Handlebar geometry

Related:
Create New Tag

6/23/2015 11:24 PM

can someone really explain what backsweep and upsweep are and what they do? I've looked a lot online and haven't really found any good info on it.

|

6/24/2015 12:13 AM

Upsweep is how much your bars are bent up and backsweep is how much your bars are bent back. The higher the upsweep (4 and up) are easier on your wrist on drops.

|

6/24/2015 2:49 AM

There is 4 settings to considerate for buy a bar.
Height and width (like 8.75" and 29")
And the up and backsweep, to understand what it is, nothing more simple as a picture.
Photo

The backsweep will define the feeling of your hands and wrists (i love a 11.5 / 12 backsweep or the bar feel to "straight".)

Same for upsweep but who can have a big influence on bike handling.
The more upsweep you got the more your bike become "twitchy" on handling because when you push on your hands (one hand) to turn, the bikes react quicker with a 4 degree usweep than 1 degree (almost flat bar).
I like this around 3 degree (currently ride 2.5)

I think these settings are really important when you choose a bar.

Even more than height or width, because you still can adjust that with spacers / stem and a hacksaw (if the bar is too wide).

So don't be like all these kids at my local park who says : "my bar is a 8.5" and who knows nothing on the rest of their bars.

So let´s imagine you search a 9" bar.
There is a ton of bars with that size, so watch for upsweep and backsweep (let´s imagine you want 2 upsweep an 12 backsweep) and around 29" wide.

Then, you find the perfect bar but the height is 8.75" (instead of a bigger 9").
So just take it and if you want to be higher, put some spacers (6mm / 0,25").
If the pefect bar is too wide, just cut it (just don't take a dumb 30" if you place your hands like on a 28").

But you will never being able to change up and backsweep, so choose them well.

I hope to help you and being clear.

|

6/24/2015 4:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2015 4:20 AM

I like 12/2 thats what feels most comfortable to my wrist and hands.

^ thats all back sweep and upsweep affect, arrangment of your arms, hands, and wrists.

The rise and position of your bars, stem reach, fork offset, chainstay length, stand over height, headtubeangle and where your rear tire sits in your dropouts affect the "twitchyness"

For example, you don't have 8.5" rise bars. You have a 8.5" radius of a circle you hold onto, adjust, and lock into place. now you have two 8.5" radius of circles, both with different backsweep and upsweep.

BOTH bars are capable of having your hands in the EXACT place as the other depending in how far forward or back you have the bars placed. The arrangement of your hands, wrists and arms will be different with both bars even if your hands are in the same place.

Changing anything except maybe the gearing will affect the way a bike handles, anything. Placement of bars can outweigh the affect of backsweep and upsweep the bars have.

You'll naturally put the bars where you like them. You'll have to figure out how far you want your wrists turned in and hands turned out.

|

6/24/2015 8:30 AM

Ahh skeet skeet wrote:

Upsweep is how much your bars are bent up and backsweep is how much your bars are bent back. The higher the upsweep (4 and up) ...more

I got that I just want to know what they affect the feel of the bars

|

6/24/2015 8:34 AM

Francky wrote:

There is 4 settings to considerate for buy a bar.
Height and width (like 8.75" and 29")
And the up and backsweep, to ...more

Exactly what I was looking for thank you

|

6/24/2015 10:01 AM

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/4/2015 6:47 PM

Dont

|