Hanging the bike up for good!

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2016 4:41 PM

Well, after a huge hiatus of not riding bmx and now getting back into it nearly 10 years later due to injury after injury, I do a simple 180 barspin and my back tire slides out and long story short I tear my acl on my only decent knee. I'm 30 years old with 4 kids and bmx has always been my life since the 90's up til now but there comes a time in life where you need to choose what's important and I choose the kids. This is so hard to do! Anyone else my age deal with this situation?

|

8/8/2016 4:46 PM

Well, you have to do what you have to do. The kids are more important. Sorry about your knee

|

8/8/2016 4:51 PM

Thanks man! Yeah I'd rather be there to raise them in one piece than break myself off and not be able to still run around with them as time goes

|

8/8/2016 5:46 PM

I knew a guy a few years ago (he was about 24 or 25) who was in your situation, except he never went on a hiatus and until tearing his ACL, was injury-free. Everything else is the same though, he tore his ACL then hung the bike up for good cause he didn't want to get injured again and not be able to work & support his family. It sucks, but it's smart and completely understandable.

If I were you, I'd keep the bike though. Who knows, maybe years later your kids will wanna learn to ride and you can show em a thing or two.

I'm younger than you are, but I tore my ACL too some years ago. Shit sucks so much ass, but I haven't really had any issues with it since it fully healed. Heal up and do physical therapy as instructed, you'll be better in no time (Well, 6 months... but still haha)

|

8/8/2016 6:35 PM

I've had a lot of injuries since this one lol! My right knee has been practically completely rebuilt, my left shoulder has been rebuilt (it separates easily), concussions, left elbow hyper extended about 5 times, right ankle shattered, multiple broken fingers, the list goes and goes! This tear happened in my only decent body part lol

|

8/8/2016 7:41 PM

I might be doing the same thing with hockey this year. Nearly dislocated my hip this past Feb in a game after my skate got caught in a rut and my body feel the wrong way over my leg. I am 47 and have been playing since the 70's. After trying to skate again this summer, I could barely move. For the first time in 40 year I was terrified of being on the ice and re-injuring my leg. I have been doing physical therapy, and the leg is fine on land - though I can't run yet. I can even bike, and bear the weight of jumping, but not skating yet.

I am not ready to throw in the towel yet, but this was the first time I really experienced the notion that my body doesn't heal like it used to...

I have not had the same thing happen on my bikes yet, and I hope it doesn't happen soon.

I think if I were you, I would heal the knee properly, and see what happens. Kids are important, but your kids will not be happy of you aren't. After the right time, see if biking can happen again....your kids might even be the catalyst in getting you back on in the end....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

8/8/2016 11:42 PM

I'm 35, luckily I've never had an injury that's put me permanently out. But I've got cartilage and ligament damage in both knees, and a trapped nerve in my back from landing on my face years ago. I completely understand the not wanting to ride incase you can't be there for your family. I actually skipped an operation on my left knee just after my son was born because I didn't want to be on crutches for a couple of months and not be able to enjoy parenthood. I still haven't had the op and that was nearly 8 years ago.
I've quit many times in the past, I started in 94, and only really rode for a few years then quit, then started again and rode for a few years, then quit again etc.
This time round, my body feels better than it ever has. I think riding actually helps with loosening all my joints and keeping them healthy. But I don't ride hard anymore. I just chill and nibble around. I enjoy it for what it is and don't force myself into things.

Having some time off and letting yourself heal up is nothing but a good idea. But keep your bike! You'll probably get the urge to ride again, even if it's a couple of years from now, and as long as you don't push yourself too hard you'll (probably) be fine.
You can hurt yourself doing anything, it seems a shame giving up something you love because of the risk of something that might not happen.

I feel like I get worse every time I ride. But it still puts a smile on my face. I don't push myself like I used to, and it's kind of liberating in a way. I ride purely because it's fun. I'm always scared of hurting myself so I try to only ride within my capabilities, but just pissing about doing silly things is awesome!

|

8/8/2016 11:56 PM

The older you get the more important it is to stay in shape and limber, if you want to continue to be active.

Sucks to hear you have to quit. Maybe build up a 24 or 26 inch bike so you can at least pedal around.

|

8/9/2016 2:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2016 2:37 PM

Don't sell it. Heal up, take it easy, and then build strength back up. Get a road bike and have it fit properly to you. Ease back into BMX.

You don't have to be doing trucks and flips to have fun. Sometimes just flowing around and doing skids and little hops is more fun than anything.

As to progressing, you are anytime you ride. It may not be very noticeable, but you may go a little faster, or manual a little farther, maybe even hop a little higher.

After 17 years of BMX, I have completely slowed down-no denying it. But I mess around and have fun. Play on a foot tall rail for an hour. Manual a parking lot. Hop curbs.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/9/2016 3:00 PM

You guys are all right! My body has taken way too many poundings. My problem is and this has been that way for the 20 something years I've rode bmx is that I've always been a fearless person and I go big all the time to the point of almost killing myself learning everything. I can't just ride normal! My body hurts there's no denying that! I'm a heavy truck diesel mechanic too and need to work obviously and my job is very strenuous to say the least. I'll continue to hopefully ride the bike once in a while to just ride. I'm actually in very good shape! It's just the older I get the more things hurt. I can't ride anything else but a bmx bike so I will probably just force myself to ride "normal" with the kids lol

|

8/9/2016 3:14 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

You guys are all right! My body has taken way too many poundings. My problem is and this has been that way for the 20 ...more

Slowing down and messing around is so much more fun as you get older. When I started riding again a couple of years ago I wanted to get good, and expected to do everything I used to be able to do. Now I've accepted I'm shit, but have so much more fun by not worrying about how good I am, or how good other people think I am. I'm not saying you're like that, I'm just saying it's easy to nibble around and put a smile on your face without risking getting wrecked.

I can't ride anything other than bmx either. Partly because I'm a bit of a snob and would want the bike out there. Partly because I can't help but want to hop up curbs and mess around, but mostly because I physically can't sit down and pedal (I've had problems with my hips since my teens, sitting down to ride a bike leaves me in agony).

I've noticed the most fun part of riding is riding to a spot, not actually riding it. Nose bonks and manuals on curbs, and tyre slide hops up curbs is much more appealing to me than a jump box or quarter haha. So just messing around in a car park gets me stoked! I've fallen off a few times, but nothing more than cuts and bruises. My reaction time isn't what it used to be, and I bear that in mind with everything I try.
You just need to enjoy it for what it is and you'll be fine. Pissing about on kids bikes!

|

11/2/2016 11:09 AM

Not to resurrect my old thread but you guys are dicks! So I ended up selling my bike. Just about a few weeks ago I ended building a complete custom bike and still riding

|

11/2/2016 11:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/2/2016 11:30 AM

My body hurts but I can't stop! Back riding dirt! Screw parks! The kids, the scooters, the rap music, the brakeless riders with no skill and can't stop for shit! Dirt is my home

|

11/2/2016 12:25 PM

Dirt rules.

I broke 3 bones in my foot 5 weeks ago.

|

11/2/2016 12:40 PM

I'm glad to see you're still on it smile

|

11/2/2016 12:52 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm glad to see you're still on it smile

Absolutely bro!

|

11/2/2016 12:53 PM

pnj wrote:

Dirt rules.

I broke 3 bones in my foot 5 weeks ago.

Dirt is the bomb! And that's a shitty injury man I know first hand! You'll die riding dirt but it is my therapy

|

11/4/2016 9:31 AM

I had a nice faceplant a few weeks ago doing almost nothing, my tire slipped, busted a tooth, shifted a few others, 6 stitches in my lip, now I can't bite down to eat. Hopefully that gets taken care of my next dentist appointment cause eating is a pain in the ass. I'm 39 and not going to stop yet, just going to start wearing a mouth guard. People can say I'm too old all they want but what am I supposed to do, go hide in my basement?

I'm glad you're still riding, helps knowing I'm not the only oldfoolbmxer!

|

11/5/2016 9:51 AM

don't give it up completely! I'm a year back into bmx after leaving it for about 10 years. The aches and pains will always be with us lol. I just turned 44 and haven't rode for the last few weeks thanks to a nosepick to tailtap to pulled back muscle on re-entry haha. Def little nibs here and there are the way for me to have my bmx fun and still live!

|

Free thinkers are dangerous

11/5/2016 12:38 PM

Quit riding so hard man. I started doing a bunch of labor jobs, so I honestly have no cares about progressing in bmx or anything. I just ride my bike around. Hoppin curbs manualling little lines etc, some bigger stuff here and there but no big jumps to flat etc, I still have a blast. Honestly I just really like going fast as hell and clearing sidewalk gaps and whatnot, and I never get hurt doing it so that's always cool.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

11/5/2016 3:15 PM

4130Junkie wrote:

I had a nice faceplant a few weeks ago doing almost nothing, my tire slipped, busted a tooth, shifted a few others, 6 stitches ...more

That sucks man sad

One question though, if you had a mouth guard when it happened, would your teeth be ok?

I am 27, ride only street, not doing any crazy stuff, but I almost have full gear protection smile)
shin, knee, elbow and ankles
And I'm really considering a full face helmet...

Better to be laughed at, but alive and healthy.

|

11/5/2016 3:43 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Well, after a huge hiatus of not riding bmx and now getting back into it nearly 10 years later due to injury after injury, I ...more

You are skipping the most basic fundamentals of physical fitness.

|

11/6/2016 11:08 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

I had a nice faceplant a few weeks ago doing almost nothing, my tire slipped, busted a tooth, shifted a few others, 6 stitches ...more

am-shaegar wrote:

That sucks man sad

One question though, if you had a mouth guard when it happened, would your teeth be ok?

I am 27, ride only ...more

I really don't know what would have been different with a mouth guard. Thinking my teeth wouldn't have split my lip open and possibly wouldn't have had a headache for a week and a half. Probably still would have got fat lips, bruised my chin and scraped up my nose. A full face helmet would have prevented all my facial injuries but who knows. I'm gonna do my best not to replicate the situation.

|

11/6/2016 7:05 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Well, after a huge hiatus of not riding bmx and now getting back into it nearly 10 years later due to injury after injury, I ...more

I have MANY friends who have destroyed various parts of their body playing hockey, and they still play, and still raised their kids....

We all have to make decisions for our own situations, but to give up something that is possibly an outlet for the frustrations in life is sometimes not the best thing to do...just sayin' I am 47, and if I had given up hockey...and biking....I would be in MUCH more "pain" right now at this stage in my life.

so do what you need to now, but realize that giving up something that defines(d) you will actually be MORE detrimental to your kids than you think. My bike riding, and hockey, have allowed me to bond and help my own step-son get close. We talk about and "suffer through" injuries together. My being able to ride allows me to release pent up frustration in a positive way. not like some of my other friends who tend to let the bitterness show in their family relationships....the ones who complain about "the ball and chain" or how their kids get more than them, or they don't understand why "no one wants to hang around with them at home"...because they are bitter and grumpy due to not having any kind of personal outlet or escape from the family

anywho, do what you think you need to, but take it from me - 10+ years ahead of your situation - you WILL NOT get back any of the time that goes by not riding...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence