Half link or Full link?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/14/2017 4:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/14/2017 4:45 PM

I'd like to close this gap as much as I could. I know if I take the half link out it will close the gap some, but I don't really know how much. I don't know if a full link would be too much taken out, so my gut is saying take the half. Would you take the half or a full to close this gap.? The chain is a little loose currently. Thanks.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

7/14/2017 5:19 PM

How long is your chainstays, and what is your gear ratio? Looks like you could remove a full link to me. A full link will be a half inch, a half would be a 1/4. Just measure it.

|

7/14/2017 5:20 PM

Take the half if you need more then you know the full

|

Ride till you die

7/14/2017 6:57 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

How long is your chainstays, and what is your gear ratio? Looks like you could remove a full link to me. A full link will be a ...more

Slammed is 13" and the gearing is 25/9. Looking at the chain it looks like I would have to remove two links to get another male/female match up, but pulling the half link would match up fine. I agree with you that a full link might be best as the chain is loose now and I have room but removing one link seems to necessitate removing two actually with a male/female chain, but I am new to chain breaking/sizing obviously. Thanks for the help.

|

7/14/2017 8:30 PM

Get a full link with one half link. Bam, none of the cons of half links with all the adjustability

|

7/14/2017 8:58 PM

If your chainstays starts at 13" your wheel is around 13.4", remove one half link and it will be perfect. Your wheel will be around 13.15" / 13.2, not enough room to remove a full link.

|

7/14/2017 9:00 PM

If your chainstays starts at 13" your wheel is around 13.4", remove one half link and it will be perfect. Your wheel will be around 13.15" / 13.2, not enough royom to remove a full link.

|

7/14/2017 11:29 PM

I'd say it looks a little tight to remove even just a half link. Try it. Or, get a slightly bigger sprocket (if you've got 25, get a 26 or 27. 28 will put your wheel in pretty much the same place).

Or leave it where it is. Short chainstays suck

|

7/14/2017 11:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/14/2017 11:43 PM

25/9 would put it at 13.5 without the stretch. So you can remove a full link, and you will be right at 13. That's without any stretch, so you should be more around 13.10. removing a full link means 2 links btw.
If you don't believe me Google gear ratios, and chain legnth. I've already figured this out myself. I need a half link to run my chainstays slammed at 13.5. You need a half link to run yours slammed at 13, or you could take out your half link and run it at 13.25. that's what I would do. Up to you. full link (2 links)= half inch. Half link(one link)= a quarter inch.

|

7/15/2017 12:09 AM

I would NOT remove a full link . If you have to question it , it's probably better to remove a halflink then have the chain too short and deal with the pain of putting the link on again .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/15/2017 1:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2017 4:46 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I would NOT remove a full link . If you have to question it , it's probably better to remove a halflink then have the chain ...more

Double post.

|

7/15/2017 1:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2017 1:21 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I would NOT remove a full link . If you have to question it , it's probably better to remove a halflink then have the chain ...more

If you do the math, it works. He has plenty of space right now. A link will bring it half an inch closer, and it looks like he has more than half an inch to spare. I'd say like .6 by the looks of it, maybe more. His chain is already stretched so it will fit. I personally think 13 is too short, and would only remove a half link, but if he wants to, there's room to remove a full link. That's why frames are made at 13", 13.25, 13.5, specifically so you can slam them with 25/9 gearing.

|

7/15/2017 2:35 AM

There is not enough room to remove a full link there. My dropouts are longer than that and I've only got half a link of adjustment. Hence I've played with different sprocket sizes. On mine, with 25 or 28 the axle sits about half way, with 27 i can have it almost slammed or at the end of the dropouts.

|

7/15/2017 4:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2017 5:00 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

There is not enough room to remove a full link there. My dropouts are longer than that and I've only got half a link of ...more

Maybe some frames measure from the ends of the dropouts, and others measure from the middle of the axle? My frame slams perfect at 13.5 with just barely a little room for adjustment, and if it was a half inch shorter, it would slam at 13, but I'm sure all frames aren't exact. If you measure from the end of the axle, not the middle, then you'll know for sure if it will fit or not. Anything over .5 should be good.

Here

IDEAL GEARINGS>
9T
28/9: 13.125 W/ Half Link
27/9: 13.25 W/ Half Link
27/9: 13.00 W/Out Half Link
25/9: 13.00 W/ Half Link
25/9: 13.25 W/Out Half Link
8T
23/8: 13.125 W/Out Half Link
25/8: 13.125 W/ Half Link
26/8: 13.00 W/ Half Link
26/8: 13.25 W/Out Half Link

Found this on vital if you Google what I said earlier.

|

7/15/2017 4:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2017 4:56 AM

Have you tried loosening your axle nuts and folding the chain over itself to see about how it would sit in your dropouts?

(essentially make a Z with a link or so in your chain)

That way you don't have to ask online with people giving multiple opinion-based answers. See if it will work without doing any chain link changing first, if so, try it or don't. It is YOUR bike, and our OPINIONS should not really matter when it comes to your setup UNLESS it pertains to strength or parts/compatibility (which are not opinions).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/15/2017 8:10 AM

I have never had any issues with 1/2 link chains.

That said, you can always order 2 1/2 links and just put them on your current chain. Just cut the chain to where you need it with a chain breaker. Add the 2 1/2 links and you are set. I would use the chart to sure what you need. But, remember that by adding 2 1/2 links it's 1/4th inches each. So, when you see your going to need 1/2 inch...you know 2 1/2 links will equal that. You can pick them up for.99 each from many online shops. If your current chain is new (1-2months) and is only loose, I wouldn't buy a new chain unless you want. A 2 month old chain has plenty of life in it.

|

7/15/2017 10:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2017 11:12 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

That said, you can always order 2 1/2 links and just put them on your ...more

2 half links is the same thing as a full link. There's no reason to use 2. You only really need one half link, and they are equal to 1/4 inch each, if you look at the chart. I posted this earlier, but 1 half link equals 1/4 inch, a full link equals 1/2 inch. Says so in the chart above too.

|

7/15/2017 11:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2017 12:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

There is not enough room to remove a full link there. My dropouts are longer than that and I've only got half a link of ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

Maybe some frames measure from the ends of the dropouts, and others measure from the middle of the axle? My frame slams ...more

That's literally just found information. With different sized sprockets more/less chain is on the sprocket, throwing those numbers out. My wheel sits pretty much exactly at 13.5 (centre to centre) and there is no way I could add or remove a half link and it still fit in the dropouts. As I said before, I've tried combinations of different sized sprockets with/without a half link. My dropouts are 1 1/4 long, end to end, and half a link of adjustment is all that'll fit. Half a link is the difference between being slammed or at the back (bearing in mind a 14mm axle) there simply isn't enough room to take more than half a link out

Luckily, my bike is dialled so I don't need to worry about playing with half links

Edit: a half link equals 1/2", not a quarter. If you imagine the chain is just a straight single line from the centre of the axle to the centre of the bb, and remove 1/2", the axle will move 1/2" closer. It's exactly the same. If you remove half a link, the wheel will move 1/2" inward, not 1/4"

|

7/15/2017 3:01 PM

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. This is my first time breaking/sizing a chain so al of this is new but I'm slowly learning. I removed the half link and that worked. I'm not fully slammed- wasn't looking to be but pulling the half-link took just about all of the gap out. I'll ride it a bit and see what happens once the chain stretches. Thanks again everyone!

|

7/15/2017 8:08 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

That's literally just found information. With different sized sprockets more/less chain is on the sprocket, throwing those ...more

Just to clarify.. if you shorten your chain length by 1/2" it will shorten your chain stay length 1/4". Because the chain effectively doubles back on itself, its similar to measuring the circumference of a circle as opposed to the diameter.. I hope that makes sense! Photo

|

7/15/2017 8:09 PM

OP glad you worked it out wink

|

7/16/2017 1:28 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Maybe some frames measure from the ends of the dropouts, and others measure from the middle of the axle? My frame slams ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

That's literally just found information. With different sized sprockets more/less chain is on the sprocket, throwing those ...more

jw836 wrote:

Just to clarify.. if you shorten your chain length by 1/2" it will shorten your chain stay length 1/4". Because the chain ...more

What he said. You have to factor in the top and the bottom of the chain. If you take a half inch from the top, it ends up equal to taking a 1/4 from both sides. If that makes any sense. Hard to explain.

|

7/18/2017 5:10 PM

Here's a pic with the half link removed. Thanks again for all the help.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

7/26/2018 7:14 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

That said, you can always order 2 1/2 links and just put them on your ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

2 half links is the same thing as a full link. There's no reason to use 2. You only really need one half link, and they are ...more

I know this thread is old but you can't remove just 1 link in a chain that's why he said 2 half links unless I'm missing something say you already have one halflink in your chain their is No combination to just make it another half link longer using a normal chain link because you will always have to remove a inner and outer pin

|

I believe in hub guard protection

7/27/2018 2:13 AM

threesomemist wrote:

I know this thread is old but you can't remove just 1 link in a chain that's why he said 2 half links unless I'm missing ...more

Go home, you're drunk.

|

7/27/2018 6:03 AM

Go drunk, you're home.

|