Headset Slack

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2018 4:10 PM

Hi guys,

Basically I was forced to switch out the stem on my bike because one of the side bolts in the stem got completely rounded and I was forced to saw it off in order to get it off the bike, (basically I can't go back to my old stem).

However, the problem I am now having, (now that I have fitted a new stem), is that if I pull up on the bars gently there are a few mm of slack in the headset before the front wheel itself lifts which is really annoying. I have tried tightening down the top cap pretty intensely but that has had no effect.

If anyone has had this problem before please let me know if there is a way to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

|

8/8/2018 4:21 PM

You need to add spacers beneath the stem. Also, your stem would probably have been fine if you'd used an easy-out to remove the bolt.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/8/2018 6:20 PM

Spacers worked for me i had the same problem 2 weeks ago

|

Street yes please

8/9/2018 12:25 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

You need to add spacers beneath the stem. Also, your stem would probably have been fine if you'd used an easy-out to remove ...more

Everyone should have an easy-out set! We'd have a lot less posts on here

|

8/9/2018 5:24 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

You need to add spacers beneath the stem. Also, your stem would probably have been fine if you'd used an easy-out to remove ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Everyone should have an easy-out set! We'd have a lot less posts on here

That is, until the right idiot gets their hands on a set and snaps one. wink

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/9/2018 7:24 AM

I don't need an easy-out set. Grease and the correct size allen wrench works wonders for never needing an easy-out set.

|

8/9/2018 7:28 AM

jbales wrote:

I don't need an easy-out set. Grease and the correct size allen wrench works wonders for never needing an easy-out set.

if only more people realized this

|

It’s all bmx

8/9/2018 7:35 AM

Sometimes I wish I could just magically transfer tiny spare parts to people for free. I've got so many old headset spacers doing nothing.

|

8/9/2018 7:38 AM

jbales wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

if only more people realized this

True... but there are WAY too many people that don't start out like this & THEN an Easy-out set is really appreciated.

|

8/9/2018 2:53 PM

Headset spacers, we don’t live in the time of quill stems anymore, you actually need compression to keep your stem in place.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/9/2018 2:57 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Headset spacers, we don’t live in the time of quill stems anymore, you actually need compression to keep your stem in place.

Tension is required on all headsets, quill stem or not. It prevents the bearings from "walking around" in the frame and prevents fork wobble.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/9/2018 4:02 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Tension is required on all headsets, quill stem or not. It prevents the bearings from "walking around" in the frame and ...more

Yeah but the methods worked differently. You could raise your old quill stem without the use of spacers, though those sum bitches sure did like to slip.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican