Headset Noise

Related:
Create New Tag

7/4/2017 7:12 AM

So, my headset is making a clicking sound. I took it to the shop yesterday and they tightened everything(it was very slightly loose)and it seemed to stop but it's now back. All I did was ride home. I'm 41, I've mostly just cruised my bike and it's pretty much new(bought in November and then it rained for 5 or 6 months). The biggest thing I've done on this bike is pop out of a curb cut maybe a foot and half in the air. I've never had a problem like this before. I'll be taking it in to the shop later. Hopefully it just needs a little lube.

|

7/4/2017 7:43 AM

What type of headset is it?

Regardless, some grease should fix it.

Just take it apart and make sure that anywhere where there is metal to metal contact has a layer of grease on it.

|

7/4/2017 8:16 AM

Ovalized head tube? Probably not but, since it's so new, but maybe. Try some new bearings, or clean and oil the ones you have.

|

7/4/2017 9:03 AM

Just had a look at your profile, is it still the WeThePeople Atlas you have?

If that's the case it should be super easy to fix.

Grease is your friend!

Take it all apart and make sure that if the crown race isn't built into the forks that it's seated properly. Even if it looks properly fitted it might be worth popping it off, greasing underneath and fitting again.
If the crown race is integrated, just give it a wipe down with a clean rag and put some grease on it.

Do the same thing with the bearings and inside of the headtube... wipe down and re-grease.

Put it all back together again making sure that anywhere metal is touching metal is greased.

I doubt you'll be throwing many barspins on the Atlas so when it comes to tightening the headset feel free to wrench it down a little more than usual.
I tend to hold the bike at a 45 degree angle and spin the bars super slowly. If the bars just fall back to their natural resting position with absolutely no resistance whatsoever I tighten it down a little more.

If the creaking returns I would look at replacing the headset.

|

7/4/2017 9:04 AM

Grease. My perfectly good odyssey headset deciding to start squeaking and clicking, took both the bearings out, greased the headset cups and put it all back together and haven't had an issue since

|

7/4/2017 9:44 AM

Yep it was grease. It was a little loose and I didn't notice it so there was little bit of metal filings in there but yeah, dude lubed it up and tightened the shit out of it for me. I know I could do this myself but A: I'm lazy, B: I got no grease, and C: It's new so they can fix it. And yeah it's my Atlas and no I probably won't be doing an barspins. smile

|

7/4/2017 11:49 AM

Check its not come loose again by turning your bars 90 degrees like if you were doing a tobogan and lift up on the hand grip closest to you when sitting on the bike, there shouldn't be much play, could have just worked itself loose again.

|