Handle bar upsweep and backsweep

Related:
Create New Tag

6/18/2017 9:25 AM

I am a new bmx rider and don't know what bars I should get. I ride street and park and wanted to know what is just a normal upsweep and backsweep. I don't want anything crazy just like a normal pair of bars.

|

6/18/2017 9:51 AM

Average is about 2 degree up and 12 back. It's personal preference though, I prefer more upsweep (logically thinking, if you hold your arms straight out in front of you and clench your fists, your hands are at an angle)

|

6/18/2017 10:17 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Average is about 2 degree up and 12 back. It's personal preference though, I prefer more upsweep (logically thinking, if you ...more

So what do you recommend should I go with more than a 2 degree? And I'll go with a 12 backsweep

|

6/18/2017 10:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2017 10:53 AM

100% personnal so what I like might be what you hate.
I tried many combinations over my years of riding like... 12°/2°, 10°/3°, 11°/2°, and more recently 13°/1°.

For backsweep
10° feels pretty straight
11° is average, more on the straight side
12° and 13° is more "comfortable", 13 might be a bit too much.

For upsweep
3° and more feels uncomfortable (for my wrists at least) and give more side to side reactivity in the handling of the bike.
2° is average
1° feels nearly flat.

My current bar is 13°/1° and the 1° upsweep feels so good, I'll probably never get anything else.
For the 13° backsweep I sometimes love it sometimes hate it because I feel like my wrists would love something more straight.
My perfect bars would be 1° upsweep and 12° or 11° backsweep

Best thing to do is to try as many bike as you can and find out what you like the most.

|

6/18/2017 11:03 AM

Just pick one with the rise and width you like, you'll get accustomed to them regardless of upsweep, most likely.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

6/18/2017 12:46 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Just pick one with the rise and width you like, you'll get accustomed to them regardless of upsweep, most likely.

Not really, we can get used to anything but up and backsweep play a big role in the riding comfort.

Plus height can always be adjusted with spacers and width is pretty standard these days, bars come wide and you can cut them if it's too much.

|

6/18/2017 1:10 PM

First you must ask do I want 2 piece or 4 piece handle bars.

|

6/18/2017 2:10 PM

xxx_bmx wrote:

First you must ask do I want 2 piece or 4 piece handle bars.

No, because makes no difference in how the bars feel.

For me, the more upsweep the better. Maybe it's impacted by bar height. As I like low bars, I'm more over the front of my bike most of the time. So my hands naturally sit at a different angle than if the bars were higher. I'm toying with the idea of getting some 4 up 12 back made. Bars seem to be getting less upsweep now :/

|

6/18/2017 2:17 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

No, because makes no difference in how the bars feel.

For me, the more upsweep the better. Maybe it's impacted by bar ...more

Get a Cult Cuatro, 4° up, 12° back and I know you like low bars, it comes in 8.65".
4 piece tho, I personnaly don't like the look.

|

6/18/2017 3:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2017 3:19 PM

Just go with a 2° 12°. You don't really have to worry about backsweep. Seems like 90% of bars are 12°. It is still something to consider, but that should tell thats what most everyone is riding. You will adjust to whatever you get. If you don't know what you like, it makes sense to start right in the middle. I hated my rant nsixty bars, with 1° up 12° back. They hurt my wrists so bad. Could be because they are 4-piece? I just got some demolition rig bars with 2° up 12° back, and I love them so much. They feel amazing. It's crazy how 1 degree made all the difference. I also think the rants we're just too stiff. I love the look of 4 piece, but I have to choose function over form unfortunately. Ill keep the 4 pc on my mid school cruiser. but that's the last set I'll buy. At least they were cheap.

|

6/18/2017 3:50 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Just go with a 2 12. You don't really have to worry about backsweep. Seems like 90% of bars are 12. It is still something to ...more

Thanks thats what I'll go with

|

6/18/2017 3:51 PM

Francky wrote:

I tried many combinations over my years of riding like... 12/2, 10/3, 11 ...more

Thanks man that helped

|

6/18/2017 6:26 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Just go with a 2 12. You don't really have to worry about backsweep. Seems like 90% of bars are 12. It is still something to ...more

yeah. Until I got on this site, i just rode with whatever handle bars were on the bike. I adjusted to them. I never thought about it. Probably also b/c I am not a pro...but also b/c I only ever noticed a huge difference with height...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/19/2017 5:45 AM

lol I tried riding regular bars and the backsweep was really annoying......6' back 4 up feels awesome

|

It’s all bmx

8/24/2017 5:11 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

I got some rig bars the other day. Just put them on my bike. I haven't ridden them yet but they look huge compared to my old bars. I'm going to go for little ride and try them out.

|

8/24/2017 10:15 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I got some rig bars the other day. Just put them on my bike. I haven't ridden them yet but they look huge compared to my old ...more

Although not extraordinarily old, this thread is still kinda far back...

|

@scootereyn

8/25/2017 1:42 AM

2 months and 6 days? That's far back? FFS.

|

8/25/2017 2:27 AM

Not far back, kinda far back.

Plus, he already bought the bars he wanted.

|

@scootereyn

8/25/2017 5:29 AM

Yeah, you probably should have just started a new thread, since it's not really even on topic. I could care less myself, but you know how it is.
I still love my rig bars. They are perfect for me. Great, solid bars. Not too stiff, not to much flex, just right.

|

8/25/2017 11:33 AM

The Mirra Pros back in the day had 0 degree backsweep. Probably my favorite Bars I've ever had.
I generally like 10 backsweep because I feel like I can get more leverage on the bars and also can have them more parallel with my fork. I've never really noticed any difference with the amount of upsweep.
I'm currently running Odyssey Boss Bars with 12 backsweep. They're awesome Bars, but will end up switching them, out soon.

|

8/25/2017 11:05 PM

Francky wrote:

I tried many combinations over my years of riding like... 12/2, 10/3, 11 ...more

Pretty much all this. I like about 11 degrees backsweep, and about 2 to 5 degrees upsweep

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom