Can anyone help me out with the year of this old gt bmxPhoto

|

8/3/2017 4:05 AM

BMXmuseum would be way more likely to help with this than we are

|

8/3/2017 9:42 PM

Brian_Jannikos wrote:

Can anyone help me out with the year of this old gt bmxPhoto

I had a GT Performer in the late 80's early 90's when they first came out. To be honest, unless it has a GT logo stamped into the tube behind the seat tube. I don't think it is a GT. I will post a picture of the same frame I had, and you will see the tube size and angle isn't right. It looks too spread out and too thin. Plus, GT used a different seat stay and had a bar under the platform on the frame for stability.
Photo

Photo

|

8/4/2017 1:41 AM

Some better pics ,
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

8/4/2017 1:53 AM

Looks like this gt pro preformer and it has a bottom pate on it Photo

|

8/4/2017 1:58 AM

Not all of them had a bar under the seat Photo

|

8/4/2017 3:01 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

BMXmuseum would be way more likely to help with this than we are

Have you any idea ?

|

8/5/2017 8:10 PM

GT never put v-brakes on a freestyle frame (to my knowledge, on one has - they stick out to much).
Vbrakes do use the same frame mounts as Ubrakes, so someone may have changed them
but...GT never put ubrake mounts on the seat stays. Always on the chain stays for freestyle. Or mounted under the seat stays, never on top as shown. Also, even though brake calipers use same mount, they require different brake levers to work And they pull too much to work with a gyro. so this bike doesn't have a gyro, and doesn't have BMX brake levers. What vbrakes do have is price - they are dirt cheap compared to Ubrakes.

And vbrake on the fork? Wot.

Vbrakes hit mass market in 1996/1997 with Shimanos high end line (XTR/XT). They didn''t trickle down to cheap alloy until 1999 or later. A mid price bike in 1998 would have cantilevers (MTcool or side pull (BMX). A mid priced bike in 2000 would have off brand v-brakes (MTcool or a ubrake (BMX)

I suspect those vbrakes are original. This bike never had dual 990's on it. I think what you have is one of those 'GT style' department store frames. I know GT had a deal with Sears in the early 80's to sell "GT performer" style Free-cycles You got the look of GT, without being a GT.

So: this is a fake GT built 1999 or later,

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

8/13/2017 12:10 PM

Ok cheers mate il sell it on then not worth keeping it

|