edit: OC ramps prices have really gone up. but their stuff is nice.

|

10/17/2019 6:29 AM

13” the highest? Not even worth it imo. That’s barely high enough to get pegs onto. And it’s not designed to take the impact of a bike. You’re better off getting the subrosa rail, or just riding kerbs. I’m sure it’s fine for a few boardslides, but I can imagine it not lasting long at all for bmx

|

10/17/2019 8:19 AM

Weld your own.

|

10/17/2019 8:35 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

Weld your own.

Tips for a beginner?

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

10/17/2019 8:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 8:45 AM

SlavBMX wrote:

Tips for a beginner?

Decide what dimensions you want, buy tubing, cut it, notch it, clean it, weld it. Simple as.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/17/2019 9:03 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

Weld your own.

SlavBMX wrote:

Tips for a beginner?

p1p1092 wrote:

Decide what dimensions you want, buy tubing, cut it, notch it, clean it, weld it. Simple as.

I understand the process, but em.. how much are steel welding tools?

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

10/17/2019 9:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 9:44 AM

SlavBMX wrote:

I understand the process, but em.. how much are steel welding tools?

You should be able to pick up a decent stick machine for pretty cheap off craigslist. Some good gloves, a slag hammer, a wirebrush and a welding helmet(unless you go for an auto helmet) probably won't cost much more than $50. If you have a fabrication shop near you, you should be able to get scraps to practice on for next to nothing. I'd recommend E6013 rods as they're quite easy to learn with and with very little experience, you can make a strong, nice looking weld.

It's a great skill to learn; you never know when it might come in useful.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/17/2019 10:10 AM

Weld your own...lol.

when you're done you can just weld your own frames up.

|

10/17/2019 10:39 AM

jmz313 wrote:

Weld your own...lol.

when you're done you can just weld your own frames up.

It's doable but I'd recommend TIG over anything else for thin wall tubing like what is used in frames, however, it's a good deal more expensive to make a nice TIG setup.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

10/17/2019 11:43 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

It's doable but I'd recommend TIG over anything else for thin wall tubing like what is used in frames, however, it's a good deal more expensive to make a nice TIG setup.

Oh i know. Just the idea of suggesting to someone wanting to buy a Grind rail that they buy a welder, learn to weld, then build it, in one try i'd assume , is pretty funny.

|

10/17/2019 12:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 12:06 PM

jmz313 wrote:

Oh i know. Just the idea of suggesting to someone wanting to buy a Grind rail that they buy a welder, learn to weld, then build it, in one try i'd assume , is pretty funny.

I don't think it's funny or unrealistic. Perhaps the OP already has a welding machine or experience with one. Either way, it's a pretty good first project and they develop a skill which may come in handy again some time in the future.

That "it's too difficult" attitude is exactly what's killing the trades here; everyone here just wants to get a degree and sit in front of a computer for the rest of their lives.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

10/17/2019 12:44 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I don't think it's funny or unrealistic. Perhaps the OP already has a welding machine or experience with one. Either way, it's a pretty good first project and they develop a skill which may come in handy again some time in the future.

That "it's too difficult" attitude is exactly what's killing the trades here; everyone here just wants to get a degree and sit in front of a computer for the rest of their lives.

Or the guy just wants to ride his BMX bike.

I'll look for him on VitalWelder next time i'm reading flux reviews.

|

10/17/2019 12:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 1:00 PM

jmz313 wrote:

Or the guy just wants to ride his BMX bike.

I'll look for him on VitalWelder next time i'm reading flux reviews.

He'd probably be riding his bike on a rail sooner if he built it himself and what better to ride his bike on than something he built himself...

It was just offered as another option; I really don't understand why you're making such a big deal of it. Too many "flux reviews" making you cranky?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

10/21/2019 12:58 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

jmz313 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

If we're being real, you don't even have to weld a rail that well. if you're on a stick machine you could probably just tack it and it would be fine..

If on a mig, you could just glob it all on and it would work.

|

Come back with a warrant.

10/21/2019 2:12 PM

Shoot, if anyone needs welding help, my son could help you... Photo

|