Handlebar slip

Related:
Create New Tag

7/30/2018 7:27 PM

I recently got a new complete got the handlebars tightened in the X pattern and even on both sides but they slip back again after a couple days. Remove them tightened them down again removed paint. Still slip down again so I take it to the bike shop they clean it again and retighten the bolts. Then I do a hop and they slip down again does anyone know what could be the problem then if it’s with the bars or the stem?

|

7/30/2018 8:33 PM

Did you over tighten? If so you'll need new bars lol

|

It’s all bmx

7/30/2018 9:37 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Did you over tighten? If so you'll need new bars lol

I don’t recall over tightening them I just stopped when they were tight enough and I’d doubt the bike shop people would over tighten it either .

|

7/30/2018 11:57 PM

If the bars are crushed, they'll slip no matter how much you tighten them :/

|

7/31/2018 9:11 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

If the bars are crushed, they'll slip no matter how much you tighten them :/

I can only think of them getting crushed in the car when I took them off but they were in a safe place how can I check if there crushed?

|

7/31/2018 9:22 AM

tahir wrote:

I can only think of them getting crushed in the car when I took them off but they were in a safe place how can I check if there crushed?

You'll see it. The clamping area should be round. It's far more likely that they just weren't tight enough.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/31/2018 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2018 6:57 AM

If they're crushed I've got a bars and a stem for sale..

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/31/2018 10:25 PM

To see if they're crushed, tighten the bolts on the stem just enough so that there's friction but you can still tilt the bars up and down. If there's more friction in one certain area of the bar clamping area when you tilt the bars, then it's very likely they're done for.

If you wanna be extra safe, buy a new stem along with bars.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/1/2018 7:11 AM

Take your bars off.

Sand down the area that fits in the stem and sand down the stem really good with some gritty sandpaper.

Wipe everything down to remove all the dust and replace them.

Go shred.

|

8/1/2018 7:19 AM

I've used a piece of sticky rubber around the part of the bars that goes in the stem. Inner tube works if you get rid of the powder they're sometimes covered in. Of course it's a temporary solution

|

8/1/2018 8:52 AM

I sanded them down yesterday and there not crushed but if they slip again I gotta buy a new stem

|

8/1/2018 9:00 AM

Its maybe the stem spec are off. Iv never heard of crushing bars from being to tight in the stem.

|

8/1/2018 9:01 AM

tahir wrote:

I sanded them down yesterday and there not crushed but if they slip again I gotta buy a new stem

I think many of us would appreciate pictures of the stem and/or bars and the way you have them on the bike, this seems mysterious. Please take pics if the problem is still there

|