Have you ever had your bike stolen? What happened ?!

Related:
Create New Tag

11/24/2020 2:17 PM

My bike got jacked a few months ago from inside my friends garage. My buddies girl left the garage door open on "Accident". We're completely convinced she did it on purpose so he couldn't ride anymore and he'd have to play house with her and her maladjusted kid 24/7.
Well, it backfired. I called her out and one thing led to another and well, he's single again.
I found his bike on craigslist and he confronted the guy. The thief was scared shitless and "gave" it back. Remember kids, violence never solves anything.. . Except when it does.. . PhotoMy bike was gone forever.

|

11/24/2020 2:54 PM

this is a good story. i like it. i haven't had a bike taken from me (yet) but i know many friends who have had theirs stolen, i am dreading the day that it will probably come but thankfully i have enough spares to build a spare bike if i ever needed to.

|

11/24/2020 3:01 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

My bike got jacked a few months ago from inside my friends garage. My buddies girl left the garage door open on "Accident". We're completely convinced she did it on purpose so he couldn't ride anymore and he'd have to play house with her and her maladjusted kid 24/7.
Well, it backfired. I called her out and one thing led to another and well, he's single again.
I found his bike on craigslist and he confronted the guy. The thief was scared shitless and "gave" it back. Remember kids, violence never solves anything.. . Except when it does.. . PhotoMy bike was gone forever.

That was so low of that chick. She had to go.

|

11/24/2020 3:26 PM

Yup. Had my 1 month old Haro stolen from outside a newsagents that id been in to buy cigarettes from. Was in the shop for all of 30 seconds, walked outside and it had vanished.

Despite being nicked from a town centre littered with CCTV, the police couldn't find anything.
Spent the best part of 2 weeks looking for it at popular spots for the local chav scum but no joy. Was absolutely gutted as it was a present from my grandparents.

A friend of mine had his nicked and got it back a few days later. By pure chance he spotted it locked up not too far from where mine was pinched. 20 mins and a pair of bolt cutters later he had it back.

|

11/24/2020 3:59 PM

I haven't, but a few of my friends have had theirs stolen and I helped get them back for them.

The best one was when I traded my spare parts bike for a laptop to the one. His friend borrowed the bike to ride somewhere and let it sit, so it got stolen like 2 weeks after getting it. Didn't hear or see anything for months until one day this kid that rode with us said he thinks he might know who has it so we paid a visit to the guy's house who was trying to sell it. I walked up & knocked on the guy's door and was like "hey man heard you got a bike you're trying to sell, I'm looking for a new one do you mind telling me about it?" he tells me "it's an Animal frame, Animal fork, uh, well pretty much Animal everything, and it's mainly blue" and right there I knew it was the bike cause it was a blue frame and I stuck Animal stickers on it EVERYWHERE.

So he brings it out, and I see my old bike and I look at my friends and nod to say that's it. This dude brings it over to me and goes "Oh by the way my name's..." and goes to shake my hand, and I cut him off telling him he can stop right there cause that shit is 100% stolen. He tells me no it's not stolen and that he built it up at the local bike shop. I tell him "gee that's funny, cause I built it up using my old parts." and started naming off the parts, where stickers were, and that there's small pressure cracks on the palm tree cutout on the gusset at the headtube (which he then looks at and gets all wide eyed)

He reaffirms that "It's not stolen man, can't be" so I go "okay want me to read the serial number off for ya too?" and read the first one, and he goes "UH ACTUALLY, it's..." and I cut him off and read the other serial number before he can and he's just in disbelief at this point and goes "...just... just take it man, whatever."

Unfortunately, his mom comes out telling us we can't take it and the person who owns the bike has to come get it. Looking back, I should've just called the cops right there but we got it back that night anyway. What happened was, I got a hold of my friend and had him meet us there after he got off work and we went up to the house. The dude comes out once again saying it's not stolen, and my friend's in no mood and just goes "Alright we can just have the cops settle this and call Ron at the bike shop who has that serial number on file since it was purchased there, knows it wasn't purchased by you and knows it's stolen." which shut him up pretty quick but his mom tells him the cops don't need to get involved and hands us the bike. My friend just goes "I don't really think you're in a position to tell me anything right now, you had stolen property." and she starts calling him an asshole and he starts yelling at her calling her a white trash bitch with a thief for a son. At that point I just kinda walked away and let them argue. He said he would be pressing charges but later told me he didn't feel like pursuing it since he got it back.

|

11/24/2020 4:39 PM

Forgot to close my garage when I went to the 711 across the street and some kid that lived nearby stole it and blocked me on everything

|

smile

11/24/2020 7:05 PM

I lent my bike to a friend for a year while I traveled. He left it out on the side of the house and it was stolen the week after I returned. I should have just gotten the thing the first day back, but I procrastinated. It was a Creamsicle Sunday New Wave on Hazard V3 and Profile Mini hubs laced to Hazard Lites, Profile cranks, Odyssey forks, with Tree/Fit/Shadow parts accompanying. I loved that bike. RIP

Photo

|

11/24/2020 7:43 PM

I had my bike stolen at knife point in Bristol city centre. Loads of skaters around and non of them believed me. 2 crack head looking guys took me and my friends bikes. We called 5.0 and gave a description. They found my friends bike dumped about an hour later and the only distinguishing thing on it was a “cops hate fbm” sticker.

Couple of days later a friend was going for a meal with his parents, saw someone on my bike, and his dad jumped out the car and took it off them. One of the happiest days of my life haha

|

11/24/2020 8:04 PM

crispyoldcraig wrote:

I lent my bike to a friend for a year while I traveled. He left it out on the side of the house and it was stolen the week after I returned. I should have just gotten the thing the first day back, but I procrastinated. It was a Creamsicle Sunday New Wave on Hazard V3 and Profile Mini hubs laced to Hazard Lites, Profile cranks, Odyssey forks, with Tree/Fit/Shadow parts accompanying. I loved that bike. RIP

Photo

that's a super cool bike

one of those frames was posted for sale on bmxmusum like 2 days ago if you want another one

|

11/24/2020 8:45 PM

I grew up in the hood so I never had a nice worth stealing UNTIL back in like 96/97 my mom's ex boyfriend gave me a chromed out Diamondback Viper. Shit was legit.

I locked in my backyard to run inside & take a shit it was one of those cheap combination bike locks. Came back out, it was gone. Still don't know what happened to it.

|

11/25/2020 1:20 AM

i forgot to mention one of my friends had his bike taken from the back of building where he had left it. someone walked in to the back of the building and took it and by chance a few days later, his friend and him saw a guy on his bike so my friend took his mates MTB and chased him down and got his bike back. was happy for him but unfortunately he doesnt ride much nowadays.

|

11/25/2020 1:46 AM

back in the early 2000's two kids pulled a knife on me and tried to steal my bike and ipod from me but I called their bluff and they literally just turned around and walked away.

|

11/25/2020 4:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2020 4:22 AM

Closest for me was a little punk kid shouting "Hey that's my bike" at me as I cruised by. I looked at him and said "No it isn't, I built it." and he didn't say anything.

Loaned a frame to a buddy and someone got into his garage and stole it built up with his parts. They had thousands of dollars in tools in that garage (his dad was a carpenter of some sort). The bike was even tucked in the back, behind stuff. We are still convinced it was one of the little shits that tagged along with us one day and followed him home. Never got it back, but oddly about 6 or 7 years after all this happened, he managed to get his old purple Profile to Alex Supra E back wheel from someone who had traded stuff for it. We tried to track through the trades to get my frame but the trail went cold.

Part of me still wonders if I will ever find that frame. It was a Failure Grade 1 that I had painted black, but hand painted a Mario 1-up mushroom on the Headtube. I also removed the spot for a seat clamp because I had a wedge post, then modified the seat tube with a seat clamp setup below the TT. It would be obvious to me.

Another buddy let a little kid (who was known for bike theft) ride his around my house. That kid took off when people were distracted. We were told he went to his uncles up the street and tried to sell it for 50 bucks, then told them that "he knew where he could get more bikes like it" (implying my house). Fortunately my buddy Ben worked with the kids mom. Called her up, told her what went down, and she went and got the bike back. That lil guy was punished however they chose to do it (I overheard the older son say something about tying him to a chair so he didn't leave while they brought the bike back-no idea if that is true). Kid got arrested like 6 weeks later for pulling a gun on someone. He was NINE at the time. Betting he is in and out of jail now.

As to my current bike(s), someone would have to break into my house and go to the right spot. I work from home, so it is rare that no one is here. My desk is about 6 feet from where my bikes are, so while I am working, I would easily know. Besides, you have to bring them out a certain way, and there is no way to do it silently with any of the bikes. They would alert me pretty fast if they tried. On top of that, I am in a small town, where the only real theft we run into is from a kid leaving a bike out at the gas station along the highway-which has happened one time that I have heard of. Unless someone took off and either hid it for a LONG time or sold it in a different state, I would find it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/25/2020 8:26 AM

crispyoldcraig wrote:

Photo

cky199 wrote:

that's a super cool bike

one of those frames was posted for sale on bmxmusum like 2 days ago if you want another one

Thanks! I rode the fuck outta that thing working overnights operating machines that basically ran themselves, so I had a lot of break time lol. Basically nobody on the streets between 2-6am, had the downtown and campus all to myself, real street rat riding. I kinda miss those days, but I'm more glad to not be a night owl anymore.

That frame is super tempting but $300 is a ludicrous price tbh. Good looking out tho.

|

11/25/2020 10:24 AM

I’ve had 3 bikes stolen when I was in high school and the only part I got back were from the Sunday Wave which were, Primo Strands, Odyssey Elementary v3, Primo Samsquanch Bars, Odyssey Vandero front wheel and Primo mix laced to a 7ka. I got them back thanks to some friends who helped look.
Bikes Stolen:
•Sunday Wave
•Fly Pantera v3
•Sunday Ian Schwartz

|

11/25/2020 5:39 PM

Had one stolen when I was a kid. These days, I keep my bike inside of my house, where I spend most of my time as I am retired. Between myself, and my family, there is almost always someone home and awake. We have security cameras, good locks, a monitored alarm, 2 German Shepard’s, and I am always armed. I don’t see anyone stealing anything from me these days.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

11/26/2020 8:25 AM

Several years ago I had my bike stolen from my deck. We were cleaning out the garage and I moved it outside for the night. The next morning it was gone. We lived in a nice neighborhood so I figured it would be ok. Nope. 3 months later I was headed to church and I saw a bunch of teenagers riding. One kid was on my bike. I pulled over and confronted him. I told him it was my bike. He told me he bought it from a friend. We argued for a couple minutes and I said I was just going to call the cops and let them figure it out. His buddies immediately started laughing at the poor guy. He finally realized I wasn't going anywhere without my bike. He tells me "Fine," and I throw it in the back of my Jeep. I get back home and he had scratched "Mexican" into the top tube and some expletives on the downtube.

2 months later someone stole it from my garage. They broke into the side door and took it. Never found those darned kids.

If you see a Solid Killing Machine with "Mexican" on the top tube. Help me out. Still salty.

I had another bike stolen when I lived in Long Beach. I guess so has almost everyone else who lived in Long Beach. Someone climbed up to our 2nd floor balcony and grabbed it. It was a Sunday Broadcaster. Fun times.

|

11/26/2020 9:21 PM

I have a pretty wild story

I caught a kid redhanded riding my bike out of my driveway last year.  I gave him a couple choices, to admit he was stealing it and we could ease the situation or I could call the cops.  He kept lying and saying his bike was the same color as mine(same custom rattle can spray haha).  He wouldn't budge, so i made him either call his Mom or I'd call the cops. 

Then the kid started to cry and said "I always do stupid stuff".  I felt bad for him, I have done many stupid things in my life.  And this was just a kid.  Anyways he called his mom, who really didn't seem to care that he had stolen my bike.  I told her she needed to get to my house now, or the police were coming.  

She shows up, I could tell the kid didn't have much.  And the mother wasn't much of the parenting type(or had just given up). She admitted he has stolen many bike parts.  So i made him promise to return the parts, and I would help him build a bike with old parts I had if he returned the parts.  He agreed and his eyes lit up, for once he felt like somebody would help him. The mother was ok with the agreement and we went our seperate ways until the kid returned the stolen parts to the owners.

I woke up the next day, went to work and got home early that night because I got a call from my sister asking if I had left thr back door open to my house.  I said of course not.  So i rushed home,  immediately saw the door and ran down into my cellar.  I immediately notice that the first 3 frames hanging from my ceiling were gone. 

I immediately called the police.  A detective showed up in 15 mins, I told him and showed how he broke in after stealing my bike.  I described the kid and his mom, and gave him the name he had given me.  It was the wrong name but it didnt matter.  The police knew exactly who it was and went to his house.  They went to the kids room and sure enough there they were.  He was in the process of taking the stickers off. 

So the 1st day; Larceny over $1000
2nd day; Breaking and entering, Larceny over $1000, Defacing in order to conceal theft, property destruction.

This is what the officers were going to charge the kid if he wasn't 10 years old...thats right 10 years old.  They couldnt do jack shit bc my state changed the laws against penalties to minors. 

|

11/26/2020 10:58 PM

This happened like 13 years ago but vid still shows what a guy Redbull Rampage announcer Cam McCaul is. Back when he was a pro mtb rider - his pro friend from Norway came to ride jumps in Aptos CA and got his bike stolen.
Just watch him and his Dad get it back, they’re fucking crazy- (need to have friends like this)

|

11/27/2020 8:20 AM

I've been pretty lucky overall, I've only had one bike stolen. It was my first decent (for the time) bike and it was the kinda rare LHD version of the old Haro Mirra 540. I spent the weekend at my dad's place and left it with my mom and my sister. It was gone when I got back on Monday because my sister had lent it to a friend to get home on the rational that I had another bike so I probably wouldn't care. On Tuesday the friend showed up without it and claimed it had been stolen from her. Her story was vague and changed a lot so I suspect she sold it or gave it away, and my parents wouldn't back me up because they thought the BMX was a kids bike and I still had a mountain bike.

I'm glad a lot has changed since the 00's, I feel like the local BMX community would be super supportive and keep an eye out for it these days.

|

11/28/2020 5:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2020 6:05 PM

This was probably somewhere around 1982-1984. I was maybe 7. I was living in Chicago at the time and at that age, I was innocent and trusting. A lowlife teenager asked if he could 'try' my bike. i said yea, and he just took off. It was a chrome, beautiful looking bike. And I remember it being big for me. Maybe a 24"?

Of course I was devastated and called my dad to tell him what happened. Parents were divorced, so he said when he saw me on the weekend, he'll get me another bike. Man, even almost 40 years later, writing about it makes me feel like shit. I wish i knew what bike it was....

2nd time was an attempted bike theft. It was roughly around 1990 in Glendale Ca. I was 15ish and riding my redline (loved that bike) late night, going home. These 2 big guys looked around 18 or 19 pushed me off the bike. they started riding away. I immediately stared screaming my ass off for help. I guess they panicked and simply left the bike a block away.

3rd time was another attempted bike theft. This time it was a set up from a "friend". Same Redlin bike, maybe a few months after the 2nd attempted theft. .He had some gang, thug guys take it off me. I was riding on my block and they encircled me and took it off of me.. I reported it to the Cops. They got my bike back maybe a week later. Cool thing was an added justice. My mom knew his parents (the so-called friend) and went to his house. His dad ended up beating him black and blue. Old fashioned justice!

Edit: actually the 2nd and 3rd bike attempt wasn't even a theft. It was robbery which is far more serious.

|

11/29/2020 9:25 AM

hoffdirt1 wrote:

I caught a kid redhanded riding my bike out of my driveway last year.  I gave him a couple choices, to admit he was stealing it and we could ease the situation or I could call the cops.  He kept lying and saying his bike was the same color as mine(same custom rattle can spray haha).  He wouldn't budge, so i made him either call his Mom or I'd call the cops. 

Then the kid started to cry and said "I always do stupid stuff".  I felt bad for him, I have done many stupid things in my life.  And this was just a kid.  Anyways he called his mom, who really didn't seem to care that he had stolen my bike.  I told her she needed to get to my house now, or the police were coming.  

She shows up, I could tell the kid didn't have much.  And the mother wasn't much of the parenting type(or had just given up). She admitted he has stolen many bike parts.  So i made him promise to return the parts, and I would help him build a bike with old parts I had if he returned the parts.  He agreed and his eyes lit up, for once he felt like somebody would help him. The mother was ok with the agreement and we went our seperate ways until the kid returned the stolen parts to the owners.

I woke up the next day, went to work and got home early that night because I got a call from my sister asking if I had left thr back door open to my house.  I said of course not.  So i rushed home,  immediately saw the door and ran down into my cellar.  I immediately notice that the first 3 frames hanging from my ceiling were gone. 

I immediately called the police.  A detective showed up in 15 mins, I told him and showed how he broke in after stealing my bike.  I described the kid and his mom, and gave him the name he had given me.  It was the wrong name but it didnt matter.  The police knew exactly who it was and went to his house.  They went to the kids room and sure enough there they were.  He was in the process of taking the stickers off. 

2nd day; Breaking and entering, Larceny over $1000, Defacing in order to conceal theft, property destruction.

This is what the officers were going to charge the kid if he wasn't 10 years old...thats right 10 years old.  They couldnt do jack shit bc my state changed the laws against penalties to minors. 

DAMN man this is wild. What the fuck is wrong with people? Thats awesome he got caught tho good shit mate.

|

11/29/2020 9:31 AM

T-Dawgg wrote:

This happened like 13 years ago but vid still shows what a guy Redbull Rampage announcer Cam McCaul is. Back when he was a pro mtb rider - his pro friend from Norway came to ride jumps in Aptos CA and got his bike stolen.
Just watch him and his Dad get it back, they’re fucking crazy- (need to have friends like this)

Yesssss good shit :} Fucking meth heads. God damn. Dude's lucky he didn't get laid out XD

|

11/29/2020 8:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2020 8:18 PM

hoffdirt1 wrote:

surrealsickness wrote:

DAMN man this is wild. What the fuck is wrong with people? Thats awesome he got caught tho good shit mate.

I look at it a bit different then just "oh he's a bad kid" being that I have kids myself. The sad thing is, who our parents are and our environment is everything. This kid most likely doesnt know hid dad or dad isnt in his life. No structure or discipline at home whatsoever. Mom is off doing who knows what. He would be a whole different person, had he been raised in another household. Crazy how that works. Kinda sad. He can still change his life around when he gets older but wont be easy. I would love to be a big brother for one of these kids in that big brother program. Either way though, it sucks that after you offer to help, he still decides to backstab you. Glad you got your stuff back.

|

12/28/2020 3:34 AM

back in the day I was wearing an s&m shirt at school and a friend of mine was telling me he had an old bike with the same logo on it. I didn't believe him but he told me he found it in a bush by his house when he was a kid and he took it home and cleaned it up. I asked him to bring it to school since he walked to school everyday but he refused. finally one day he told me he brought it to show it to me.

after school we walked to the bike rack and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. it was chrome with gold and purple anodized parts and s&m pads. If I remember correctly it was an early s&m mad dog. it had profile cranks, slam bars and super knobby tires. I don't know if it was stock but I wanted it. I offered him I think $400 for it (not knowing what if it was worth anything outside of the cool factor) but he refused.

about a week later he told me he left it outside of his garage and it got stolen. I think I was more mad than he was because I knew if I bothered him enough, eventually he might have sold me the bike.

|