Haven't seen any real posts on 22"ers

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2017 10:54 AM

What are your thoughts on 22's? They aren't really new any longer but still haven't gotten a ton of traction (it seems) in the BMX world. I know people who have gotten them & swear by them but I just haven't seen the popularity going anywhere. Anyone else have a different experience? Anyone heard of people riding street on a 22" (wheel) bike? I know they were generally geared toward trail riding rather than street but don't know if that has changed. Never ridden one myself but would love to give one a spin.

|

9/25/2017 12:22 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

What are your thoughts on 22's? They aren't really new any longer but still haven't gotten a ton of traction (it seems) in the BMX world. I know people who have gotten them & swear by them but I just haven't seen the popularity going anywhere. Anyone else have a different experience? Anyone heard of people riding street on a 22" (wheel) bike? I know they were generally geared toward trail riding rather than street but don't know if that has changed. Never ridden one myself but would love to give one a spin.

I almost bought a 22" they are very interesting to me. I feel like they would be a perfect choice for someone that focuses less on tricks and more on flow.

|

9/25/2017 12:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2017 12:29 PM

There's a big thread on the museum on 22's. WeThePeople just put a vid out to promote the Audio. I can't look for it right now.

I almost bought a BF 22 last year but it wasn't full chromo(think it is this year)and cost the same as my Atlas which is full chromo. I'll look for that vid when I get back from the dentist.

|

9/26/2017 7:32 AM

I have a friend that is waiting on an DK "General Lee" 22. I am really anxious to try it out.

|

9/26/2017 8:00 AM

I think the WTP vid is a trails video anyway. I'll look again in a bit. My kid is puking EVERYWHERE so things are a little hectic here.

I think a 22 would be really fun. I ride a 24 and it's fun but it would be nice if it were a bit more nimble sometimes. Stolen makes a 22 this year too. I could be remembering wrong but I think that one has a bit more of a streety geometry.

|

9/26/2017 8:38 AM

I've had a few 22's over the years.

https://bmxunion.com/daily/the-rise-of-22-bikes-bmx/

one of those pictures was taken in my kitchen. lol

I currently have the United 22. I had to gear it down a bit as my knees don't like hard gearing, which made the backend longer than I would normally want. I could grind the frame down and run a half link, I just haven't done that yet.

22's are fun as fuck on big, fast stuff. But I've seen guys do tech street stuff on them too. So don't rule them out for that.

I think once a few kids start sending some big stair sets and stuff on 22's , more kids will open their eyes to them.

surfers and snowboarders use different sized boards for different sized waves and snow conditions. I don't see how wheel size is any different.

|

9/26/2017 9:05 AM

pnj wrote:

I've had a few 22's over the years.

https://bmxunion.com/daily/the-rise-of-22-bikes-bmx/

one of those pictures was taken in my kitchen. lol

I currently have the United 22. I had to gear it down a bit as my knees don't like hard gearing, which made the backend longer than I would normally want. I could grind the frame down and run a half link, I just haven't done that yet.

22's are fun as fuck on big, fast stuff. But I've seen guys do tech street stuff on them too. So don't rule them out for that.

I think once a few kids start sending some big stair sets and stuff on 22's , more kids will open their eyes to them.

surfers and snowboarders use different sized boards for different sized waves and snow conditions. I don't see how wheel size is any different.

Hey... you're pseudo famous (or at least you bike & Stove & cabinets are)! Yeah, I kust find t he idea of a 22" intriguing because I'm tall & always appreciated the roominess of a 24 but felt it was still a bit big for technical stuff (great on jumps, tho). So I'm thinking a 22 might be in my future. I'm not jumping the gun tho. Just wanted to see what everyone was thinking. The topic seems to pop up for a moment here & there.

|

9/26/2017 9:28 AM

wheel sizes has nothing to do with rider height though. I never understood why people think that.

small people KILL IT on 26 inch wheel bikes and tall people KILL IT on 20 inch wheel bikes.

It's about frame size. top tube length, etc.

22's don't give you that 'rear tire in the butt' that 24's do. and you shouldn't get toe drag on the front tire when you do x-up's, etc.

|

9/26/2017 10:07 AM

pnj wrote:

wheel sizes has nothing to do with rider height though. I never understood why people think that.

small people KILL IT on 26 inch wheel bikes and tall people KILL IT on 20 inch wheel bikes.

22's don't give you that 'rear tire in the butt' that 24's do. and you shouldn't get toe drag on the front tire when you do x-up's, etc.

Probably because most larger wheel frames have longer top tubes, longer back ends, larger frames in general. I've never seen a 22" top tube on a 20" bike. I'm sure they exist but they are uncommon.

If I could afford it and I had the space I'd have 20, 22, 24, 26 just for shits and giggles. I am going to buy a large 20" bike this winter and monkey around on it. I tried riding a 20 when I bought my 24 and it was too weird after 15 years of not riding. I think I could get used to a 20 after a year of riding the 24 though. I'd grab a used 22 if can find one for 350sih(Canadian rubles)but that is unlikely.

Here's a bunch of links to completes if anyone cares and to make up for wandering slightly off topic"

WTP Audio

Stolen Spade

DK General Lee

DK Vega

United KF-22

Fit BF-22

Looks like they updated the Fit and now it's full chromo and the bars are full chromo. Same price though. I'd be pissed if I bought last years(I almost did). WTF were they thinking cheaping out on the bars and frame like that last year? Chromo crossbar. Woohoo. Why even bother? They did that on a lot their completes in 2017. There completes that were priced the same or higher than bikes with similar specs that were full chromo. A lot of people pointed that stuff out last year and it looks like Fit was paying attention and that's great.

|

9/26/2017 10:20 AM

pnj wrote:

I'm aware of frame size. The point isn't about the wheel size. I only used that as a reference, just like everyone refers to BMX bikes as 20" bikes which is just the wheel size, not the actual frame size. That said, the 22's generally have larger dimensions across the board... including the TT. You'd be very hard pressed to find a 23" TT on a 20" Standard BMX bike.

|

9/26/2017 11:21 AM

Along the lines of frame size v. wheel size & who makes a larger bike, the only 20" frame I've seem that's available in 22" is an S&M ATF. Any other manufacturers out there make a 22 TT or bigger in a 20"?

|

9/26/2017 8:10 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Along the lines of frame size v. wheel size & who makes a larger bike, the only 20" frame I've seem that's available in 22" is an S&M ATF. Any other manufacturers out there make a 22 TT or bigger in a 20"?

I don't think anyone does unless you custom order something.

|

9/26/2017 8:23 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

MacNeil used to make the deuce deuce I don't think they're doing frames or much of anything anymore but you could find a used one. I think they even had 22.5 or something too back when

|

@coupd_tat

9/26/2017 11:23 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I don't think anyone does unless you custom order something.

I have to say, custom frames are the way forward. Mines spot on and I'll never need another frame again. Whereas my friends are constantly changing their frames for a slightly different feel. A lot of people buy a frame without considering all aspects of the geometry (no one seems to care much about bb height, but it's one of the most important things that will affect how a bike will ride).

I've contemplated 22", but it would never be my main ride. I rode a 24" street mtb for a while, really liked it at the time, until I realised I was spending loads of money to make it feel more like a bmx (I even got an edit on psbmx, my claim to fame hehe). 20" bmx with enough thought is perfect for everything, so I see no real need to change it

|

9/27/2017 9:38 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Colony made the Castaway in 22"tt which I have. I'm only 5'10" and it feels great. I also ride a ton of mtb so the long ass bike helps with the switching back and forth. S&M makes the ATF in a 22"tt like you said, but I don't know of any others off the top of my head.

|

9/27/2017 11:49 AM

Ive got the Fit BF22 and man its fun. Im 25 and to the point where if I'm injured i cant work, and if I cant work I cant pay the bills. It's a blast to ride all over town. Im a small dude (5'6'' 132lb) and can hop and manual it pretty easy. Its a blast to hop up and down small ledges and stair sets and try to manny every thing while looking for good transitions.

|

4/11/2019 1:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2019 1:46 PM

Love em! I actually have a signature from from Pedal Driven coming out this spring. Its more of a street geo 22" frame that will have a more aggressive geo.
|

Make BMX Metal Again!

Pedal Driven Cycles www.pedaldrivencycles.com

Mainline Outdoors www.mainlineoutdoors.bigcartel.com

4/11/2019 1:47 PM

|

Make BMX Metal Again!

6/8/2019 12:05 PM

The new Pedal Driven Cycles Operator 22" Frame.

|

Make BMX Metal Again!

6/8/2019 1:21 PM

stahl4130 wrote:

The new Pedal Driven Cycles Operator 22" Frame.

whats the shortest rear end can you run on a duece duece. been thinking of doing an aggressive street geo 24 or 22 with like 76ht and short cs. really lovin ur setup

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/8/2019 2:19 PM

For the sake of this particular topic, I ended up buying a Framed Defendant Pro 22" and replacing everything but the frame, brakes, rims, spokes.

It is awesome for dirt jumps and basic stuff like flowing around at skateparks.

|

6/9/2019 3:59 PM

Just hooked up my little 6 foot 3 tall cousin with an encore 22 inch complete , he’s stoked

|