Grrrrr

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2017 12:50 AM

So went to take my bike apart to paint a new colour and my bearings on the bottom of the head tube broke, I can't afford buying one for few weeks, so is it possible to ride without it?

|

Ride till you die

9/27/2017 12:54 AM

No, you can't ride without bearings. Are they sealed or unsealed? If they're unsealed you can put the bearings in without the cage

|

9/27/2017 12:55 AM

They were sealed and it broke in pieces, the ones on top are still good

|

Ride till you die

9/27/2017 12:57 AM

Like I know I can't really do any tricks with it like that, but could I get away with going to work and back?

|

Ride till you die

9/27/2017 3:57 AM

No. You'll flare your headtube and ruin the race on your forks

|

9/27/2017 4:39 AM

Put it back together?

|

9/27/2017 5:06 AM

just buy a new headset, you can get them for under 20 bucks. if you cant afford 20 bucks then check with your local bike shop they may have a bearing for a few bucks

|

9/27/2017 5:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2017 5:11 AM

Is this a joke?

|

9/27/2017 6:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2017 6:48 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

So went to take my bike apart to paint a new colour and my bearings on the bottom of the head tube broke, I can't afford ...more

Were you riding your bike with no problems before you took it apart?

Did you damage it when taking it out or did it just fall out and apart?

If it worked before and you still have all the peices just put everything back in place and see if it holds together till you get a new bearing. I bet you if you just asked a bike shop they'd have a cheapie laying around that they would give to you for free.

I wouldnt advise tricks but cruising maybe if it does hold.

Definitely dont ride it with only one bearing if thats what youre asking.

|

9/27/2017 6:53 AM

I can't believe I am answering this.

Is it t he way it was intended?

If the answer is "no", then don't ride it.

You can't afford $20 bearings, what are you going to do when you destroy your frame? If you can't afford bearings, you can't afford a new frame. Seems like a no-brainer. BUT here we are discussing it.

|

9/27/2017 9:45 AM

Well thanks to the ones trying to be helpful, didn't realize this post justified rudeness but meh. Fixed the problem temporarily, remembered I had a cheapie sport chek bike sitting around so I stole it's bearings for now till I get paid.

|

Ride till you die

9/27/2017 10:29 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

Well thanks to the ones trying to be helpful, didn't realize this post justified rudeness but meh. Fixed the problem ...more

It isn't about being rude. It's a point of common sense. I can appreciate that you don't want to give up riding. But sometimes it just happens & you have to deal with the consequences of whatever issue happens to you. If you had decided to ride you broken bike without bearings or tried to make due with partial bearings you, most likely, would have destroyed your frame. I'm glad you found a fix.

|

9/27/2017 10:43 AM

Be honest a frame braking would of been better then bearings as I don't really have any good bearings sitting around but I do have 2 spare frames sitting around not including the cheap sport chek one lol

|

Ride till you die

9/27/2017 10:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2017 10:50 PM

Cam-bmx wrote:

Be honest a frame braking would of been better then bearings as I don't really have any good bearings sitting around but I do ...more

So the bearing couldnt be put back together? Can you take a picture of the peices?

|

9/27/2017 11:44 PM

Cam-bmx wrote:

Well thanks to the ones trying to be helpful, didn't realize this post justified rudeness but meh. Fixed the problem ...more

Are they the correct bearings? A cheap bike won't have sealed bearings. Caged bearings won't work in a sealed cup

|

9/27/2017 11:47 PM

Cam-bmx wrote:

Be honest a frame braking would of been better then bearings as I don't really have any good bearings sitting around but I do ...more

Photo

when a GT comes in and the frame is defective , this is what we have to do , to insure no one accidentally ends up with it . It was fun , to say the least .
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/28/2017 12:25 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

So the bearing couldnt be put back together? Can you take a picture of the peices?

Lot of the bearings were missing it must of broke while riding and I just didn't realize till I took the bike apart all that is left is 4 bearings

|

Ride till you die

9/28/2017 12:27 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Are they the correct bearings? A cheap bike won't have sealed bearings. Caged bearings won't work in a sealed cup

I didn't put them in a cage just running unsealed till payday then I'll order a new headset

|

Ride till you die

9/28/2017 1:11 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Cam-bmx wrote:

I didn't put them in a cage just running unsealed till payday then I'll order a new headset

Oh i get you so you are running a standard headset? If so, check out the Mechanik sti standard to integrated headset conversion! Super easy and brings an older style frame up to date to use the now standard cartridge bearings.

https://www.danscomp.com/products/301014/Mechanik_STI_Sealed_Headset.html

Comes with the two conversion cups, big goes on bottom, smaller on top, 2 bearings, spacers dustcap, fork bearing race converter and compression ring,

Very happy with mine and it costs about the same as other plain headset...sets

|