Headset Dustcover question

Related:
Create New Tag

11/5/2018 11:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/5/2018 11:29 AM

I built up my bike not knowing exactly what headset stack height I would be preferring so I ordered a headset with a 14mm rise dust cover which worked out great with the stem I was running(23mm rise) However I recently purchased a stem with a 31mm rise but I want to keep the same bar height. Can I remove the 14mm dust cover spacer and put a regular steer tube spacer in its place directly ontop of the expansion wedge washer or are the so called dust cover washers built differently and as such I’d need to just purchase a low profile dust cover versus my high stack cover?

Obviously I have to keep the stem From contacting the heat tube.

|

11/5/2018 11:43 AM

Yes

|

It’s all bmx

11/5/2018 12:42 PM

You may have some streeter tube sticking out of the top of your stem.

So of that's the case then you'll need to cut the steerer tube or add spacers above the stem.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/5/2018 11:14 PM

Yep, get a low stack cover (standard stack height is 5mm), chuck a 3mm spacer on top, and chop 8mm off the top of your steerer and it'll feel exactly the same

|

11/6/2018 6:49 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yep, get a low stack cover (standard stack height is 5mm), chuck a 3mm spacer on top, and chop 8mm off the top of your steerer and it'll feel exactly the same

Steve, do I have to have a stack cover? Can I just run a spacer ontop of the wedge is what I’m trying to ask.

|

11/6/2018 8:03 AM

The best is to get a small headset cap (bsd, odyssey...) and play with spacers, and yes you can put spacers above the stem.

|

11/6/2018 8:17 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Steve, do I have to have a stack cover? Can I just run a spacer ontop of the wedge is what I’m trying to ask.

Oh, so no dust cover at all? Yeah, it'll still work fine with just spacers, but dust n stuff will get in there easier

|

11/6/2018 12:44 PM

Ken at zodiac eng made some extremely low profile caps that are up on his site for sale

|