Gyro?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/19/2019 2:51 AM

Is there a way to get a gyro brake without having the tabs in your headset? I’ve run brakeless my whole life so I have no idea

|

10/19/2019 4:53 AM

You have to drill the holes and tap them, or have someone weld tabs on.

|

It’s all bmx

10/19/2019 9:37 AM

72Effie wrote:

Is there a way to get a gyro brake without having the tabs in your headset? I’ve run brakeless my whole life so I have no idea

With gyros I believe you'll always need a form of tab there. I could be wrong. I think KHE is the only company that had a frame with a internal gyro.

|

10/19/2019 11:29 AM

WiteMic wrote:

With gyros I believe you'll always need a form of tab there. I could be wrong. I think KHE is the only company that had a frame with a internal gyro.

I think so, but you also had to run their specific forks, so the system didn’t catch on too well.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

10/19/2019 11:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2019 4:07 AM

72Effie wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

I think so, but you also had to run their specific forks, so the system didn’t catch on too well.

Yeah, they were shit. Spare parts were basically impossible to find. It was called the affix system, with a slot in the headtube and forks. The brake cable went through the compression bolt and pulled a plate thing. Because the plate thing kind of floats, they were hard to make feel nice.

But yeah. You need gyro tabs. Unless your frame is old enough to have external cups

|

10/19/2019 12:21 PM

Can't lie. When i saw the shit in Ride, I wanted it. Lol. To be that young and dumb again.

|

10/19/2019 4:45 PM

GT and Free Agent both made bikes with the Affix system in the last couple of years. Looks like Free Agent still makes a bike that uses it.

|

10/21/2019 8:51 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Has nothing to do with the Fork really.

Its the Headset and Head Tube.

With the older style headset and tube, you could swap the headset cups and the new ones had the tabs or brackets for the brake cables.

I've seen very few gyros actually fail. When they did, there are rebuild or parts kits available..

You can get them from Odyssey
https://shop.odysseybmx.com/collections/odyssey-gyros

or many online suppliers.

Most of the issues I saw with them were kids that did not know how to adjust them and their brakes correctly..
They could be a bit finicky at times.

I wished more bikes still came with them or we're at least compatible, so they could be added if the rider wanted....

|

10/21/2019 8:59 AM

WiteMic wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

smullen wrote:

Has nothing to do with the Fork really.

Its the Headset and Head Tube.

With the older style headset and tube, you could swap the headset cups and the new ones had the tabs or brackets for the brake cables.

I've seen very few gyros actually fail. When they did, there are rebuild or parts kits available..

You can get them from Odyssey
https://shop.odysseybmx.com/collections/odyssey-gyros

or many online suppliers.

Most of the issues I saw with them were kids that did not know how to adjust them and their brakes correctly..
They could be a bit finicky at times.

I wished more bikes still came with them or we're at least compatible, so they could be added if the rider wanted....

He/we were talking about the khe affix system.

And it’s not to do with the cups themselves with the old ones. You’d tap the cup out, put the plate on, then tap the cup back in.

Loads of bikes/frames come with tabs. Not putting a gyro on is a way to save manufacturing costs. And most kids take em off anyway. It’s an extra just like pegs really. Although if someone made a good complete with a gyro I’m sure it would be popular. Maybe with an extra option of brake mounts on the forks and a decent front brake too

|

10/21/2019 10:25 AM

.pegless. wrote:

He/we were talking about the khe affix system.

And it’s not to do with the cups themselves with the old ones. You’d tap the cup out, put the plate on, then tap the cup back in.

Loads of bikes/frames come with tabs. Not putting a gyro on is a way to save manufacturing costs. And most kids take em off anyway. It’s an extra just like pegs really. Although if someone made a good complete with a gyro I’m sure it would be popular. Maybe with an extra option of brake mounts on the forks and a decent front brake too

Yeah. This is the Affix system, essentially a single-cable setup for a gyro.

Photo

It serves the same purpose as a gyro, but the concept is different.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

10/21/2019 11:36 AM

I wish there was an internal solution to a brake system. I hit my detangler and tabs pretty often and break the barrel adjusters. Also one of my Shadow Sano detanglers doesnt rotate freely because I smashed it on a rail.

Even this affix system doesnt protect all of the components. I wish there was a routing option to go through your top tube somehow. Unfortunately there isn't a ton of market for them during this time since everyone is adopting the way of the brakeless.

I could honestly run a straight cable without much fuss since I dont do many barspin/tailwhip variations but I much prefer the limitless rotation and the tucked cables between the crossbar rather than out front of the bike with the cable slappin around. Lol

|

10/21/2019 7:40 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I wish there was an internal solution to a brake system. I hit my detangler and tabs pretty often and break the barrel adjusters. Also one of my Shadow Sano detanglers doesnt rotate freely because I smashed it on a rail.

Even this affix system doesnt protect all of the components. I wish there was a routing option to go through your top tube somehow. Unfortunately there isn't a ton of market for them during this time since everyone is adopting the way of the brakeless.

I could honestly run a straight cable without much fuss since I dont do many barspin/tailwhip variations but I much prefer the limitless rotation and the tucked cables between the crossbar rather than out front of the bike with the cable slappin around. Lol

If you run dual lower cables you could drill small holes in your top tube and run your cables inside straight to the seat tube maybe?

|

It’s all bmx

10/30/2019 4:08 PM

You need one of these

|

10/31/2019 3:59 AM

JamieBrown wrote:

You need one of these

ONLY works on frames with press in headset cups. *MOST* modern frames come with integrated headsets, and that kid unfortunately will not work as there is no cup to hold the bottom plate piece down.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/31/2019 10:29 AM

If none of the ^above methods work, just run a long straight cable, or no brakes at all smile.

STRAIGHT CABLE GANG

|