Grips issue?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/11/2018 3:50 PM

So today I’m just riding around doing a couple hops and my hands burn like always I’m running the odi grips.also After riding there’s is always tiny pieces of the grip on my hands. So after my last hop I notice a very sharp burn and a part of the skin on my hand peels off. I’m just wondering if it’s the grips or I should start wearing gloves. If so what other grips would you recommend ?Photo

|

4/11/2018 3:52 PM

It's just your callouses.... that happend when you use your hands... the grips are fine, gloves can help so maybe try those... you're fine...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/11/2018 3:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2018 3:59 PM

Gloves do help a lot, if your not a heavy glove user and are reluctant I will say look for a pair that is slim fit I only say this because the difference between a slim fit and regular with quite a bit of padding is completely different. You might not like the thick one if used to riding without gloves. But having said that what has happened to your hand is normal I guess, never happened to me always had callouses develop to protect from that but I also always use gloves just for added protection and feel when falling etc. You can also get too hard/tough of a grip, if you do you can always boil them for 10-15 mins and it'll fix them right up making them much more comfy.

|

4/11/2018 3:58 PM

Fly finno if you can find them or ODI longnecks.

|

4/11/2018 4:17 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Gloves do help a lot, if your not a heavy glove user and are reluctant I will say look for a pair that is slim fit I only say ...more

I’m not really into the idea of wearing gloves tho I wanting to see if it’s only me or happening to other people too

|

4/11/2018 4:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2018 4:21 PM

tahir wrote:

I’m not really into the idea of wearing gloves tho I wanting to see if it’s only me or happening to other people too

Fair enough, most people will likely say that callouses need to build up, that it could be normal or your grips are too hard. GL.

Or your just to hardcore and thats why you're ripping callouses off tongue

|

4/11/2018 4:25 PM

It happens, just let the skin build up into proper calluses. It'll be sore for a while. But once they've hardened you won't have a problem

|

4/11/2018 4:31 PM

Stop being a wimp

|

It’s all bmx

4/11/2018 6:10 PM

Mine always look like this. Just from grabbing the bars hard...Photo

|

4/11/2018 6:41 PM

You’ll learn to live with it. Gloves can help but don’t depend on it.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/11/2018 7:11 PM

The way I see it, you have three options:

Wear gloves, but that won’t prevent callouses. I rarely ride without gloves and still have callouses.

Change grips. I’ve run lots of different kinds and personally I really like the Cult Vans Waffle.

Don’t do anything and let the callouses build up. It takes time.

Learning guitar is similar. The tips of your fingers need to build up layers of skin to be able to cope with the repeated friction.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/11/2018 7:12 PM

This happens to me a lot when I dont ride for a while and then get back to riding. Your calluses kinda get softer and less durable in a sense when you're not riding.

It's only ever been a problem from me when getting back to riding after a good period of time (maybe like a month at the least.) If I've got a solid riding routine going then they stay hard and I dont have any problems.

I also file mine down when I'm riding seriously to prevent them from building up to much & getting sore. I've even used a belt sander jokingly to do it one time when they were like painfully thick lol.

I'd say, file them down and keep them from getting too thick. If you're just coming back to riding from a hiatus then that's probably why. I dont think grips have much to do with it, whatever feels the most comfortable to you should work best!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/11/2018 8:23 PM

Pretty normal for riding a lot.

|

4/11/2018 8:31 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Wear gloves, but that won’t prevent callouses. I rarely ride without gloves and ...more

I used to have the vans waffle grips but they were too hard for me did you boil them by any chance? And how long you think I should wait until I ride again it burns like crap right now

|

4/11/2018 8:34 PM

Looks like im going to have to get them stronger Any suggested time for me to ride again it’s burning at the moment

|

4/11/2018 10:12 PM

Cut your callouses off when they get like that to prevent it from ripping off . I’ve had mine rip off and go so deep that doctors said it was the equivalent of a third degree burn and I had to have my hand wrapped and bagged for like a month. Now when I feel them getting too thick , I pinch the skin together with my fingernails , and when it kinda volcanoes together , you get nail clippers and it takes the layers away . Sounds gross when i type it but it really does help

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/11/2018 11:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2018 11:42 PM

When I stopped riding a couple years ago it took over a year for my calluses to go away their more of an annoyance then a health concern although as Brayden described they can become a concern if not taken care of.

Personally I didnt mind them then and dont now. When I first started riding I wore gloves but ended up out growing them. I love the feel of good grips on my palms if your interested in gloves shadow conspiracy sells some pretty solid looking sets

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/12/2018 1:26 AM

Gloves help, but not that much.
I found that the shadow chulla or any dcr grips with pattern like this, consisting in multiple little lines help a lot:
Photo

But your hands don't look all that callused.

And for a little threadjack laughing

How do you guys with heavy calluses deal with your girlfriends/wives?
My gf always complains that it scratches her laughing
So I always have to file them down and use some moisturizing hand cream

|

4/12/2018 4:09 AM

I use hand cream sometimes if the calluses are getting bad or if my hands are getting sweaty mid ride one of my friends usually has some baby power in his bag which helps my hands to not slip.

And am-sheager my ex used to run her fingers over the calluses she was obsessed with them lol.

|

Hmmm

4/12/2018 6:32 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

Gloves help, but not that much.
I found that the shadow chulla or any dcr grips with pattern like this, consisting in ...more

Told all my girlfriends to deal with it . They’re man hand from the gym and using tools as well , so she kinda liked it from that aspect .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/12/2018 6:50 AM

tahir wrote:

I used to have the vans waffle grips but they were too hard for me did you boil them by any chance? And how long you think I ...more

Huh. Well no, I've never boiled grips. I had the Aaron Ross key grips for a long long time and only recently switched to vans. If the Vans waffles are too hard for you, then stick with what you have.

But there isn't much you can do for the burning. I'm a bit of a psychopath when it comes to stuff like that. I used to get poison ivy a lot until I began literally cutting off the affected portions of skin and bandaging them up. I would honestly rather have an open wound than itchy or burning skin.

So my advice, if you really wanna get back out riding, see if you can find some of this stuff:

Photo

It stings like a son of a bitch when you put it on, but its basically antiseptic skin glue. You can try to basically glue that callous flap down, let it dry, do it one more time, and then wrap with bandaids. Either way, I'm guessing what Tim said is what happened? You had a really good callous built up and then stopped riding for a bit, then started up again? That'll happen as the skin begins to soften.

Either way, wrap it up and it should be okay in 2-3 days.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/12/2018 8:34 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I use hand cream sometimes if the calluses are getting bad or if my hands are getting sweaty mid ride one of my friends ...more

Hahaa yes!
And try to cut them with their nails laughing

|

4/12/2018 2:41 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Wear gloves, but that won’t prevent callouses. I rarely ride without gloves and ...more

tahir wrote:

I used to have the vans waffle grips but they were too hard for me did you boil them by any chance? And how long you think I ...more

I've currently got the waffles and at first I found them hard on the hands but after a few rides they wore in a little I think they'll be a lot softer after this summer when their really worn in. But everyone is different right if you peep the product section for grips you'll find a ton of 4-5 star rated grips I'd say may be find one with a pattern you like and give them a try and if not got for odi long necks

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/12/2018 5:31 PM

Your first callous, the day you got one of those on every finger your doing it right

|

4/13/2018 4:16 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Stop being a wimp

Basically....

|

4/13/2018 5:05 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Cut your callouses off when they get like that to prevent it from ripping off . I’ve had mine rip off and go so deep that ...more

This!!⬆️

|

Street yes please