HELP, Got a flat and the brakes have broken again

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2017 10:59 AM

So today I caused a jump and got a flat. The tubes ripped but that's not a problem. When I was riding back I'd done the 'hack' where you get the tire and put it around the rim so u can ride it home. It was working fine for about 10 mins until I heard and dinging sound. My brakes had broken but I don't know what's happened. A cable seems to have disconected from one of the arms. Couldn't find any broken pieces. Please help me figure out what's happened. Pictures of the brakes:
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

An Indian on a small bike

4/4/2017 11:10 AM

Just put that end of the cable back into the brake arm. It's held in the brake by virtue of its shape.

|

4/4/2017 11:13 AM

GMGuinn wrote:

Just put that end of the cable back into the brake arm. It's held in the brake by virtue of its shape.

That's a relief. So no broken parts?

|

4/4/2017 11:24 AM

Yeah why don't you try connecting that cable that's hanging off?

|

4/4/2017 11:24 AM

Not that I can tell. The straddle cable looks intact, you still have the hanger, and the brake arm in question looks in order.

|

4/4/2017 11:54 AM

GMGuinn wrote:

Not that I can tell. The straddle cable looks intact, you still have the hanger, and the brake arm in question looks in order. ...more

I connected the cable but when I pull the brake hard it comes off again

|

4/4/2017 12:22 PM

gonna need a new bike.... go ask mommy and daddy to get you a new one

|

4/4/2017 12:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2017 12:32 PM

You guys are brutal.. recconect the hanging cable into the cup. Now adjust the two collars on the brake handle where the cable connect or pull the center cable tighter through the brake u hanger and tighten. Take it to a shop and have them show you as they adjust it so you understand

|

4/4/2017 12:37 PM

Keeps falling out again when I pull the lever

|

4/4/2017 12:38 PM

JRsmoothee wrote:

gonna need a new bike.... go ask mommy and daddy to get you a new one

Clueless but not that clueless. And I bought this myself actually...

|

4/4/2017 12:39 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

You guys are brutal.. recconect the hanging cable into the cup. Now adjust the two collars on the brake handle where the cable ...more

Okay I will try that. Thanks

|

4/4/2017 12:56 PM

That tire over rim "hack" is terrible, never do that. You damage the rim and inner tire.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/4/2017 12:56 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

You guys are brutal.. recconect the hanging cable into the cup. Now adjust the two collars on the brake handle where the cable ...more

Ved_goswami wrote:

If the system is under even just a little tension, that end of the cable should not come out. Pulling the lever puts more tension in the system, which tells me that if the cable end is coming out, it's either not seated correctly, or something else is amiss.

The pic below isn't your brake, but it's similar enough. Does your system look like this, the right side of the straddle cable specifically?

[LINK TO IMAGE]

If no, can you post some pics of everything put back together?

|

4/4/2017 1:05 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Ved_goswami wrote:

GMGuinn wrote:

If the system is under even just a little tension, that end of the cable should not come out. Pulling the lever puts more ...more

Looks like this but still comes loose Photo

|

4/4/2017 1:05 PM

readybmxer wrote:

That tire over rim "hack" is terrible, never do that. You damage the rim and inner tire.

Don't think I've damaged them but won't do that again for sure

|

4/4/2017 1:35 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

When I tighten it, it just makes the cable fall out of the cup with an even smaller movement of the lever

|

4/4/2017 1:39 PM

Here watch some videos its not that hard you just need to understand whats happening

|

4/4/2017 1:45 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Here watch some videos its not that hard you just need to understand whats happening

I thought it was the cables, not the springs

|

4/4/2017 3:14 PM

Is the wheel on the bike when you pull the lever? In all of your pics it is not.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/4/2017 3:26 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Is the wheel on the bike when you pull the lever? In all of your pics it is not.

No I took the wheel off cos it has a flat. Getting new tube tomorrow I think

|

4/4/2017 4:24 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Ved_goswami wrote:

That's why it is falling off. You can pull a LOT farther than the brake would normally go with a wheel.

When your wheel is on, there should be no issues.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/4/2017 4:57 PM

Ved_goswami wrote:

It's not very visible damage, that's why it's risky. But yeah, stay away from it and you're good!

|

@scootereyn

4/5/2017 5:30 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Beat me to it! That's why I scan the comments before saying something. Yes without the wheel on the bike the calipers close a lot more than they normally do. Put the wheel back on and adjust the straddle cable and try again

|

4/5/2017 2:15 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Ved_goswami wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

That's why it is falling off. You can pull a LOT farther than the brake would normally go with a wheel.

When your wheel is ...more

Dude I face palmed so hard when I read ur comment and realised my mistake haha. That sorted it. Got a new tube and am ready to go again. Thanks guys.

|

4/5/2017 2:16 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

seanthemechanic wrote:

Beat me to it! That's why I scan the comments before saying something. Yes without the wheel on the bike the calipers close a ...more

Stupid mistake on my part *huge facepalm*

|

4/5/2017 2:17 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Ved_goswami wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

It's not very visible damage, that's why it's risky. But yeah, stay away from it and you're good!

Was the first time doing it so hopefully no damage. What kind of damage are we talking if it's not visible?

|

4/5/2017 3:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2017 3:23 PM

Ved_goswami wrote:

Was the first time doing it so hopefully no damage. What kind of damage are we talking if it's not visible?

Weakens the inner sidewalks of the tire, and the rim isn't supported by anything but the tire, so I think you get the idea. The slightest imperfection in the ground can ruin everything.

Not all at once, of course. Should you do this multiple times, then it's a bit worse, so it's best to not do it, that's all.

|

@scootereyn