Headset and bb

Related:
Create New Tag

2/25/2014 4:31 PM

Okay, I have a descent complete bmx, and I was looking to do some upgrades, just wondering if there is that much of a difference from lets say and animal headset or bb to my stock headset or bb. Im also a beginner so I dont know if id notice a difference that much.

|

2/25/2014 4:54 PM

by the way my headset is integrated and my bb has sealed bearings. Dont know if this means anything but i thought id let you know.

|

2/25/2014 4:59 PM

i like headsets with a dustcap that has the inner rubber grommet for a super seal, or the eclat is cool cuz it has two dustcaps

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

2/25/2014 5:00 PM

They are all basically the same. The only really difference is different caps and spacers.

So no, you won't notice a thing.

Biggest bang for your buck upgrade would be to grab some nice high pressure tires like Fit FAFs or similar if your bike does not already have them.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/25/2014 5:08 PM

Tires.

|

2/25/2014 5:10 PM

Thanks man, I might put some of those tires on. I was thinking also a new frame and the new bars. (Fit wifi frame) Mine is bad.

|

2/25/2014 5:16 PM

Most every headset is the same besides the amount of spacers it comes with & shape of the top cap it comes with, BUT there are typically 2 different styles

this kind that only has 1 seal on it

Photo

and this kind that has 2 seals on it, only picture I could find, but it has 2 seals on it & is easier to pull apart to grease if need be, BUT in my experiences, these kinds failed a lot more than the style above, and sometimes when I'd take my bike apart & slide the fork out, the bottom piece to the bottom bearing would come out with it & the bearings would fall out with it which was annoying.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

So out of the 2, I would go with the style above if you can see a headset before you buy it, get one with just 1 seal on a single bearing. They tend to last longer for me & never fell apart like the other style did.

Oh and there's also the Kink Ceramic headset, but that's really not worth it in my opinion. It uses ceramics instead of bearings.

A bottom bracket however, most all besides ones like the KHE & some others, are exactly the same aside from how many spacers they come with & the shape of the cone spacers.

|

2/25/2014 5:17 PM

16wiebeke wrote:

Thanks man, I might put some of those tires on. I was thinking also a new frame and the new bars. (Fit wifi frame) Mine is ...more

Sweet. The Wifi is a great deal as it's one of Fit's only frames that's made in Taiwan, so you save a decent amount of cash. Fit also makes the Benny frame which has a very similar responsive geometry but it's quite a bit lighter, and it's made in the USA. Also, S&M (Fit's big brother) makes the BTM frame that is very similar, bomb proof and made in the USA.

When looking for bars, take a look at specs and don't make a huge leap to a way bigger or way smaller bar unless you are sure you would like it.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

2/25/2014 9:54 PM

16wiebeke wrote:

Thanks man, I might put some of those tires on. I was thinking also a new frame and the new bars. (Fit wifi frame) Mine is ...more

If you get the wifi I'll have my team of highly trained flying monkeys find you and do stuff to you...

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

2/25/2014 11:20 PM

If you need cheap bars that will go on forever, just get s&m grand slams.

|

2/26/2014 5:45 AM

Pretty much the only thing that changes in BBS and headset are the dustcaps.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx