Having trouble doing manuals/pulling up front wheel

Related:
Create New Tag

12/26/2017 6:48 PM

So I just got a brand new Fit Hango for Christmas (I actually bought it myself online) and I wanted to learn bunny hops (the J-Hop kind). I watched a couple of videos and they said to move your weight from back to front, picking up the front wheel while leaning back then throwing your body forward and bring the back along. I tried this technique, but I can't even get my front wheel off the ground leaning back. These videos make it look so easy, they say leaning back as far as you can and you will loop out, but that isn't the case for me. I haven't even looped out once. I leaned all the way back, my butt almost touching the back wheel, and the front wheel doesn't even think of going up. I give it a tug and still nothing. Moving up down and all around does nothing. Centering myself and pulling up (like a wheelie) will get the tire up but otherwise it's stationary. I'm a younger rider so I only weigh about 100 pounds and the bike is around 26... is that the problem? Any help is much appreciated.

|

12/26/2017 6:53 PM

The weight of your bike is not the problem no... but it's hard to tell what you're doing wrong with out seeing what you're actually doing... so if you can put up a video or something that would help us help you..

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/26/2017 7:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 7:11 PM

Practice hitting/pumping something with the front tire to help bring it up. After doing that for a while, you will build up the muscle memory with what to do.

When I was a kid, we had a tar driveway with a concrete pad for parked cars. The concrete had a raised lip about an inch over the tar. I would use that as leverage for pop.

My kids, I pretty much did the same thing but used a 1x thick board then moved onto a 2x4 board so they got the muscle memory down then able to use the 2x4 to jump/hop over.

I would not try on something as thick as a 2x at first since it might send you over the bars till you get a feel for what is going on.

|

12/26/2017 7:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 10:16 PM

Like Honda said, it's hard to tell without video. But, if you are just learning, break it down into the smallest of bits. Ride along on your bike with your pedals level. While doing that, shift your weight backwards & pull up (back) on the handlebars. This is essentially how you'd begin a bunny hop and a manual. That really all I can tell you at this point. It all takes time & part of the "time" for a pure beginner is REALLY getting used to your bike.

|

12/26/2017 7:19 PM

Also you said this is your first bike... before doing tricks just ride your bike and get comfortable with your bike and the way it responds to what you do... and then after getting some bike control then start trying hops and manuals... I'd just say maybe ride up and down your street with some friends or something then start trying stuff after yiu get comfortable with it... I think It would be a smart idea... that's what I did when I first got my bike a long time ago... I went on a full out 15 mile ride and then I was super comfortable with my bike... and then I stared progressing and I was'nt scared becasue I was comfortable with my bike...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/26/2017 9:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2017 9:50 PM

My advice is to learn how to jump out of a ramp first, so you get the feel of leveling out the bike in the air without the struggle of getting yourself into the air.

Also, practice practice practice! It took me months to learn how to bunny hop (please don't call it a "J hop") when I first started out, and even longer to be able to hop up small curbs and such.

I also finally learned how to bunny hop by standing on my rear pegs and trying them. This made it much easier to get the front wheel up, and then it was just a matter of using a pretty typical jumping motion to get the rear wheel off the ground. Once I figured that out, I knew exactly how to do them on the pedals aswell.

& manuals are actually a pretty complex trick that require a ton of practice and figuring out. Learn how to wheelie first so you can get a feel for balancing on the rear wheel for good distances.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/26/2017 9:56 PM

I prefer "American hop" and "English hop". They are two different types; both are relevant but the American hop is used almost exclusively for most tricks that require you to hop.

|

12/27/2017 12:43 AM

Sounds to me like you're literally shifting your weight without lifting the bike up. But for the majority of the hop you need to keep your weight central.
Jerk your weight backwards and pull on the bars to get yourself into the beginning of a manual position, knees bent arms straight. As the front wheel comes up you start to centralise your weight, bend your arms and straighten your legs. As your legs become straight, hop, as if you're on a pogo stick, bend your knees and push your arms straight again. Other than the initial lifting of the front wheel, your weight should be central.

A real easy way of learning is by doing an endo against a wall, pull your back brake, as your back wheel lands lift the front and try to hop on your back wheel. Once you can do one hop, keep your back brake pulled and try to hop more than once, see how many times you can hop. Or even just see how long you can balance on your back wheel with the brake pulled. This will help build the muscles you use when you hop, and muscle memory.

|

12/27/2017 6:26 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I prefer "American hop" and "English hop". They are two different types; both are relevant but the American hop is used almost ...more

What on earth is the difference and why are they named after places? Do you mean the bronco hop vs bunnyhop crap that has plagued this site and BMX as a whole for years?
There are bunnyhops and there are 2 wheel hops(pulling both wheels up at the same time). The only reason to do the 2 wheel variation is a complete lack of technique. An actual bunnyhop will get you a lot more height with half the effort in my experience. A hop is a hop, just with varying degrees of technique...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/27/2017 6:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 6:44 AM

Can we please just call it a bunny hop? Just when I thought I heard them all... There is no reason to ever even learn how to hop both wheels at the same time. It's almost entirely useless. Don't bother. And the last time I checked js don't hop at all, and bunny's don't hop with both legs at the same time, so why change the name?

|

12/27/2017 6:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 6:58 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Can we please just call it a bunny hop? Just when I thought I heard them all... There is no reason to ever even learn how to ...more

THANK YOU! YES...it isn't a "j hop". It's a bunny hop & always has been. I never even heard anyone refer to a bunny hop as a "j hop" until recent years. & The whole "both wheels at the same time" hop, or "English hop", as far as I'm concerned is a beginner thing only because a beginner doesn't (didn't) know any better. When I was a kid, I did that, until I saw a friends brother do a real bunny hop. Never looked back.

|

12/27/2017 7:04 AM

Also make sure your wrist are bent to be level with the ground NOT 90° with the ground.

I.E Make sure your knuckles are pointed forward rather than pointed towards the ground when you pull up the bars, the leverage when pulling up and back is better with your Knuckles pointed forward-also easier on the wrists.

Even now in like manuals and Hops onto bigger platforms I find changing(steepening) my wrist angle helps.

|

12/27/2017 7:19 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Can we please just call it a bunny hop? Just when I thought I heard them all... There is no reason to ever even learn how to ...more

This!

There's only one good way to hop, anything else is stupidity or a lack of technique...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/27/2017 8:37 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Can we please just call it a bunny hop? Just when I thought I heard them all... There is no reason to ever even learn how to ...more

I might just be being too technical, but doing the little two tire hops is how I get into footjam whips and out of smiths, so I'd say it's not horrible to know how to do it.

I also learned 180s by hopping like that and it stuck with me through learning 360s and 540s. It wasn't until a couple years ago that i forced myself to actually hop up in the air before yankin those spins. I don't recommend learning spins this way though, it only makes it harder when it comes time for new tricks like 360s or 180bars.. And somehow I can 180 bar like that but not regularly, it bugs the shit out of me and they look god awful.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/27/2017 9:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 9:35 AM

Lock your arms, bend at the knees, squat back over the rear wheel and kinda shove your feet down and forward while you pick the bars up. It honestly sounds like your problem is commitment. If you haven't looped out on a manual attempt yet, you're not trying hard enough. (not a knock on you personally, even the best pros started off doing things wrong)

In your post you say "the bars don't even think about going up" because the bars are an inanimate object man! Your bike is a tool, without a proper user, it's useless. Your weight, comfort, muscle input and balance all contribute to doing tricks.

You'll definitely get it. Sometimes I have sessions where I don't progress at all, then some times I'll go out and manual for 15 solid feet without even thinking about it.

As a former J (I was told they're called "jet hops") hopper, I have to agree. Pulling the front then the back up not only looks better, it's far easier to get up and onto things that way. It just works.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/27/2017 11:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 12:48 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Can we please just call it a bunny hop? Just when I thought I heard them all... There is no reason to ever even learn how to ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

This!

There's only one good way to hop, anything else is stupidity or a lack of technique...

There are uses for both. Just because a tool is used less often than a hammer or a drill, does not make it any less important.

More tools equal more work (read fun) that can be accomplished!

|

12/27/2017 11:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 11:42 AM

Foot jam whips. I actually don't believe i know anyone who properly hops into footjam whips. Also, the same motion is applied when learning how to hop out of Smiths without hanging up.

Everyone learns differently. I personally would have never learned 180s or 360s or even 540s without hopping thata way. I don't do them like that anymore, as I'm more experienced now and have spent a lot of time reteaching myself how to do them properly.

Also, I recall a guy riding for Shadow many years back, who only did 2 tire hops and still shredded harder and hopped higher than anyone in this forum. Can't think of his name, but I believe the edit I watched was posted around 2010/11.

It's freestyle, who cares how people hop or learn tricks aslong as they're having fun? You guys are adding too many unspoken rules to a free and joyful activity.dizzy

Edit; I guess p1p1092 deleted his comment referring to double tire hops being entirely pointless, this was initially a reply to that

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/27/2017 11:40 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

There are uses for both. Just because a tool is used less often than a hammer or a drill, does not make it any less important. ...more

I've been riding for a long time now and have yet to find a use for the 2 wheel hop. Please, point out a valid use for it.

More tools usually just means half of them sit there, collect dust and get in your way. Why would you want 50 different types of hammers if just one of them would be good enough for everything you might want a hammer for?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/27/2017 11:43 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I've been riding for a long time now and have yet to find a use for the 2 wheel hop. Please, point out a valid use for it.

...more

See comment above..

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/27/2017 11:52 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

There are uses for both. Just because a tool is used less often than a hammer or a drill, does not make it any less important. ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I've been riding for a long time now and have yet to find a use for the 2 wheel hop. Please, point out a valid use for it.

...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

See comment above..

Lol

|

12/27/2017 11:55 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

This!

There's only one good way to hop, anything else is stupidity or a lack of technique...

Bulletpup wrote:

There are uses for both. Just because a tool is used less often than a hammer or a drill, does not make it any less important. ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I've been riding for a long time now and have yet to find a use for the 2 wheel hop. Please, point out a valid use for it.

...more

Check out some of spencer foresman's videos. He uses it to "walk" his bike up steps.

Im sure there are other uses for the technique as well.

No trick or technique is irrelevant. Its all bike control

|

12/27/2017 11:56 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

See comment above..

I still can't see why anyone would do it that way, I've always just seen it as lack of technique and something you have to reteach yourself to hop to get rid of. I did it for the first 4 months on my bike and hated it, taught myself to hop properly and haven't looked back since. It's a bad habit that's hard to kick.

I see a lot of park riders hop like that on the odd occasion that I get them to a street spot and they always complain about how shit it is to have to hop into/onto/over everything instead of letting the ramp do the work.

I learned 5s and whips hop but it was hard enough that way, I can't see how anyone would learn them 2 wheel hopped. It took me 7 months of on and off trying, to land my first whip and 4 to land my first 5. Must've been hell to learn 2 wheel hopped.

On the footjam whip point, I've always found it's more like a nollie.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/27/2017 12:16 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I still can't see why anyone would do it that way, I've always just seen it as lack of technique and something you have to ...more

Eh, when I was 13 I didn't know any better. In fact, I didn't even know I wasn't hopping "properly", I thought it was pretty usual to hop like that for spins. And I learned my 540s fly out, so I used the double tire method/motion to keep myself from spinning off axis and nose diving, which was a huge problem for me when hopping normally. I can do them regularly now, but in my opinion, my first ever 540 was my cleanest and best feeling one, and it was double tire hopped as shit.My first ever 540 is at the end of this Instagram video. And now that I bring up this video, I also realized my feeble-easy-360s use that same double tire hop method, and that's easily my most favorite and fun to do trick.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/27/2017 12:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2017 12:48 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

See comment above..

p1p1092 wrote:

I still can't see why anyone would do it that way, I've always just seen it as lack of technique and something you have to ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Eh, when I was 13 I didn't know any better. In fact, I didn't even know I wasn't hopping "properly", I thought it was pretty ...more

If it works, it's not improper, it's just a different way.wink

|

12/27/2017 12:48 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Eh, when I was 13 I didn't know any better. In fact, I didn't even know I wasn't hopping "properly", I thought it was pretty ...more

Street as heck at a park. I like your riding.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/27/2017 12:52 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Eh, when I was 13 I didn't know any better. In fact, I didn't even know I wasn't hopping "properly", I thought it was pretty ...more

Huh, I don't get to ride flyout or anything of the sort very often, I learn everything hop. I guess if it helps deal with nosedive, it could be useful but I can't imagine going back to that kind of hop.

I can't speak for easy spins as I have a bit of a mind-block with them but for hard spins, I always just hop as high as I can and as far away from the ledge as possible, the spin just happens. I find if I don't pull up hard enough, the back wheel clips the ledge, is it not the same with easy spins?.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/27/2017 1:30 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Huh, I don't get to ride flyout or anything of the sort very often, I learn everything hop. I guess if it helps deal with ...more

I can hop decently high on hard spins aswell. They're hard because you have to clear the ledge with the hop. Easy spins are easy (as fuck) because essentially you're just spinning off of the ledge. The only time I struggled with clipping a ledge on an easy spin was in Louisville on this weird curved ledge.. for some season the curved ledge set me up for tooth chinking the 90degree on the way off the ledge. Just had to go faster to get away from the ledge haha.

Here's my clips from Louisville, that you just reminded me I've been forgetting to post.grin First trick is a hard spin, last trick is the easy spin off the curved ledge, & there's a footjam whip somewhere in between.smile

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/27/2017 4:11 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Street as heck at a park. I like your riding.

Thanks dawg!
I actually really suck at riding transition or dirt. I feel like a lot of bmx riders grew up racing or hitting ramps, so are naturally comfortable riding that stuff. I grew up just pedaling around the neighborhood on my Mach 1, completely oblivious to freestyle bmx. So when I was finally introduced to freestyle, my first few years were solely street riding. I later on got involved with the local park scene, but I guess by then street was all I knew and I was always trying to figure out new ways to practice tricks to bring to the streets. There's a lot of things I just can't seem to learn about park riding, mostly because I don't have a whole lot of bike control & I'm a friggin giant. But I always have fun and manage to progress anyways, so I guess I'm pretty content with being that guy who can't ride everything grin

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx