Grips Specs. What and why.

Related:
Create New Tag

5/28/2019 8:03 AM

Not sure if this has a thread already but haven't heard much about grip specs. What do you prefer and why?
Type of pattern that works best for you?
Thick or thin, soft or hard material?
Flanges/flangeless?

For me, its:
Thicker grips (31mm plus) without the mushroom style rings (they seem to waste a lot of force as the rings move instead of your bars/bike) flanges are preferred but just to protect my bars when falling (I don't bar so they're not in the way).

|

5/28/2019 8:17 AM

they all are the same to me once they break in. I Will buy Hoder grips cause they feel good outta the pack and are 12 bucks shipped on ebay. But if i get freebies at a jam or from a friend i use them no problem.

I do prefer flangless look.

|

5/28/2019 8:58 AM

I just switched from Cult vans grips to S&M Hoders

The Hoders are infinitely more comfortable. I actually like the mushroom style (never used to) now because of how much they flex and compress and give.

The Cult Vans have such a small and stiff pattern that they ended up pooling sweat in the grip and don't twist enough for me.

The Hoders are also much softer while being thicker. I'm real happy with them so far.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/28/2019 9:39 AM

I've been digging the T-1 grips.

Medium thickness, big flange with raised lettering for added grip and mushroom pattern with solid bars for a more solid feeling.

They also put my hand farther out on my cut Hoder bars, because of the shorter length.

|

5/28/2019 10:58 AM

Animal Edwin. I’m currently using fbm black heart grips though. They feel nice now they’ve bedded in but were too thick at first. I like thin grips, preferably fairly soft. But grips always feel the best when they’re nearly destroyed

|

5/28/2019 11:21 AM

I have so far tried Animal Kocsis and T1 grips. I prefer the Kocsis. I like flange grips personally.

|

5/28/2019 11:41 AM

Always used to be edwins for me. but I’ve currently got some stolen Sean Morr grips, Only got them cuz they were cheap and I love them, can’t see me buying anything different anytime soon!

|

5/28/2019 11:44 AM

I have to throw Eclat into the suggestions bag. If you haven't tried them yet, they are made by ODI but are even softer and stickier. Its like longnecks on steroids, they are puffier/thicker so if you're into that kind of thing give the Eclat Filter grips a try. Also their bar ends are beefy as fuuuuuck.

|

i love dick

5/28/2019 11:54 AM

Forgot to add, no flanges, but I put the grips on the wrong way so I hold the thick bit that’s usually at the end. Strangely, I hold with my thumb and forefinger on the bars instead of on the grip

|

5/28/2019 12:36 PM

ODI Longnecks all the way. Not fun the first two or three rides, but once they break in they last me about 6 months.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

5/28/2019 1:17 PM

ODI Longnecks have been my grip of choice for the better part of the last 10 years.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/28/2019 1:45 PM

I swore by Odi Longnecks but have forever switched to Primo Mike Harkous signature grips. I didn’t know I could enjoy a grip so much. They are essentially an Odi Long neck with way more cushion(thicker) and slightly taller ribs. The extra length is meh, it’s the feel. Love the feel.

|

5/28/2019 1:46 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

I have to throw Eclat into the suggestions bag. If you haven't tried them yet, they are made by ODI but are even softer and stickier. Its like longnecks on steroids, they are puffier/thicker so if you're into that kind of thing give the Eclat Filter grips a try. Also their bar ends are beefy as fuuuuuck.

You pretty much described my favorite grip. I’ll give those a try sometime. Good heads up on those FOF.

|

5/28/2019 2:40 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Animal Edwin. I’m currently using fbm black heart grips though. They feel nice now they’ve bedded in but were too thick at first. I like thin grips, preferably fairly soft. But grips always feel the best when they’re nearly destroyed

I noticed that too. The Cult vans grips only got good right before I decided to toss them.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/28/2019 3:15 PM

I've mainly used animal edwins. I'm trying stranger grips right now which are okay. I wanna try S&m grips next, but will go back to edwins in flangless this time.

|

5/29/2019 1:18 AM

Anything thick with flanges and a lock on system , think I got some giant lock on grips

|

5/29/2019 2:41 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Forgot to add, no flanges, but I put the grips on the wrong way so I hold the thick bit that’s usually at the end. Strangely, I hold with my thumb and forefinger on the bars instead of on the grip

I used to ride like this all the time, specifically bought the super long ODI grips to see if I could stop because it fucked my thumbs and I got used to holding them normally again after a couple of sessions

|

5/29/2019 2:50 AM

.pegless. wrote:

cigforzoot wrote:

I used to ride like this all the time, specifically bought the super long ODI grips to see if I could stop because it fucked my thumbs and I got used to holding them normally again after a couple of sessions

It doesn’t really bother me. I’ve been holding my grips/bars like this since I first went brakeless about 15 years ago. It doesn’t matter how short I cut my bars either. It just feels more comfortable

|

5/29/2019 3:03 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I also do that. I find it puts quite a bit less strain on my thumbs and wrists to have them sitting off the grip. Holding full grip is just weird and uncomfortable.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/29/2019 4:23 AM

I went from odi to éclat shoguns. super soft and grippy.

|

5/29/2019 7:19 AM

i'm riding the odi hucker grips but will go back to regular longnecks. i really enjoy the aaron ross grips and deco grips as well.

|

fack off

5/29/2019 5:41 PM

I really liked Odyssey's Raiford grip. Super soft right off the bat. I just went to odi longneck xls because I wanted the extra length to cover more of the bars.... the odis aren't bad, but they are taking forever to break in for me....

Anyone else make longer grips?? 160mm seems to be the max that I have seen from most brands...

|

5/29/2019 5:53 PM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

I really liked Odyssey's Raiford grip. Super soft right off the bat. I just went to odi longneck xls because I wanted the extra length to cover more of the bars.... the odis aren't bad, but they are taking forever to break in for me....

Anyone else make longer grips?? 160mm seems to be the max that I have seen from most brands...

The Raifords are the best grips I've ever had. It's like they're broken in right out of the packaging and they last ages!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/29/2019 6:58 PM

I only ride grips made of 6061 aluminum

|

5/30/2019 4:57 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

That’s dumb. 7075 grips are harder and clearly better.

|

5/30/2019 10:41 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

Y'all haven't moved to titanium grips yet?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

5/30/2019 10:44 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

carbon fiber, light and grippy.

|

5/31/2019 4:23 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

Komedy wrote:

carbon fiber, light and grippy.

Naw, I’m correct.

|

5/31/2019 10:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2019 10:32 AM

Sensus swayze grips flanged, thin soft american made by ODI, mountain bike grips. Nyquist runs em too theyre amazing out of the box. I prefer flanged for hand position reference i also run brakes

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten