Related:
Create New Tag
Mad Mars Mad Mars
3/1/2021 1:26 PM

Hi guys,

I re-sprayed my frame which has unsealed bearings (yeah IK it's shit).

When putting it back together the bottom of the headset is fine (where the fork connects to the steer tube) but the top side of the headset just seems off and nothing is missing.

I slide the looseball bearings in first, then two spacers and finally seal it with the widest ring. When I put my forks on the fork is moving around and loose.

I'm sure this is a common issue for noobs and you guys will know in black and white what things are happening. I would like to stress that no spacer is missing.

Cheers.

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

p1p1092 p1p1092
3/1/2021 1:29 PM

Is your dust cover hitting your frame? Might need a little filing to account for thicker paint.

Post some pictures of your headset just assembled on the fork, away from the frame.

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

Mad Mars Mad Mars
3/1/2021 1:45 PM
p1p1092 wrote:

Is your dust cover hitting ...more

Please check the video fully, if you don't mind (for others to watch too)

xd

DanTheBikerMan DanTheBikerMan
3/1/2021 1:54 PM

You’re probably gonna catch flack on here for wearing gloves but props to you for doing so.

Is it still loose and wobbling when you put the stem and compression bolt on and tighten it all down?

My forks still wiggle a little bit before everything is fully assembled. Have on every bike I’ve worked on. Get it fully assembled and let us know

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

Mad Mars Mad Mars
3/1/2021 2:00 PM
DanTheBikerMan wrote:

You’re probably gonna ...more

Alright will let you know

p1p1092 p1p1092
3/1/2021 2:04 PM

Haven't dealt with one of those in a few years now but I'd agree with what Dan said. There will pretty much always be some slack there until the stem is on and the top cap tightened down. Don't go too crazy on tightening the top cap either; just enough to get rid of any play.

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

.pegless. .pegless.
3/1/2021 2:22 PM

The widest should go on first, it's like a seal to prevent dust getting in. Other than that it looks like the correct order to me. Fill er with grease, put the top cap on, put your stem on, and tighten the compression bolt. Don't forget it'll probably need to bed in a little and might feel rough. Snug it up, give it a test ride, then double check everything and make sure it's still all snugged up

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals »

THE SHOP