Guard Sprocket Q. & What would you prefer? (might sound stupid)

Related:
Create New Tag

1/22/2014 6:02 PM

So about halflink chains? I am not sure what Guard Sprockets can fit them but what about for the other ones, like let's say you have some small "channels machined into the inside of the sprocket

Like in this Zack Gerber bike check picture (PHOTO CREDITS GO TO LORENZO GALLEGOS)
Photo

If you look where the chain is, you can see groves worn into the sprocket from the chain, wouldn't that be a good Idea for guard sprockets? pre-machined in grooves? does not seem like it would take away much strength either.

As for "what would you prefer", this is a weight TRANSITION question. Most people from what I have heard say I want to go LIGHTER but, not as much with I want to go HEAVIER

Let's say you want to learn more things with much more ease, you get your bike to the weight of how light you want it, and then overtime, you replace the super light parts with more burlier parts overtime, so instead of practically building up your skill level and strength with a "heavy" bike, I am talking 28+ pounds in modern terms. what happens is you possibly build your skill level up while GRADUALLY getting stronger as you go along, and IF YOU WANT TO, you can lighten your bike up again, and then your bike might have a lot more ease with trying things, and plus, the bike might be a little snappier too, although that is not what everyone wants.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

1/22/2014 6:06 PM

I don't think lorenzo took the photos. but anyways, i know the fit key guard and sunday knox are made with the guard a little farther from the teeth to allow halflinks to clear. that would make more sens then the grooves.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

1/22/2014 6:08 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

I don't think lorenzo took the photos. but anyways, i know the fit key guard and sunday knox are made with the guard a little farther from the teeth to allow halflinks to clear. that would make more sens then the grooves.

yeah I guess your right, it might cost a little more too I think, ahh well. it would look pretty cool in my opinion though

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

1/22/2014 6:09 PM

grooves = more time to machine = more money it would cost to buy it. What Broken said above though, if the guard was just a bit further from the teeth, that would be more ideal

|

1/22/2014 6:11 PM

i wonder why odyssey hasn't fixed the MDS to be halflink friendly.

|

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

1/22/2014 6:17 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

My guess would be..

A- They're working on releasing an updated version

B- Considering they don't make a half link chain, they probably don't want to so you might buy their chain as well

|

1/22/2014 6:21 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

My guess would be..

A- They're working on releasing an updated version

B- Considering they don't make a half link chain, they probably don't want to so you might buy their chain as well

A new MDS would be so rad. i thought about option B as well.

|

1/22/2014 6:49 PM

the sprocket I've been working on fixes this with a larger space between the teeth and the guard wall. extrusions for the crankarm allows the spindle spacing to not get fucked up the ass.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/22/2014 7:21 PM

Chain alignment is going to be a bitch if you don't have a thin cone or something. That's why the Odyssey BB only has one dust cover so you only use regular spacers on the drive side.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

1/23/2014 3:22 AM

Btw Odyssey IS working on a new MDS.

|

1/23/2014 9:45 AM

Photo
im happy with my og mds and i run my chain loose cause if i cut it a link my chain wont come off which mean i cant take off my back wheel and my wheel is like almost half a axle off my dropouts.
|

1/23/2014 11:13 AM

Subrosa Magnum will work with the Interlock V.2 & the Interlock Supreme Chain.

|

1/23/2014 3:36 PM

knox works with half link

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

1/23/2014 4:44 PM

i wouldnt trade my mds for anything lol.... half links work.. the only one that doesnt work is the shadow as far as i know. because i had the dk exo and it worked...

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!