Gsport Birdcage Or Odyssey 7KA

Related:
Create New Tag

10/31/2017 5:08 PM

Gsport Birdcage Or Odyssey 7KA Witch would you ride?

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

10/31/2017 5:19 PM

I ride Birdcages... they're good rims, but the 7KA's are stronger than the Birdcages... but the Birdcages are I think 14.4oz and the 7KA's are 17 oz I believe... but if I were buying new rims I'd get the 7KA's, Gsport Ribcage, or Gsport Rollcage...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/31/2017 5:19 PM

Birdcage in the front and 7KA in the back.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/31/2017 5:29 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Birdcage in the front and 7KA in the back.

Or like a Birdcage front Rollcage/Ribcage rear so at least the rims sort of match lol...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/31/2017 5:43 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Birdcage in the front and 7KA in the back.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Or like a Birdcage front Rollcage/Ribcage rear so at least the rims sort of match lol...

I'm just using the options I was given so either the combination I already gave or 2 7KAs if non-matching rims is something that bothers you.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/31/2017 8:50 PM

I use to say 7ka till Gsport came around. Now I would say they are similar with a slight edge to the Gsport

|

11/1/2017 8:05 AM

Birdcage is plenty strong and noticeably lighter than most other rims. I would recommend them. If you're a heavier rider though, I'd go for 7KAs.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/1/2017 11:26 AM

Birdcage rims are beautiful if you're a lighter Rider go for them

|

11/1/2017 1:13 PM

Just get ribs front and back then birdcages are too lightweight

|

11/1/2017 2:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2017 5:30 PM

BNC wrote:

Just get ribs front and back then birdcages are too lightweight

In fairness, besides a 200+ pound rider, I have yet to see anyone break a birdcage.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/1/2017 5:26 PM

I just got a set of birdcages , I’m so excited to see how they hold out

|

11/1/2017 5:27 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I just got a set of birdcages , I’m so excited to see how they hold out

Oh will I tell you... Birdcages are AWESOME!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/1/2017 5:32 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I just got a set of birdcages , I’m so excited to see how they hold out

I'd be very interested to know how they hold up for you. Maybe do a 6 month review if it's not too much bother?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/1/2017 6:09 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I just got a set of birdcages , I’m so excited to see how they hold out

p1p1092 wrote:

I'd be very interested to know how they hold up for you. Maybe do a 6 month review if it's not too much bother?

Probably could do that , winter just started in Canada so I don’t ride as much during that maybe halfway through next summer or something

|

11/1/2017 6:58 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I just got a set of birdcages , I’m so excited to see how they hold out

p1p1092 wrote:

I'd be very interested to know how they hold up for you. Maybe do a 6 month review if it's not too much bother?

eskimojay wrote:

Probably could do that , winter just started in Canada so I don’t ride as much during that maybe halfway through next summer or something

do it yo

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

11/2/2017 9:23 AM

I just got a rib cage rear. Hoping i'm done truing my wheel weekly.

|

11/2/2017 9:54 AM

jmz313 wrote:

I just got a rib cage rear. Hoping i'm done truing my wheel weekly.

Do you have a birdcage?

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

11/2/2017 10:30 AM

jmz313 wrote:

I just got a rib cage rear. Hoping i'm done truing my wheel weekly.

yrrep_nitsuj wrote:

Do you have a birdcage?

No, I decided on the Ribcage because i am 215 lbs. my less $$ option was the Aerospace rim.

The 7KA is basically a standard laced Ribcage. If you are good with birdcage's potential strength then an Aerospace or a Alienation Felon would be my save a few bucks recommendation for you.

Seems odd that you are picking between a Birdcage and a 7KA.

|

11/2/2017 7:55 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

In fairness, besides a 200+ pound rider, I have yet to see anyone break a birdcage.

I've seen multiple sets of birdcages with all sorts of cracks and dents just from regular riding from not fat people. Unless you ride super smooth or true your wheels often i wouldn't ride them. I even snapped my first ribcage, they warrantied it but still i snapped that shit doing a firecracker. Get 7ka's or ribcages if you want the strongest 36h rims. Birdcages are probably ok for most people, but do you want ok parts, or do you want the best? I run a 48h bondeth back wheel and i still break spokes and have to true every couple months.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

11/3/2017 4:37 PM

BNC wrote:

Just get ribs front and back then birdcages are too lightweight

p1p1092 wrote:

In fairness, besides a 200+ pound rider, I have yet to see anyone break a birdcage.

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I've seen multiple sets of birdcages with all sorts of cracks and dents just from regular riding from not fat people. Unless you ride super smooth or true your wheels often i wouldn't ride them. I even snapped my first ribcage, they warrantied it but still i snapped that shit doing a firecracker. Get 7ka's or ribcages if you want the strongest 36h rims. Birdcages are probably ok for most people, but do you want ok parts, or do you want the best? I run a 48h bondeth back wheel and i still break spokes and have to true every couple months.

but 48 holes are like 200 pounds

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

11/3/2017 5:32 PM

I roll with 48 spoke bonedeth and i have 48 spoke 7kas just because im a heavy dude 250 lbs lol

|

brakeless maniac

11/3/2017 6:22 PM

im only 130 lbs and 15 i think 48's are a bit over kill for me

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

8/14/2018 10:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2018 10:33 PM

Well after 4 months of riding my birdcages I’ve put a smell dent in the rim then last weekend I cased a flip and with about 90 psi in the tires put a big dent in the rim and ovalized my wheel , still rolls and holds air , but screw it I’ve been loving my elite birdcage wheelset , I’m sure any rim taking that crash would have gotten dented and smashed, I’m going to order another birdcage and some spokes and rebuild it in a few pay checks , until then I’ll just ride with an annoying hop in my back wheel and see what more damage I can inflict on this rim

|

8/15/2018 2:57 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Birdcage in the front and 7KA in the back.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Or like a Birdcage front Rollcage/Ribcage rear so at least the rims sort of match lol...

That time when Jake almost had a breakdown at the thought of mismatched rims lol.

|

8/15/2018 7:05 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Birdcage in the front and 7KA in the back.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Or like a Birdcage front Rollcage/Ribcage rear so at least the rims sort of match lol...

jbales wrote:

That time when Jake almost had a breakdown at the thought of mismatched rims lol.

Lol yeah

I had my front Birdcage wheel and the wheel was old as hell and i kept breakibg the spokes, so i wanted to rebuild it, but ehen i rebuilt it i could get a Primo VS rim for free so i ssid fuck it and laced it up instead of the Birdcage lol

At least both my rims are black

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/10/2020 9:34 AM

Just going through this thread and I have to say, that I have a pair of bird cages that I got from.someone on here that have 2014 stamped on them. I have ridden nothing else for the past year and they are still straight as an arrow. Last week I noticed my wheel making a creaking sound when I manual so I checked and ALL the spokes were loose.. you could move the rim about 2cm in both directions. Not sure how long it had been like that but I had been riding at least an hour each day all that week. All this to say, if these rims were as weak as some on here seem to imply, then they would now be still straight after 6 years, the last of.which had almost daily use.
These rims are light but they are also STRONG!! I'm pretty sure Van Homan wouldn't ride them if they weren't.
there are stronger ones out there but if you're constantly breaking rims, its probably cuz they're either being assembled wrong or you need to work on your bmx finesse. These rims will hold up. I rarely true them or tighten the spokes and there are 2 gouges in the back rim from missing grinds I do plenty of backlashes, ice picks and fakie grinds all of which load the wheel pretty hard and they're still straight as an arrow. I have no desire to buy heavier ones when these have survived plenty of abuse already and have no signs of failure.
If lighter rims are your jam, do not hesitate to buy these.

|

1/10/2020 6:06 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Just going through this thread and I have to say, that I have a pair of bird cages that I got from.someone on here that have 2014 stamped on them. I have ridden nothing else for the past year and they are still straight as an arrow. Last week I noticed my wheel making a creaking sound when I manual so I checked and ALL the spokes were loose.. you could move the rim about 2cm in both directions. Not sure how long it had been like that but I had been riding at least an hour each day all that week. All this to say, if these rims were as weak as some on here seem to imply, then they would now be still straight after 6 years, the last of.which had almost daily use.
These rims are light but they are also STRONG!! I'm pretty sure Van Homan wouldn't ride them if they weren't.
there are stronger ones out there but if you're constantly breaking rims, its probably cuz they're either being assembled wrong or you need to work on your bmx finesse. These rims will hold up. I rarely true them or tighten the spokes and there are 2 gouges in the back rim from missing grinds I do plenty of backlashes, ice picks and fakie grinds all of which load the wheel pretty hard and they're still straight as an arrow. I have no desire to buy heavier ones when these have survived plenty of abuse already and have no signs of failure.
If lighter rims are your jam, do not hesitate to buy these.

2 centimeters?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA