Half link vs full link chain... Pls help

Related:
Create New Tag

4/3/2011 10:15 AM

I just switched all my bikes over to half link and I am now having problems with smoothness on the full rotation of a sprocket. I dont know how to explain it other then by saying that the rotation is very rough and loud. Is there more that should be done when switching to half link or is this a typical problem that comes with the switch

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."

4/3/2011 10:17 AM

It's a shadow chain, isn't it?

|

4/3/2011 10:23 AM

I like full link chains......just add a single half link if you need to dial it in.

|

Legit

Oscar5788,Scramhype,SuperstarDK,Howlerfbm,AlexDanielP,KilledGlamour,notorious NIG,KYMIKE

4/3/2011 10:25 AM

The chain is a pintle chain freestyle

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."

4/3/2011 10:29 AM

When I was useing full like kmc 710 sl there was no issue and it was so smooth with no noise. Now with these half links it feels like there are ball bearings in between the links or something

|

4/3/2011 10:52 AM

Dannykobra wrote:

When I was useing full like kmc 710 sl there was no issue and it was so smooth with no noise. Now with these half links it feels like there are ball bearings in between the links or something

its too tight, its just the links moving around, my friend got one and it does the same thing

|

KingsRideShop FTW
cupovjoe wrote: I WAS TALKING ABOUT TACOS YOU SICK FUCK

4/3/2011 10:54 AM

Dannykobra wrote:

13esim wrote:

its too tight, its just the links moving around, my friend got one and it does the same thing

I loosend off the tension because I thought the same thing but there was no change, if I go any looser the chain hops off the sprocket

|

4/3/2011 11:00 AM

Maybe it was too loose to begin with...

|

FTW!

I'm cooler than a polar bear's toes.

4/3/2011 11:14 AM

Dannykobra wrote:

I loosend off the tension because I thought the same thing but there was no change, if I go any looser the chain hops off the sprocket

the links will move around and they will pop when they engage with the sprocket

|

KingsRideShop FTW
cupovjoe wrote: I WAS TALKING ABOUT TACOS YOU SICK FUCK

4/3/2011 11:25 AM

Haha I would just slap the 710 back on unless you already snapped it.

|

4/3/2011 11:43 AM

Based on what im reading here, I think im gonna switch back to a full link

|

4/3/2011 11:52 AM

Dannykobra wrote:

i think you might have put it upside down man, there directional unlike fullink chains, and i put mine on upside down and it didnt work well and fucking shaved the teeth on my sprocket, and made hella noise

|

when im on my bike, none of life's bullshit phazes me. my mind is free
sub to me on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/devonisadirtygirl?feature=mhum
follow me on twitter and ill follow back! @thedevonrussell

4/3/2011 11:55 AM

NOOB ALERT
which is better and why?

|

4/3/2011 12:03 PM

Dannykobra wrote:

Based on what im reading here, I think im gonna switch back to a full link

I run a Nitrous half link and have never had a problem with it. Half links are good for people who are trying to "slam: the rear end. If you don't care where your wheel sits, run a full link. If you're looking for a half link that WON'T eat up you r sprocket or driver, try a Nitrous. I just re-read your post. It sounds like you have an old sprocket? IF you do... After a while, chains stretch with use. So your old stretched chain wore the sprocket and "self machined" the gaps a little bigger. So they should have ft really good together. Does that make sense? When you put on a new chain it is actually smaller in length since everything is new and tight. Since the new chain wants to sit down in the hole that the old chain was sitting in, it will grind away the teeth until it finds a perfect fit together. DOes any of that make sense? Try a new or newer sprocket and see what happens.

|

4/3/2011 12:04 PM

devonheartsbmx wrote:

i think you might have put it upside down man, there directional unlike fullink chains, and i put mine on upside down and it didnt work well and fucking shaved the teeth on my sprocket, and made hella noise

This might also be the problem.

|

4/3/2011 12:05 PM

NewSkoolRider wrote:

NOOB ALERT
which is better and why?

personal preference. half links are better for small drivetrains like an 8 or 9 and they are easier to dial in the length to fit the frame. full links can snap more easily (especially when running on an 8 or 9T) and are harder to get to the right length, and the links are different which i dont like. personally ill take a half link over a full link but not shadow, those kinda suck

|

ride dem bikes kids

REFS: wtpfit

4/3/2011 12:20 PM

just get the odyssey bluebird. strong and cheap

|

4/3/2011 12:50 PM

This is an "extreme" case. One of the kids out here rode one of the half-links mentioned on this link (neither Eastern or Nitrous). By the time he figured out what was going on, he already needed a new sprocket. So he decided to run it till the wheels feel off , and this is the end result. You can see how a chain rubs a particular pattern into the sprocket. If you use a new chain with an old sprocket you are almost guaranteed to have some sort of issue. Same goes for new sprocket with an old chain.

Photo

|