Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2016 3:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2016 3:07 PM

Wow i would have never thought he would leave monster thats crazy

|

1/14/2016 3:14 PM

Seems like it was on good terms.

"No longer riding for Monster Energy. This year we have parted ways after seven years together. We are both doing separate things which is cool! Had such a sick time with these guys and unforgettable moments! Thanks for everything!"

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/14/2016 3:19 PM

Sean Burns posted a picture of how bad he was for BMX

TVU has a edit or something talking about him

In the end he wants kids to ride bikes so I might not agree with him but he has good intent . Just maybe not to all eyes .

If he does what he wants , than good for him

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/14/2016 6:23 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

In the end he wants ...more

Where did Sean Burns say/posted a pic about this?

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/14/2016 6:39 PM

Monsters aren't healthy to drink to begin with .... So if your a piece of shit and want him to die sooner i could see why someone could be upset

|

1/14/2016 6:48 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

In the end he wants ...more

one try kid wrote:

Where did Sean Burns say/posted a pic about this?

Photo

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/14/2016 6:52 PM

Here is my comment from his interview:

"To people saying this is the "death of BMX" I think you are wrong, and here is why. Most people had never heard of Mafia Bikes until this move of Harry's. Those folks that have tend to have no respect for the brand for various reasons. That right there tells me that the core of people who will buy bikes from Mafia will be NEW RIDERS, parents who are cheap/can't afford a better setup, and wannabes who are trying to be trendy. It will not be the riders who have been shredding for years. I look at those customers as the same folks who buy "BMX" type bikes from department stores and think they are the same quality. Shop employees know all about those parents who think a 150 dollar bike is the same as a 500 dollar bike. Mafia MIGHT be above department store level (I have never seen one) so it would be a decent middle ground to go for. DK tried the EXACT SAME THING (bridging the gap between dept store bikes and shop level bikes) and NO ONE SAID A WORD about it "killing BMX". It's another dept store style brand. No one is flipping out about kids who start on walmart bikes either. This is NO DIFFERENT aside from his name being attached. It might even bring kids into the "core" side of BMX, because they buy a cheaper bike and see videos of Harry shredding (he is a damn talented rider, don't even try to deny it) and it could get them stoked. Then they check out other videos, see other brands and BOOM you have a core rider. Not always gonna be the case, but it likely will bring in new riders, despite all your hate. Also, WHY HAS NO ONE TRIED TO BASH TOM JUSTICE FOR RIDING FOR THEM TOO? I'd bet he is excited for things to come with Harry on the team.

Ride your damn bike, buy from your favorite brands, and shut up. Besides, 99% of kids out there order from Dan's, Albe's and Empire, who typically buy DIRECT from merchants. While 2/3 of those have shops, those kids pretty much ALWAYS have a local shop, but the local shops "cost too much" which makes them huge hypocrites.

Regardless, it is HIS DECISION, and I would bet it will not cause you ANY ISSUE with your current favorite brands (which will change with the next announcements of sponsor changes anyway).

EDIT: Took a look at the website and I feel I am correct. Very much aimed to be the middle ground for dept store bikes and shop bikes."

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/14/2016 6:53 PM

While we're at it we all myswell say fuck Gary young to , should stayed on dirt bros instead he went to Sunday , fucken sellout

|

1/14/2016 6:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2016 6:55 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote: Photo

lol.

That's funny.

I did some research and i kinda do understand why he would skip on dealers and distributors to bring in a cheaper bmx alternative.

The mark up on "good" bmx products from bmx shops in third world countries is ridiculous.

I had a lot of friends who rode Amity and UnKnown Bikes back home in the Philippines because they were a cheaper alternative. Before those brands closed anyway.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/14/2016 7:18 PM

one try kid wrote:

lol.

That's funny.

I did some research and i kinda do understand why he would skip on dealers and distributors to bring in a ...more

That's just it, the markup is INSANE on parts. I worked at a shop, and from one distributor to us was nearly always 50+ PERCENT markup.

And that is that distributor making a profit off the shop!

For math sake, say a frame is retailing for 300, cost would be around 150 for that shop, the distributor (if not owned by the brand) would likely pay around 100-120 bucks for that frame.

I get that shops need to make money, I do, but I think we all can agree that DOUBLE the price for that shop is STEEP. MAYBE, if that shop would drop the cost down to say 275 (undercut some of the mail order) they could sell a few more, and come out ahead with a higher sales volume overall, AND more dedicated/repeat customers. BMXers are broke, so I see where some of this comes in. There is a need for lower priced parts that are decent. If Eastern and Haro can drop a decent frame for under 200 (The Nitrous Piston and Haro Zebra) aimed at the newer rider but they were a decent frame, why is this a terrible thing? Purely because he isn't selling through shops. That's the ONLY thing people are upset about. They don't pay attention to the lack of people currently riding parts from that brand, and think this will "flood bmx and ruin it", which it WON'T. It is another option that some may check out. That's it. Most established riders will ignore the brand/not buy from it, which means a bunch of new riders will be the only ones buying from them. How does that "kill BMX"? No one can answer it. They think it will flood BMX with their parts and stop sales across other brands, and that is simply not true.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/15/2016 3:11 AM

Everything in retail is marked up by 100%. If not the shops, whatever they sell, won't make money and will close. If they close, they can't offer the products to people that want them.

Bmx stuff usually has a lower mark up than a lot of other things, because they need to make it affordable enough so people will buy it. Example, profile in the UK has a tiny mark up, especially compared to, let's say, a tyre. A shop that sells profile will make much less off the profile stuff than it will something else. Then compare that to a clothing shop, the mark up is even higher.

I saw Sean burns Facebook post, looks like he's taken it down now. He basically said he's lost all respect for harry main for dropping the companies that got him to where he is. Sean burns didn't make that image, I'd just like to point that out

|

1/15/2016 4:06 AM

Amazing as it may seem, running a (bike) shop or a distributor does cost money. (Bike) shops pay rent and taxes and employ staff so that when someone comes in and says "hey can you help me choose a bike" or "my wheel wont turn" or "do you know where there are some good dirt jumps" there is someone there to help.
(Bike) shops depend on selling to an entire market, a GOOD bike shop will sell you your first bike, help you fix it when you inevitably break it, and then hopefully sell you bikes for the rest of your life.

If the shops lose even just that first sale, then it severely compromises their ability to survive and chances are they will disappear.
If little Timmy's dad buys him a mail-order direct bike, then chances are it will be his last. When his dad sets the forks up backwards (dont laugh this is very common, just look at a few bikes in Walmart) or jams the wrong pedal in the wrong side, then chances are Timmy will quit and go inside to play X-box instead. Or maybe Timmy fixes it himself, sooner or later he is going to break his chain or have to replace a bent hub axle and if the local shop is gone he is going to be out of his depth. If the shop is gone then he is likely to quit.

Shops WORK for their money. Sure there are shit shops who treat their customers like shit and gouge prices, but there are also lots of good shops who will bend over backwards to help kids keep riding on a shoe-string budget, will sponsor local trails and parks and competitions and riders. And this goes for many mail-orders too, look at Empire.

And distributors work for their money too, there is a cost involved in running a warehouse, supporting warranty, supporting teams, taking a hit on inventory that doesn't sell, etc etc. Distributors invest money in inventory and help the bike manufacturers sell bigger volumes which brings the price down a lot.

So direct sales companies cannot simply ship you a bike from someone's factory in China at the same price the distributor would pay, they have just moved the distribution and the shop into their own hands and they will have to cover a lot of those costs still.

BUT, if you think that the savings are worth the loss then I have some advice for you. Skip another middle man! Why pay Mafia bikes who have to pay Harry? What are they doing apart from slapping some questionable graphics on a catalogue bike with cheap materials and dodgy welds? Why not buy direct from that factory in china? A bit of searching on the internet will find you a company that will sell direct to you at a fraction of the price!!!!

|

1/15/2016 4:32 AM

I support my local shop . They are awesome even when we don't agree . They let me in the back and check out all the prices and shit and can place my own order online . I am starting to see how much they get things for cheap and charge more for profits but I don't bitch about them . They help me out a bit so I'll pay more for good service . Fuck , I even buy them candy and shit when I stop by before work .

I probably wouldn't be nearly as involved into biking as I am without them.

I enjoy the aspect of getting bikes cheaper but nothing will ever beat a good bike shop . Shout out to the Bike Zone smile

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/15/2016 1:39 PM

If what Harry is creating is such a threat (which I straight up KNOW it is not nearly as severe as everyone seems to think-the brand has minimal popularity and everyone seems to hate on dudes who change sponsors lately) then the shops will HAVE to do something to stick around, and a small discount into those prices is going to be one of those things besides more extensive services for free/discount. Shops make the bulk of their money from service, and by that I mean the highest profit margins come from the service departments. Some shops do flat rate per task, some do hourly. Some charge for basic supplies like grease/oil, some have it built into the cost for the task. Still earns the bulk of the profit for the shop.

Another thing to factor is that most shops are NOT bmx only, most cater to multiple aspects of cycling, and when BMX drops some in popularity, those shops that carry road or MTB just rearrange and fill some of the BMX space. The BMX only shops are the ones who would be in the most trouble, BUT with cheap bikes and new riders comes the need to have a shop repair it. I worked as a service manager in a shop and saw kids come in, and their parents would have sticker shock and get a "mail order" cheap branded bike from a somewhat local shop (that does some mailorder as well) for HALF the price. Two weeks later that bike was in my service department getting around 150 dollars in repairs, bridging the gap to that complete his kid was looking at that his dad said was too expensive. PLUS he didn't get the service benefits from us.

So even if you think that more kids riding these Mafia Bikes is bad, it could pretty easily become a service GOLD MINE for shops when they crap out. Parents buy shit bikes all the time, and then throw more money at those to fix them when their kid trashes em in 2 weeks. We are so fast to look at the worst case scenario in BMX, and I don't think we should be. I think these will be a "gateway" bike at most, kids start riding, trash it, and get into the "hardcore" brands. Kids will always get a bike and have things distract them (girls, cars drugs etc) or be demotivated to ride and quit. It is what it is. But NO ONE can argue that we want/need more kids riding, and this could bring in more kids who will get one from Mafia, ride it and fall in love with BMX, and UPGRADE to better things as time goes on.

NONE of us started on high end custom setups right away, and how many of us can HONESTLY say they are riding all of the same brand parts as when they started?

Why is this much different? Because people's livlihoods CAN be threatened and seem to think this company is going to EXPLODE and be the next Cult or Sunday. It's not. Plain and simple. The ONLY difference really is the questionable quality of the brand Harry went to, and the method of sales.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/15/2016 3:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2016 3:23 PM

Pretty much nothing in a bike shop is marked up 100% any more, especially frames.

If it is, than that shop isn't trying to be very competitive with what's out there online.

Even if it was marked up 100%, remember that 100% goes to paying staff, rent, insurance, utilities, advertising and a large number of other expenses before the shop makes a profit.

The direct to consumer model isn't new in the bike industry. I don't see it being the downfall of shops any time soon.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

1/15/2016 7:38 PM

There's always a line people are not gonna cross when it comes to working on their own bike, and they still turn to the local shop. If it's a $89 Walmart pos ok maybe not, but at the in-between price these are, it's not disposable really and you gotta get service and cheap parts eventually so I do feel like it's a different enough market & no reason to get bent out of shape.

if I'm buying one of these I wasn't likely to be walking into LBS and shelling out many hundreds in one shot anyway. More likely buying used nearby.

dave, I'm amazed parents just waste $$ like that. Gotta crow a bit cause I'd never not spend some time researching what the hell im paying for when it comes to something my kids ride. Kids cost a lot y'all tongue

I do find it interesting that a young, top of game name has decided to move toward a cheaper, less known entity so early rather than finding his way to a more established brand, and if he thinks it's the wave of he future or there's just not the money out there we assume there would be.

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green