Handlebar Clamp Holder

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2018 6:18 AM

I'm in the market for a new stem. Also, I'm bored at work.

Currently working with this dinosaur...

(polished)
Photo

What are you guys running?

|

9/11/2018 6:26 AM

I had that Merritt Inagural stem for a bit, its a cool stem!

I ride a Fit Hi-Top V2 at the moment...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/11/2018 6:31 AM

I'm thinking I don't need anything with much rise. I have 9" bars. I don't know...unsure

I like a few with the extra rise on them though. Just not sure if I need or want it. Maybe I should to try new things out?

Was looking at the Meritt MkII, Animal and FBM stems...

|

9/11/2018 7:13 AM

Went from the old Animal MR Topload to the new Animal Inverse.

Both are great!

|

IG: @_almost_crook

9/11/2018 7:19 AM

I like the inverse, it looks good. I usually go polished, so my bars won't slip. Considering going black though...

|

9/11/2018 7:41 AM

No issues with slipping bars.
And I ride chicago, which makes the bar more likely to slip I guess.

|

IG: @_almost_crook

9/11/2018 7:44 AM

FBM PMA. Frontload.

|





9/11/2018 7:47 AM

FBM is in the running but not a front load. tongue

|

9/11/2018 7:58 AM

It's all about that new stem from The Grey- Perfect reach, Perfect Rise, Flip it, Twist it, Bop it!

|

9/11/2018 8:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2018 8:02 AM

I dig interesting finishes on stems. Currently going between Bronze Odyssey Tommy Dugan Front Load, and a nickel finish Madera Unity stem.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/11/2018 8:04 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

It's all about that new stem from The Grey- Perfect reach, Perfect Rise, Flip it, Twist it, Bop it!

This, I'm saving my money for one of those

|

9/11/2018 8:18 AM

Currently running a Merritt Justin care

|

Hmmm

9/11/2018 8:22 AM

Awwwww! Thanks guys smile
Still haven't had the 3d image. My guy is dragging his heels as I'm real keen to get them done.

It's essentially the animal inverse. But 50mm reach. Another flippable stem is the relic elect which is 52mm reach. The fly central stem is aight, looks a little odd if you like that kind of thing, it has a little more rise at 14mm. I don't think any of them come with an interesting finish though.
I had an fbm pma topload with 9" bars. I ended up flipping it because it was too high.

|

9/11/2018 8:30 AM

Rabbe wrote:

This, I'm saving my money for one of those

I'm gonna buy one of those and then put pegs on it.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/11/2018 8:52 AM

dead goon wrote:

I like the inverse, it looks good. I usually go polished, so my bars won't slip. Considering going black though...

So your bars wont slip? Has that been an actual problem for you?

Majority of stems, including "polished" ones, are anodized. To my knowledge, anodizing is kinda like dying the Aluminum, as opposed to adding a layer of paint on top of it.

Even polished parts will usually come with a clear or silver anodize on them for protection from corrosion.

What I'm getting at is; The color of the stem should not affect how well it grips your handlebars.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/11/2018 8:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2018 9:08 AM

Sunday freeze. Cheap, works, and looks good.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

9/11/2018 9:06 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Sunday freeze. Cheap, works, and looks good.

Pretty much the same thing as the Fit Hi-Top V2. Both are cheap and clamp GOOD! Mine hasnt really ever slipped...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/11/2018 9:11 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Sunday freeze. Cheap, works, and looks good.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Pretty much the same thing as the Fit Hi-Top V2. Both are cheap and clamp GOOD! Mine hasnt really ever slipped...

Not trying to hate, but both of those stems are made from Cast Aluminum which is far inferior to forged/cnc'd Aluminum as far as durability goes.

They are also one of very few stems that are disregarded in my previous comment, because they are powdercoated instead of anodized, which absolutely could cause issues with the handlebars slipping.

Going from a CNC'd Merritt stem to either of those options would be a huge downgrade ?

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/11/2018 9:21 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not trying to hate, but both of those stems are made from Cast Aluminum which is far inferior to forged/cnc'd Aluminum as far as durability goes.

They are also one of very few stems that are disregarded in my previous comment, because they are powdercoated instead of anodized, which absolutely could cause issues with the handlebars slipping.

Going from a CNC'd Merritt stem to either of those options would be a huge downgrade ?

Yeah i know its cast. But i took a massive crash directly to the front end that broke my wrist, and the stem didn't break sooooooooo yeahlaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/11/2018 9:26 AM

I dont think many people break stems lol.

Season le merk 2 in 35mm flipped

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/11/2018 9:29 AM

i have the tomohawk stem, got it from odysseys website for like 20 bucks lol

|

It’s all bmx

9/11/2018 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2018 9:47 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Pretty much the same thing as the Fit Hi-Top V2. Both are cheap and clamp GOOD! Mine hasnt really ever slipped...

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not trying to hate, but both of those stems are made from Cast Aluminum which is far inferior to forged/cnc'd Aluminum as far as durability goes.

They are also one of very few stems that are disregarded in my previous comment, because they are powdercoated instead of anodized, which absolutely could cause issues with the handlebars slipping.

Going from a CNC'd Merritt stem to either of those options would be a huge downgrade ?

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah i know its cast. But i took a massive crash directly to the front end that broke my wrist, and the stem didn't break sooooooooo yeahlaughing

Not saying its total garbage that will implode from the slightest inconvenience, but I have personally seen at least 5 broken Freeze stems in my local community alone, none of which were rode for all that long (maybe a year tops.) All of them cracked at the bolt holes on either the faceplate or the steerer clamp (the Fit kinda solves this issue with a Forged faceplate.)

They would be a good option for someone who can't afford any better, or maybe someone who only plans on cruising, but I'm just making the point that OP would be better off keeping the stem he has than downgrading to a substantially weaker stem.

Also, Forged stems are significantly stronger and I know theres a few that are only $40-45. Plenty of Forged and CNC-machined stems go on sale for sub-$40 as well. Why settle for lesser quality for the same price?

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/11/2018 9:53 AM

I run the inverse right now, it’s great. I would also run an fbm stem with no worries. Almost no aftermarket stem if going to be slipping on you these days. Just get something without too many cut-outs and solid bolts. Hollow stem bolts will snap and fuck you up.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/11/2018 9:55 AM

Just keep in mind that $10-20 could prevent stuff like this. Broken bike parts can cause severe injuries! Get something made to last (& retire it after a couple years or so.)Photo

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/11/2018 10:09 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not saying its total garbage that will implode from the slightest inconvenience, but I have personally seen at least 5 broken Freeze stems in my local community alone, none of which were rode for all that long (maybe a year tops.) All of them cracked at the bolt holes on either the faceplate or the steerer clamp (the Fit kinda solves this issue with a Forged faceplate.)

They would be a good option for someone who can't afford any better, or maybe someone who only plans on cruising, but I'm just making the point that OP would be better off keeping the stem he has than downgrading to a substantially weaker stem.

Also, Forged stems are significantly stronger and I know theres a few that are only $40-45. Plenty of Forged and CNC-machined stems go on sale for sub-$40 as well. Why settle for lesser quality for the same price?

Yeah i gotcha bro.. i got my Fit for like $25... ive been wanting to get a better stem though...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/11/2018 10:24 AM

Considering the amount of Sunday freeze stems out there, I'd say the percentage that fail is probably extremely low. I've never seen or heard of one failing. Cracking a stem anywhere near a bolt will be due to over tightening it.

|

9/11/2018 10:51 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Considering the amount of Sunday freeze stems out there, I'd say the percentage that fail is probably extremely low. I've never seen or heard of one failing. Cracking a stem anywhere near a bolt will be due to over tightening it.

Sounds like you just heard of 5+ failing & that's out of one city alonewink Glad I could be your first. I'm sure the search bar will show some results as well, I've seen a handful of Freeze stems pop up broken on this forum over the years.

Also, maybe all 5+ of those (including one from a Sunday flow rider) were due to over tightening, I couldn't tell you since I didn't install them myself. However, isn't that all the more reason to spend a little extra on a stem that can withstand being tightened slightly more than necessary? It's not uncommon whatsoever for BMX riders to crank shit down for good measure.

Again, why settle for something inferior, especially something that breaks from being slightly over-tightened? & I do say slightly because I highly doubt 5 separate riders, one being a certified bike mechanic, all tightened their Freeze stems to the point of cracking. These guys also never had this issue with their previous/replacement stems, seems to have solely been a problem with the Freeze stems, at least in my area.?


Saying Cast Stems are a good choice is like saying Hi-tensil Frames are a good choice. It might be a good choice for someone getting into BMX, but I can't fathom why you'd ever build an aftermarket rig with one and trust it with your life.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/11/2018 11:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2018 11:31 AM

dead goon wrote:

I like the inverse, it looks good. I usually go polished, so my bars won't slip. Considering going black though...

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

So your bars wont slip? Has that been an actual problem for you?

Majority of stems, including "polished" ones, are anodized. To my knowledge, anodizing is kinda like dying the Aluminum, as opposed to adding a layer of paint on top of it.

Even polished parts will usually come with a clear or silver anodize on them for protection from corrosion.

What I'm getting at is; The color of the stem should not affect how well it grips your handlebars.

No, it hasn't but I'm a preventative kind of guy.

Perhaps I should have said, so my bars have less of a possibility of slipping...

I'm now considering just sticking with my Merritt or even going to the MKII. I really do like it and I only paid $20 for it. The MKII is only $55, as well. I can swing that.

|

9/11/2018 11:30 AM

dead goon wrote:

No, it hasn't but I'm a preventative kind of guy.

Perhaps I should have said, so my bars have less of a possibility of slipping...

I'm now considering just sticking with my Merritt or even going to the MKII. I really do like it and I only paid $20 for it. The MKII is only $55, as well. I can swing that.

Right on. In that case, there's no need to worry about color. Any anodized/polished stem will have the same grip on your bars.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/11/2018 11:34 AM

I appreciate everyone's input.

|