Grinding dropouts

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2018 7:04 PM

How far can you grind a drop out down and how do you do it? I was looking at a fit wifi v2 or potentially a wtp doomsayer when they come out but I wanted a cs under 13" how would I go about grinding down the dropout so my back end is shorter? and how far can i do it .25? .5?

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/18/2018 9:13 PM

Could probably go about .25 any more I'd be worried about

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/18/2018 9:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2018 9:30 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

That's what I was thinking a 13 cs wouldn't be too bad but it probably rides at 13.25 or some shit lol maybe I'll just get a battleship or bsd

|

8/18/2018 10:37 PM

Four wrote:

That's what I was thinking a 13 cs wouldn't be too bad but it probably rides at 13.25 or some shit lol maybe I'll just get a ...more

I'm really wanting a Battleship , but its $430 here . Everything is perfect on it , it has welded on dropouts but I highly doubt I'd miss them up . The 12.7 chainstay would be sweet slammed , but still not ultra crazy . Only thing stopping me from ordering one is that I can get a new ALVX for $335 . It pretty much is everything I want besides it has a lower stand over which isnt a big deal . I rode one for about a minute at the skatepark and it felt pretty good . The fat dropouts are sweet too . Just depends what happens I guess LOL I might impulse buy one at any notice . I really like the wethepeople but not sure if I can justify an extra $100+ on some nice graphics and paint I like.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/19/2018 7:36 AM

Four wrote:

That's what I was thinking a 13 cs wouldn't be too bad but it probably rides at 13.25 or some shit lol maybe I'll just get a ...more

I'm really wanting a Battleship , but its $430 here . Everything is perfect on it , it has welded on dropouts but I highly ...more

Yeah they're the same price here so it makes deciding worse haha. I like the battleship but a 20.6 alvx sounds nice too. I want to try 76+ ht but shorter cs is nicer imo.

|

8/19/2018 12:54 PM

If you have no intention of using pegs, I'd say you could grind it down to where your wheel still fits without touching the welds. But they only way to tell how much you'd need to grind out would be to get it, build it, and see where your wheel sits. You might only have to take a few mm off to be able to run it slammed without the chain being silly tight.

|

8/19/2018 2:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2018 2:35 PM

Chuck your axle in the dropout slam it mark it with a permanent marker because you dont want it to rub off when going to work on it, then decide how far you want to bring the dropout forward and make sure you still have enough meat in the center. Make sure not to go to far where your axle bolts and cones touch the welds. I'm going to do it to my H1 take a couple mm off to get a nicely slammed 13"CS. I was running 12.75 on my industry but its really loopy with a 11.75 bb.

Oh yeah use a dremel with a sanding drum about 13.5-14mm will do it if you have one. If not id suggest buying one, cheap one no need for something expensive. Youll get a much nicer finish with that as opposed to using an angle grinder or file etc.

|