Guard sprocket... run on the inside?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/29/2019 3:15 PM

I picked up a guard sprocket. mostly because my current sprocket is 6+ years old and 2 of the teeth were bent but I bent them back, but also because I want the added protection for crooked grinds since sometimes when I slip out of crooks I end up sliding across my sprocket/chain.

my question is, for crooks do you think it would be better to run the guard on the inside (ala Ian Schwartz) because I feel like when I slip out and hit the sprocket/chain, it's being hit on that side instead of the outside. I don't run a 4th peg so I'm not worried about slipping out of opposite feebles and hitting it, just for crooks.

|

7/29/2019 4:32 PM

Depends on your side you do crooks on and what side your drivetrain is on.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/29/2019 4:47 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Depends on your side you do crooks on and what side your drivetrain is on.

RHD and ride left pegs doing crooks with my back left/front right

|

7/29/2019 6:05 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

RHD and ride left pegs doing crooks with my back left/front right

On the inside should be better, if it doesn't mess up your chain line.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/29/2019 6:32 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

On the inside should be better, if it doesn't mess up your chain line.

yeah I'll have to make sure the chain line won't be off when I go to put it on, that was the other thing. I figured though I just needed reassurance, thanks!

|

7/29/2019 6:53 PM

Most modern frames barely clear a 28t let alone an inner guard. Hence why nobody bothers with them anymore.

But, yeah, inner guards are perfect for that if you've got the frame for it

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/29/2019 7:08 PM

welp never mind, just checked the chain line with it on the inside and it's way off. oh well, at least this will be a good future reference for someone who's going to bump it in 5 years to ask what guard sprocket they should get

|

7/29/2019 10:47 PM

I wanted to run a guard on the inside because it offers more protection for just about everything. But there’s no way you can get a decent chainline with it now. The amount of spacers just for the sprocket to clear the chain stay is ridiculous

|

7/29/2019 10:57 PM

.pegless. wrote:

I wanted to run a guard on the inside because it offers more protection for just about everything. But there’s no way you can get a decent chainline with it now. The amount of spacers just for the sprocket to clear the chain stay is ridiculous

The guard cleared my chain stay just fine, but the teeth were too far out of line from the driver. oh well, not a huuge deal

|