Halflink chain hard to spin

Related:
Create New Tag

8/25/2017 1:00 PM

Whether i tighten my chain or not, whenever i spin the cranks back or forth there seems to be a spot whee it gets hard to spin. May it be my sprocket or the way the chain was installed?

|

Yeeee

8/25/2017 1:40 PM

I had, and still have this issue until this day.

I reckon is because of the cheap cranks (xpousure infinity) but the issue is that the sprocket is at an angle to the frame and not parallel, thus when you spin it it's like an elliptical cone, so you'll get that tight spot where the chain is hard to spin

Or maybe sprocket and driver aren't properly aligned

I even had the problem where the wheel was at an angle to the frame, having play in the dropouts ... or it can be a combination of all of these problems

The solution is not very elegant...you need to find the tight spot and adjust your chain tightness so that is manageable ....but you'll get a very loose chain in all other spots

|

8/25/2017 2:06 PM

If your sprocket is a cheap stamped one it is likely out of round (found usually on cheaper completes).

Your sprocket could be damaged, not sitting on your spindle correctly, bent cranks, OR when it was installed if you tightened the bolt that threads into the crank arm, THEN put the arm on the spindle it can sit crooked.

Loosen the bolt that threads into your crank arm with your chain off, make sure the bolt that threads the arm into the spindle is tight, then tighten the crank arm bolt again. Might help.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2017 4:13 PM

You may need to replace you chain or sprocket.... I had the same issue where my chain would be tight on one spot and loose on another so I replaced to the chain and it stopped... it could be that your sprocket is bent so you may need a new sprocket....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/25/2017 4:31 PM

Take your chain off your cranks and then spin the arms-IF your sprocket does NOT wobble side to side OR up and down, it is likely your chain OR could be a worn driver or driver bearing allowing the driver to wobble.

Then check your driver and driver bearing by hand-spin it and if it wobbles-you found your source-check the bearings to see if they are toast or not.

My money is on the sprocket not being lined up or bent. Or the chain is unevenly stretched-which is common with half links-especially when reasonably new.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/30/2017 3:15 PM

thanks everyone turns out it was a bent sprocket

|

Yeeee