Harry main and Mafia can't compete unless u buy their shit

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2016 11:32 PM

For starters as far as I know no one buys bike parts off amazon or eBay unless they are used also bmx company's arnt advertising their shit on tv so how do people find out about a new company through pro riders, dans comp, ride bmx, vital, and most of all local riders. If experienced riders don't buy mafia parts because they disagree with the direct sales then all these new kids they are hoping that will buy their product will never know the company exists or if they don't see any locals riding their parts they will buy from a bigger name brand.
I don't think mafia is going to be able to change anything in bmx especially if all the experienced riders disagree with their sales
What do u guys think

|

1/15/2016 12:05 AM

I think a lot of kids will jump on mafia purely because they love harry main. The parts will become better because they want to be reputable, so those kids that are new to riding will grow up not realising how terrible they are now, or how little mafia and harry main care about bmx. A bit like all the other companies over the years that have been in it for the money. If they don't hit their sales targets they'll simply give up and drop harry without a second thought and probably turn to making scooters under a different name. They're in it for the money, and chances are they'll make plenty

|

1/15/2016 12:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2016 12:57 AM

Idk for me most of the parts I have bought have been from company's that I know to be reputable because of the locals I ride with and people I meet I never really payed attention to who was riding for who but I also wasn't a 12 year old with a smart phone or easy access to the Internet so I've always went by what I've heard about company's or by riding other people's bikes to check out their set up.
If mafias going to take off I think they'll have to do a lot of advertising which will be hard if some of the big company's dont agree with the direction he's going

|

1/15/2016 1:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2016 1:23 AM

I might buy some Mafia stuff just cause you told me not to , your not the fucken boss of me or anyone else on here , fuck off with your butthurt annoying shit , guys like you are making it annoying to be in bmx , bmx is starting to lack individualism because it's getting filled with jack offs like you who worry to much about what everyone else is doing instead of your own riding , and your always the first to chime in with your shitty little opinion that doesn't even matter when someone does something differently then you would , we aren't all supposed to be the same , who gives a flying fuck about who someone rides bikes for , it's almost to the point I wouldn't mind seeing bmx die off again , then at least trendy carbon copy butthurt pussys like you will drop out of it , and all the guys who wanna ride have a good time and progress themselves will still do it because they love it

|

1/15/2016 2:09 AM

I'm not telling u not to buy their parts I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about what he's doing it not going to affect bmx only people it will effect are those who sell bikes. All I see on the come up is people calling him a sell out the guys going in his on direction if people don't like it don't buy from them bmx will still be here with or without mail order companies. Also u can go fuck your self sorry I'm not into asking what grips I should get or posting shit about rating my bike. Just talking about whats big in the bmx world

|

1/15/2016 3:01 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I might buy some Mafia stuff just cause you told me not to , your not the fucken boss of me or anyone else on here , fuck off with your butthurt annoying shit , guys like you are making it annoying to be in bmx , bmx is starting to lack individualism because it's getting filled with jack offs like you who worry to much about what everyone else is doing instead of your own riding , and your always the first to chime in with your shitty little opinion that doesn't even matter when someone does something differently then you would , we aren't all supposed to be the same , who gives a flying fuck about who someone rides bikes for , it's almost to the point I wouldn't mind seeing bmx die off again , then at least trendy carbon copy butthurt pussys like you will drop out of it , and all the guys who wanna ride have a good time and progress themselves will still do it because they love it

Wow. Was that aimed at me? I apologise if it isn't.
But the thread is about harry main riding for mafia. I couldn't care less who he rides for, I'm merely giving an opinion on how I think kids will react.
If you have no interest, why read it? And why comment on it?

I'm far from butt hurt, and I couldn't care less what you think of me. I've admitted I've been wrong on other threads. But I'm also far from riding because it's a cool thing to do. I started riding 20 years ago. I've never been particularly good so I'm certainly not in it to impress anyone. If you want to know why I ride, it's because coasting around on my bike puts a smile on my face. And because we've had different opinions, that automatically means I'm not entitled to mine?
Looks like someone had their breakfast pissed in this morning....

|

1/15/2016 4:14 AM

Hmmmm the only way I would buy Mafia parts is if I saw them on EmpieBMX. I only buy from Empire cause...TEXAS that is all. I respect other bike stores, but I love and want to support Empire cause...TEXAS! Only my 2017 bike plans may use a frame from somewhere else. I'm thinking about buying a Standard or Laird Frame directly, but the rest of the parts would come from Empire.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/15/2016 5:10 AM

This is legitimately like the 2nd time I've heard of Mafia. I have no idea about anything involving the brand so there's no way I'd buy it anyway.

And fuck Harry Main

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

1/15/2016 5:24 AM

I've never heard of Mafia bikes until Harry Main got the sponsorship.

In regard to the issue of Mafia bikes and bmx companies, I do believe that Harry Main's intentions are well placed...
if you read his statement about leaving his previous sponsors he simply wants to make bmx more affordable for kids getting started in the sport that's it. He did say some other stuff that I dont agree with but I'm not going to get into that because I would be here forever. While I can say I'm not a fan of Harry Main I do believe that he is trying to do something positive for the sport and I can support that.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

1/15/2016 6:46 AM

I buy parts off amazon all the time. There are plenty of shops on there and you can find no longer made/hard to find parts there.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

1/15/2016 12:05 PM

I write regarding the Harry Main¨s article which has formed a series of controversies these days all over the web.

I'm a big fan and wanted through this video remind every rider in the world the great career that Harry have had since he was 17 years old.

|

1/15/2016 12:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2016 12:48 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think a lot of kids will jump on mafia purely because they love harry main. The parts will become better because they want to be reputable, so those kids that are new to riding will grow up not realising how terrible they are now, or how little mafia and harry main care about bmx. A bit like all the other companies over the years that have been in it for the money. If they don't hit their sales targets they'll simply give up and drop harry without a second thought and probably turn to making scooters under a different name. They're in it for the money, and chances are they'll make plenty

I get that.

Personally though, I think the brand will stay around how it is, catering to NEW riders who want a "BMX" bike that is parent-wallet approved. I see them aiming for the gap between department store bikes and shop quality bikes-their current stuff on their site is equal to low end completes from US brands around 3-5 years ago. I'd bet that's where their bread and butter will be. They may offer a higher end set of stuff at a lower cost than most brands, but in no way does that mean it will "kill BMX". They just simply won't have the sales with that higher end stuff with seasoned riders, especially if it is lower quality. It MIGHT bring younger/new riders into a better quality than department store bike, which IS GOOD, but I don't see them becoming bigger than other brands because of pricing. One could look at them as a "gateway" brand. Something to get started, but then as they progress they get into the more "hardcore" stuff. (Similar to Dyno back in the 90's-entry level stuff and you would progress to the higher end GT market)

Hardly anyone went crazy about the budget minded frames (and parts) from Nitrous/Eastern (Piston) or Haro (Zebra) and almost no one respected the Dan's in house brand Poverty (even when their stuff was on par or BETTER than a lot on the market in the early to mid 00s and WAY cheaper), so I don't see this being the next Cult or Sunday by any means. Anyone who thinks this actually will "kill bmx" clearly is being too nervous, new brands come and go, and there is cheap catalog stuff all over the internet, but those brands aren't exploding with sales. Harry Main is popular, but I don't think this will be as big a deal as most of you guys do.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/15/2016 1:14 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

Hmmmm the only way I would buy Mafia parts is if I saw them on EmpieBMX. I only buy from Empire cause...TEXAS that is all. I respect other bike stores, but I love and want to support Empire cause...TEXAS! Only my 2017 bike plans may use a frame from somewhere else. I'm thinking about buying a Standard or Laird Frame directly, but the rest of the parts would come from Empire.

Lmfao "cause Texas"

|

1/15/2016 1:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2016 1:51 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

This post reminds me of the 80s Space guy from the Lego Movie. "SPACESHIP!!!"

hahaa.

But yea, I haven't ordered from Empire just because I was working in a shop for years and rarely order stuff. A buddy of mine actually just moved to Austin area and went there and said it was pretty awesome.

Maybe when I have money again.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/15/2016 2:23 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I get that.

Personally though, I think the brand will stay around how it is, catering to NEW riders who want a "BMX" bike that is parent-wallet approved. I see them aiming for the gap between department store bikes and shop quality bikes-their current stuff on their site is equal to low end completes from US brands around 3-5 years ago. I'd bet that's where their bread and butter will be. They may offer a higher end set of stuff at a lower cost than most brands, but in no way does that mean it will "kill BMX". They just simply won't have the sales with that higher end stuff with seasoned riders, especially if it is lower quality. It MIGHT bring younger/new riders into a better quality than department store bike, which IS GOOD, but I don't see them becoming bigger than other brands because of pricing. One could look at them as a "gateway" brand. Something to get started, but then as they progress they get into the more "hardcore" stuff. (Similar to Dyno back in the 90's-entry level stuff and you would progress to the higher end GT market)

Hardly anyone went crazy about the budget minded frames (and parts) from Nitrous/Eastern (Piston) or Haro (Zebra) and almost no one respected the Dan's in house brand Poverty (even when their stuff was on par or BETTER than a lot on the market in the early to mid 00s and WAY cheaper), so I don't see this being the next Cult or Sunday by any means. Anyone who thinks this actually will "kill bmx" clearly is being too nervous, new brands come and go, and there is cheap catalog stuff all over the internet, but those brands aren't exploding with sales. Harry Main is popular, but I don't think this will be as big a deal as most of you guys do.

I agree with you man if Mafia bikes brings in tons of new riders because they sell bikes at a lower price that means new riders and I personally do all my on work on my bike but a lot of new kids that get into riding go to bike shops to have their stuff put together which will only create more business for the shops and bike company's that sell through those shops. I've seen some post from pro riders saying that easier to get bikes will basically water down the bmx community and bring in people who aren't serious about riding (Sean burns and fbm) but if more kids start riding bmx even if it's for a whole year give up that still helps local shops indoor parks and could even help get new parks built because of the amount of kids that are interested.

|

1/15/2016 2:46 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I get that.

that's a good point actually, i didn't even look at it that way. Although it would make me question where he thinks his future in bmx will be. Riding for a company that doesn't make particularly good parts (if they intentionally stay aimed at that level of new rider) isn't really something to be proud of and want to promote.
My fear, like a lot of people that have huge respect for the smaller companies doing it for passion more than profit, is that if direct sales become the future of bmx, there will be no local shops, no online shops etc. so who would be funding events and hooking up local riders? or helping out the very riders that mafia want to introduce to the sport?
if they are the only company to do this, and stay with entry level bikes. no harm done. but if every other company sold direct (to help their own profit margins, in a very shakey industry), it would destroy our culture

|

1/15/2016 3:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2016 3:52 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

that's a good point actually, i didn't even look at it that way. Although it would make me question where he thinks his future in bmx will be. Riding for a company that doesn't make particularly good parts (if they intentionally stay aimed at that level of new rider) isn't really something to be proud of and want to promote.
My fear, like a lot of people that have huge respect for the smaller companies doing it for passion more than profit, is that if direct sales become the future of bmx, there will be no local shops, no online shops etc. so who would be funding events and hooking up local riders? or helping out the very riders that mafia want to introduce to the sport?
if they are the only company to do this, and stay with entry level bikes. no harm done. but if every other company sold direct (to help their own profit margins, in a very shakey industry), it would destroy our culture

Valid point as well. I could see some companies going to a more direct sales approach to level the playing field (lots of brands have online stores and do some sales themselves, usually soft goods and small parts) and many run distribution centers for their stuff too.

IF those companies DID go all out to direct sales, I would imagine they would be selling at similar costs to retail shops, so they don't just destroy them. Then again those stores would not be housing BMX so I guess in THAT respect the shops wouldn't be competition anymore.

The online sales side is great and horrible at the same time. Great because small shop can reach SO MANY MORE customers, but bad because people just go there to research and then buy online-the bigger pet peeves of local shop employees.

BMX is a drop in the bucket when it comes to cycling as a whole and most shops profit margins, and this company would have to become pretty damn big (we're talking like Haro in the Mirra days sized) ;to do the damage everyone is freaking out about.

The internet has ruined and aided SO MANY industries at this point, sadly for small mom & pop stuff it is adapt or die for the most part.

I still don't think this is going to be too crazy.

Also Harry was super popular, then kinda dropped out of the limelight for a bit, and has now come back full force because he is pushing his Youtube channel and day in the life type of stuff. For where he is in BMX, I think this will set his popularity back a bit with seasoned/veteran riders and industry folks are starting to just hate him straight up, but they don't even know what this will ACTUALLY do to the industry.

We can all agree his IS tiptoe-ing on a thin line with this endeavor being that people feel their livelihood is threatened, and it will either make or break him specifically. As to the industry, UNLESS other big name brands follow suit, OR TONS of other crap brands do the same thing, it won't get too far.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/16/2016 12:53 PM

Who is Harry Main, and what is Mafia?

More importantly, why should I give a fuck?

|

1/17/2016 8:03 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

THIS.

|

1/17/2016 11:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2016 11:19 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

You should care because the lazy dude who smokes weed everyday in the bike shop will be the first to be fired when the whole bmx industry will fall apart due to Mafia BMX.

S&M might actually have to hire competent welders to compete with Mafia BMX with their cheaper offerings with good welds.

smile

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/17/2016 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2016 2:43 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

one try kid wrote:

You should care because the lazy dude who smokes weed everyday in the bike shop will be the first to be fired when the whole bmx industry will fall apart due to Mafia BMX.

S&M might actually have to hire competent welders to compete with Mafia BMX with their cheaper offerings with good welds.

smile

S&M survived the huge crash in the 90's, which makes the current downturn look like a joke.

S&M will survive Harry Main.

Edit: the Harry Mainpocalypse. lol.

|

1/17/2016 3:27 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

S&M survived the huge crash in the 90's, which makes the current downturn look like a joke.

Ahh... that's why S&M is left with the shitty welders all the good ones left during the pay-cut.

Harry Mainrupture.

|

But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/17/2016 3:30 PM

one try kid wrote:

smile

tecnic1 wrote:

one try kid wrote:

Ahh... that's why S&M is left with the shitty welders all the good ones left during the pay-cut.

Harry Mainrupture.

What are you basing these "shitty welds" off of?

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

1/17/2016 3:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2016 3:36 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

A few posters here have complained about S&M's welds, see.. http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Warranty,1306729?page=2 see hardtim_bmx's reply.

And that ever so famous Ohioan's T1 x S&M frame shitty welds and ovalized headtube.

|

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/17/2016 3:37 PM

Oh someone said it on the Internet? Must be true, let's all talk shit about s&m.......

|

1/17/2016 3:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2016 3:45 PM

one try kid wrote:

Harry Mainrupture.

Ricked_Em wrote:

one try kid wrote:

A few posters here have complained about S&M's welds, see.. http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Warranty,1306729?page=2 see hardtim_bmx's reply.

And that ever so famous Ohioan's T1 x S&M frame shitty welds and ovalized headtube.

Waiting for Ohios dick to come out of your mouth. I've tig welded, it's a fucking art and do you know how hard it is to make them all look identical? I would trust a person hand welding and the weld be slightly inconsistent as there are variables in every weld. No matter how much you measure and grind every tube and joint has a slight variable. A robot has a set heat/filler programmed in so if there is a larger gap then what is programmed you're going to have a weaker spot vs the hand welded "raised weld". I'll go with function over looks any day.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

1/17/2016 3:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Oh someone said it on the Internet? Must be true, let's all talk shit about s&m.......

Oh yeah... everyone else's experience and opinion doesn't matter because S&M is the awesomest.

|

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/17/2016 3:54 PM

Sorry but a bunch of teenagers on vital don't sent make anything true.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

1/17/2016 3:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2016 4:00 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Waiting for Ohios dick to come out of your mouth. I've tig welded, it's a fucking art and do you know how hard it is to make them all look identical? I would trust a person hand welding and the weld be slightly inconsistent as there are variables in every weld. No matter how much you measure and grind every tube and joint has a slight variable. A robot has a set heat/filler programmed in so if there is a larger gap then what is programmed you're going to have a weaker spot vs the hand welded "raised weld". I'll go with function over looks any day.

*takes ohioan's dick out of mouth*

if you're paying premium for a Made in USA frame, you'd atleast expect non-shitty looking welds.

And a shitty looking weld isn't a weak weld?
I didn't know that. I can't weld for shit. Function over looks i guess.

You win!

*puts dick back in mouth*

|

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/17/2016 4:00 PM

What a premium? $20? Hand weld over robot anyway. Everyone's version of "shitty is different and is based of of "inconsistency of raised welds and not the same head" that does not equal a bad weld.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill