Grips - cut on outside edge?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/26/2015 9:48 PM

Bear with me:

Never had reason to cut very much off a grip before, but got these United Nathan Williams for my 8-yr old's bike, and he's got brakes on both sides- theyre longer than the ODIs we've had, so I gotta cut em, but he wants to KEEP the flanges cause he's used to them being there.

Photo

Q: I assume I really shouldn't cut off from the outside end beyond that small, 2nd smooth, "solid" ring from the end. Like into the small ribs that make up most of the grip?
Not concerned so much about it looking ragged- the bar end will be there. More concerned about the grip breaking up faster.

Anyone got any experience with that?

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

7/26/2015 10:09 PM

You can cut the grip, but stop at that second ring.

If you cut more, you risk shortening their life really quick, those thin buggers are going to rip off in one hour, then it is going to wear super fast progressively into the grip.

Is sliding the brakes in a big problem?

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

7/26/2015 11:52 PM

Nah, I can slide the levers in a bit if need be. I want his hands in a nice stable location, but I'll stop after outermost ring & Thx for advice & confirming.

|

Frmrly BmxBos

7/27/2015 12:10 AM

Umm, he's 8. Unless he's blasting off of stuff and get throttle grip (the grip twistng) cutting even further in then the cut line won't make all that much of a difference. I don't think $10 grips would wear out any sooner or later.

|

7/27/2015 12:54 AM

Simply put your grips on the bar, once the flange is next to the brake, cut the exceed of grips put the bar end and you're good.

|

7/27/2015 4:30 AM

Hmm thanks for responses. I wont worry hugely on it then!

Re these grips, we're liking the feel of the horizontal lines a lot.

|

Frmrly BmxBos

7/27/2015 5:50 AM

Hmpf.

Them's all get em from the ODI Longnecks, I tell ya. Everywhere you've got that copying of those famoos lines.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.