Haven’t ridden BMX since the 80’s!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/11/2017 6:32 PM

Damn I’m old! Back then we used to like dirt jumps & BMX Racing. Now I’m 44 & thinking of getting a pair of BMX bikes for me & my son to ride around on. What do y’all suggest for a decent BMX without spending a ton of money JIC my son ends up not liking it. I’m 5’7” 190lbs & he’s 5’8” 160lbs

|

10/11/2017 6:39 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Damn I’m old! Back then we used to like dirt jumps & BMX Racing. Now I’m 44 & thinking of getting a pair of BMX bikes ...more

I would recommend this bike for both of you since you guys are both the same height and weight...http://www.easternbikes.com/shovelhead
But this bike is more suited to park/street... what type of riding were you and your son planning on doing though?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/11/2017 6:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2017 6:52 PM

Dude!!! I was in the same boat about 5 years ago. I am 48, and I still have and ride my 88 Mongoose Californian Pro, but am also looking for a new bike eventually.

It is so different now, but still a blast! My step-son's interest got me back into it, and it has been a mental savior for me!! I can't believe I ever got out of it. I continued to ride mountain bikes. Recently, our typical Sunday is BMXing in the morning at the skatepark and then MTB in the evening...total Zen!!!! It also helped me get through my first heart attack 4 months ago...the best physical therapy ever!

Here is some help as to what to look for:

Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bear weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay....full Chromoly
fork: both the steering tube and the legs...full Chromoly
the handle bars...full Chromoly
the crank arms and pedal axels....full Chromoly

Rims should be welded double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing.

the closest thing to the geo we were used to is a bike more suited for trails: 74* HT; mid length chainstay...like 13.5" The typical bike now-a-days is set up for street riding, with a 75* (or higher) HT angle, and much shorter chainstays.

Some great bikes that will be a good bang for the buck are and fit the criteria above are:

Hoffman Bama
Mongoose Legion L1
Eastern Shovelhead

these bikes are all below $450, which is great for bikes with their structural specs. Normally, a full Chromo bike with all of the criteria above is over $500.

Some other companies to look at in that upper price range are:
Sunday
Verde
WeThePeople(WTP)
Colony
Subrosa

I personally have been eyeing up a Verde Luxe, but recent;y have also been checking out the Colony Inception and the Eastern Shovelhead.

You could also do a custom build, which will put you more in the $600-$1000 dollar range, but it would be a sweet machine with great parts.

I would love to do a custom build, but right now, my budget will keep me in the world of a decent complete to start.

Check out some of the bike checks on here to see what people are riding and using. Some very tuff looking bikes!!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/11/2017 7:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 5:26 AM

These are all good suggestions above. I, too, rode back in the 80's & decided on a new bike recently as I felt my old Mongoose decade pro was not the best to be beating so I picked up the Shovelhead. &, honestly, I think it's the best deal going for the money & quality. Speaking purely from an economics standpoint, the Mongoose Legion L100 is a hell of a deal! The Bama is on par with the shovel. For the same money, you can also look into Fit bikes. For $399, you get a full chromo frame fork, etc. I'd put them behind the shovel and Bama, however, because their parts list is lacking a bit. Outside of those new bikes, you can look thru the CL & FB marketplace for a couple good used bikes. You just have to do your research to be sure you are getting whatever you really want. Which brings up the essential question, what do you (two) plan to do with the bikes? Are you just planning on cruising around the neighborhood? If that's the extent of it, you can get away with something much cheaper new or used. In fact, I'd bet you could get something decent for the two of you (to cruise on) for under $200 for the both of you (used). Now if you are planning on getting into the sport on a more serious level (learning tricks, jumping, etc...) you should probably go with something full chromo. Frame, fork, bars, cranks. That will cost you a bit more, however, so you should have a good idea of your plans beforehand.

|

10/12/2017 3:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 3:17 AM

sXeBMXer
It is so different now, but still a blast! My step-son's interest got me back into it, and it has been a mental savior for me!! I can't believe I ever got out of it. I continued to ride mountain bikes. Recently, our typical Sunday is BMXing in the morning at the skatepark and then MTB in the evening...total Zen!!!! It also helped me get through my first heart attack 4 months ago...the best physical therapy ever!
So much this.

At 46 I am gutted that I stopped riding for 15 years, when I started again it was like a part of me had been missing. I am also gutted that my first experience with a MTB 20 years ago put me off it until last year. I am loving both BMX and MTB, my only regret is that I left it so late (that and the fact I can't get my kids into it, the youngest was but has been put off by a couple of bad slams I had).
|

10/12/2017 4:52 AM

Another great story to hear people over 30 getting back on the bike!

I got back on a BMX after 15 years and picked up a secondhand WeThePeople Curse complete for £40, new grips/tryes and it was good to go, I haven't had any issues.

Start out like this as you will eventually end up being loads of aftermarket parts anyway.

Get riding and get pics up!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

10/12/2017 5:29 AM

Ramorak wrote:
sXeBMXer
It is so different now, but still a blast! My step-son's interest got me back into it, and it has been a mental ...more
"At 46 I am gutted that I stopped riding for 15 years, when I started again it was like a part of me had been missing."

I cannot agree with this more. It was always like that & even though I don't think we noticed it at the time, once it was gone, you missed it.

What put you off MTB so early?
|

10/12/2017 5:40 AM

I'm 36, got back into riding about 3 years ago. Before that I'd only ever go a couple of years without ending up back on a bmx. I originally quit due to injury, and every time I started again, I'd quit again out of fear of making old injuries worse.

Turns out my old hips and knees have never felt better!

You get what you pay for. Although the mongoose, and some if the other bikes might look good on paper, they save money on production costs by putting cheap parts on the bikes.

If you can gain a bit of product knowledge (which we'd be happy to help with), your best bet is buying used. So many kids start riding, leave school, get a job, build a badass bike, then discover cars, girls and clubs. They quit riding and sell a £1200 bike for £200. It's nuts. Join a few Facebook buy/sell groups and you'll see there's loads of bikes and parts

|

10/12/2017 6:13 AM

grumpySteve is on the money, I got my bike from Facebook market place. I'm buying another just because they come up so cheap, it's crazy.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

10/12/2017 6:30 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote: "At 46 I am gutted that I stopped riding for 15 years, when I started again it was like a part of me had been missing."

I ...more

My first experience was in mid-winter, on my mates spare bike with no suspension whatsoever. It was raining, bloody cold and the chain snapped twice on the way round. I was also dressed in all the wrong gear so it was just a miserable day out smile If only I had given it a second chance. . .

|

10/12/2017 9:56 AM

Thanks for all the replies folks! Glad to see alota older cats are riding BMX still! I’m hoping this will help with my health issues as too! Need to get my sugar, cholesterol, & a bit of weight down lol! My son & I will probably just ride em around the neighborhood. Not sure if we’ll be doing any jumping right away. I may if we find some dirt jumps around here, but I’m pretty sure my son won’t attempt anything right away. Never rode in any skatepark style places back then. It really was different. Ive been looking on CL & see quite a mixed bunch. Hopefully I can get lucky. Otherwise I see the Mongoose Legion L100 going for like $240 shipped from Amazon. What do y’all think of the Framed bikes? If I don’t find a used one from CL I was thinking of the $119 Framed Impact XL for my son just to get him started on riding around.
Any opinions on these?
http://www.the-house.com/qfrimpxl20bb17zz-framed-bmx-bikes.html

|

10/12/2017 10:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 10:20 AM

Both great entry level bikes for what you're asking, as a 37 year old who got back into riding, I did what you did and bought a 250$ bike and wound up putting 300 into it, sold it and just should have bought the 750 dollar one, so my advice is get yourself something a bit better if you can afford it, in all honesty if I was in the situation you are in for buying 2 bikes my budget would be 1200 to 1400 for both as even a 500 dollar complete is still iffy. Ride the goose till it breaks but I'd say buy the goose for the kid and something a bit better like an eastern etc for yourself. My 2 cents, let's us know.

|

10/12/2017 10:52 AM

Yeah fb/cl is a good spot I got a full custom bike for 240 cad off of it and it still goes I just ordered some new parts last week cause things are finally breaking

|

Ride till you die

10/12/2017 5:54 PM

Hi, Similar story here. Rode BMX into my early 20's and am just picking it up again at 37 due to my 6 year old son loving to ride BMX. I am pretty heavy and wanted full chromo and double wall rims. The Kink Liberty meets those and can be had for $400ish if you can find a %10 percent coupon code. I have had it for 4 months and it has been so much fun. It has held up to a lot of cased jumps and hard landings. I would def recommend. Have fun riding with your son!

|

10/12/2017 8:02 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Both great entry level bikes for what you're asking, as a 37 year old who got back into riding, I did what you did and bought ...more

My youtube review of the Mongoose.

I think it is great quality for the price!

Only things that were of questionable quality that I personally wouldnt trust are the stem, sprocket and pedals. Everything else is more than enough for the majority of riders even the parts I mentioned would probably hold up just fine for most riders.
|

4/18/2020 12:32 PM

Hey all ,
Since lockdown I've been doing a lot of walking I was in Sheffield and stumbled across a bmx track .......Took me straight bk to my youth and I was in awe anyway since that day I've done nothing but think about getting back on a bmx after 30 years some of the posts on here have spured me on and I've found a bike on an auction site going to pick it up tomorrow I may be 45 but feel 15 again lol

THANKYOU ALL !!!!!

|